Printer recommendations

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
lucy

Re: Printer recommendations

Post by lucy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:08 pm

I've used a couple of HPs and also two Canons. I can't say I've printed huge volumes with them, but, as a keen photographer, I have to say that my latest Canon prints colours more accurately than any printer I've ever had. In fact, I find that no colour adjustments are needed!

However, it may be that modern printers of other brands are just as good now, but I bought my first Canon on the basis of people's recommendations online, regarding its ability to print colours true.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

mverive

Post by mverive » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:40 pm

dng wrote:for everyday use not high end photo printing the Brother color laser printer is very good. Go to Brother web site and make your choice. I like the one with wireless printing.

I have used a Canon Pixma MX340 for a couple of years, and while it does a great job, it goes through ink like crazy (my wife uses it all the time for school-related printing, shopping, etc.). We probably consume both black and color cartridges every 6 weeks or so, at $50 or so per pair. I figure we've purchased the printer many times over by now.

I just picked up a Brother Color Laser (HL-3170CDW) with wireless, USB, and Ethernet printing. It's a pretty fast printer, does duplex printing, produces very crisp output, and based on predicted costs should save a bit of money over the Canon inkjet. The Canon is supposed to support wireless printing as well, but I could never get it to work consistently. The Brother HL-3170CDW handles printing wirelessly pretty well, although it sometimes has a hard time waking up from "deep sleep" mode when printing wirelessly (doesn't seem to have the same problem with Ethernet or USB printing).

I tried the HP Envy 120, but the small paper tray and "wonky" wireless turned me off - I ended up returning it. I really wanted to like it (small, has a pretty quick flatbed scanner, lots of options), but when it loses its wireless signal, it ends up spitting out massive amounts of paper with garbage printed all over (or worse - a few random characters per page).

Anyway, lots of options out there, so hopefully this will help sort out the various printers and options.

Mike
"(P)Lay on, MacDuff, And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'"

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:59 am

An update ….

We struggled on with the older printers until about 2 months ago. The newest of the two condemned first as it crapped out completely. The decade old machine continued. We bought a new Epson (foolish us?) - the XP-960 which can in theory also do A3. We have a requirement for a good scanner and only the somewhat more expensive all in ones have the higher optical resolution we want. While stand along scanners are still available, stand alone injects seem to be nonexistent, hence the all in one.

The new feature is that we bought a continuous ink system (ciss) to use with it. We fitted that once the printer started asking for new ink cartridges. It is much too early to reach a verdict on the ciss however first impressions are good. There is an interesting twist to this. We are actually getting original Epson ink for the kiss system. What the supplier suggests is using the ink that epson supplies in bottles for some of its other printers. It is still more expensive than purely generic ink but cheaper than cartridges which are tiny on this printer especially if you were really using the A3 feature.

If you are looking for specific color-fastness and specific longevity based on using premium papers then of course you would have to do your homework in that respect, but so far so good. The 6 bottles of epson ink plus the ciss cost something in the order of 3 sets of cartridges and the bottles contain something in the same order as 20 cartridges each.

Inconvenience. The ciss requires you to keep the printer open slightly which means dust can get in and also that the scanner unit is at an angle. Inconvenient by not a deal breaker. One improvement I will look into is recycling the "waste ink". Epsons do endless head cleanings and collect a huge amount of ink over time in the waste ink sponge. Some companies sell a little tray for collecting this and you can recycle it as black ink. It involves ripping the printer apart to get at the collector, but might be worthwhile. Eventually the printer can't clean the heads because the sponges are too saturated to sop up any more ink

We got it from a UK company called cityinkexpress. The we dealt with, who I think is the owner, very likely a one mane show, is very prompt in answer questions and his you tube videos showing you how to set it up are excellent. Not the absolute cheapest of the available options but he consistently gets good reviews.

I will update this again in the future - maybe when we have used about half the first bottles of ink, by which time the system will have pay for itself a number of times over and covered the cost of the printer too. Could be two years …. :-)

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Another update. I also notice the huge number of horrible typos in the previous post. Most are not my typos but "corrections" that the spell checker put in that I did not spot and it is now unfortunately too late to edit them. Sorry.

We have had the continuous ink system running for a few months now. So far no issues. Print quality is good enough on plain paper which is what I use most. My wife uses some coated papers as well as also some photo paper and is happy so far too. I am not sure how much we have printed but guessing from how much ink has been used from the external tanks, the system may well have already paid for itself when compared to full price cartridges. Not having to regularly replace cartridges is also nice.

For whatever reason the printer so far has not been doing the endless head cleanings that we had gotten used to with the older printer. That saves an enormous amount of ink. Also good.

Finger crossed that it continues to work well.

Ivo Alviz

Post by Ivo Alviz » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:41 pm

Try Samsung Color expression. It's laser printer with good quality of colors.

dsj

Post by dsj » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:16 pm

HP Laser Jet Pro MFP M277dw. I have had it for about five months. Nice color and 20ppm which is plenty fast for my use.

mikey445

Post by mikey445 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:25 pm

I like Canon..have a Pixma 610 right now. Cartridges are very easy to refill so the ink costs are very minimal.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:01 pm

As a reminder, we have an epson xp-960 multifuntion device with an after-market continuous ink system attached. This replaces our earlier epsons. The whole lot is about 3 months old now.

Very rough numbers here and based our 960 and ink sourced in the UK. Genuine Epson XL cartridges are rated at 440 pages @ 5% coverage. You need 6. Cost approx $100 for 55ml of ink if using the XL cartridges. (23c a page for ink at 5% coverage.) If you actually print photos then the pages drop to maybe 50 (never really tested it but it is very low) so about $2 ink for a letter/A4 size photo.

The endless head cleaning wastes a lot of the ink in any case. With a continuous ink system, after you have bought and installed the set-up, 600ml of genuine Epson ink costs approx $100 (6 x 100ml bottles originally destined for Epsons own "eco" range of low end printers with build in tanks ) and non-branded ink costs $50 for the same amount.

Very happy that we jumped for the continuous ink system. Economically it is cost neutral if the printer fails at about 1500 pages and there-after it is just a good and economical printer. An added bonus is not continuously dumping used cartridges into landfill and saving time by not continuously have to get up and change yet another cartridge. If anyone wants more info about it you can pm.

Simon

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:27 pm

simonm wrote:As a reminder, we have an epson xp-960 multifuntion device with an after-market continuous ink system attached. This replaces our earlier epsons. The whole lot is about 3 months old now.

Very rough numbers here and based our 960 and ink sourced in the UK. Genuine Epson XL cartridges are rated at 440 pages @ 5% coverage. You need 6. Cost approx $100 for 55ml of ink if using the XL cartridges. (23c a page for ink at 5% coverage.) If you actually print photos then the pages drop to maybe 50 (never really tested it but it is very low) so about $2 ink for a letter/A4 size photo.

The endless head cleaning wastes a lot of the ink in any case. With a continuous ink system, after you have bought and installed the set-up, 600ml of genuine Epson ink costs approx $100 (6 x 100ml bottles originally destined for Epsons own "eco" range of low end printers with build in tanks ) and non-branded ink costs $50 for the same amount.

Very happy that we jumped for the continuous ink system. Economically it is cost neutral if the printer fails at about 1500 pages and there-after it is just a good and economical printer. An added bonus is not continuously dumping used cartridges into landfill and saving time by not continuously have to get up and change yet another cartridge. If anyone wants more info about it you can pm.

Simon
Just another update after about 1 year of running the continuous ink system.

At a guess we are down to about one third of the ink we bought. That means we have used roughly the equivalent of 7 sets (x6) of original cartridges. We will likely get some more ink in the summer. Still very happy. The only minor glitch has been that the ink tube management system began to get caught in the mechanism. My wife solved that pretty quickly with a little bit of duct tape. Faultless since then, but we keep and eye on the tape to make sure it hasn't stretched or otherwise deteriorated. That specific problem is most likely exclusive to this A3 model as the tubing is much longer than in the A4 models.

The system has paid for itself and the printer already. The quality of the printing is good. No issues. We have not carried out any longevity tests on the colors but in this particular case it is original Epson ink in any case so it should be the same unless Epson sells different grade inks (with same branding) in different countries. No endless head cleaning, with associated waste of time and ink, when changing cartridges.

The printer occasionally claims we are running out of ink and wants to "help" us order more original cartridges. This is to be expected and the instructions tell you what to. It is a matter of re-seating one or more cartridges and saying yes to the warning about not using original cartridges.

doug

Post by doug » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:47 pm

We had a Canon at the office which worked well until I upgraded my computer to Windows 7, and the old Canon wasn't compatible. I went to an office supply store and found the youngest clerk I could see, and asked about a printer. She recommended an HP, so I bought it. I have no regrets! It gets used quite a bit....we're a small business...... and the print quality is very good. It prints very good quality photos. I'd buy another one.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple. "Luz Blanca" 2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE
2012 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, SP
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:49 am

Joe de V wrote:I like the Canon printers but the cost of ink replacement turned to be too much.On my last visit to the office suppies stores I found the Epson Model XP-310 that now meets all my printing needs in both black and color ink. I am also please that the replacement are much lower in cost when I order via the Epson webssite in addition to free shipping and receive them within 48 hours via Fed Ex.
The Epson XP-310 cost me under $55.00 and is also WI-FI capable. I did have to figure out how to program it for my own choices but now it is working just fine. Take a look at it.
This is an up-date: The last time I went to get my black ink supply replace I found the Epson Model XP-410 on sale for Under $50. including the color and black ink - smaller capacity but still about 60% of the full capacity found in the standard replacement packages. The ink I was searching to replace would have cost me just $2.20 Less than the whole new XP-410 All in One Unit that also includes a wi-fi connection. This illustrate to me that the printer manufacturers made their big profit on the ink not the hardware. I check everytime I need ink for any possible changes that may save me some cost but to this date the Epson brand seems to offer more value - including ink replacement- than any other brand.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:56 am

Difficult question. I can't add much except that I've found I really don't need much in the way of a printer. It would be nice to have a colour printer photocopier scanner, but after initially printing off a few reams of song sheets and stuff a few years ago and not being a photographer, I find that my B&W Brother HL-2035 doesn't really get used often enough to warrant an upgrade. I'm on my second ink cartridge.

Yes, there are a lot of modern printers that auto-clean every time you switch them on. It's a rip-off and it's stupid. Do they gum up if you don't switch them off?
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:... Do they gum up if you don't switch them off?
Certainly our older Epson ink jets got "streaky" if they were not used for a while. Apparently the ink hardens in the tiny holes it comes out through. The cleaning de-clogs them somehow but sometimes it took many cycles over two days to get the previous one working again. It probably wasted more than half the total ink we bought.

The current printer with the third party continuous ink system probably does a head clean at startup but nothing whatsoever like the previous one. On our very first inkjet, a canon over 20 years ago, the print heads were on the cartridge. So effectively you renewed part of the printing mechanism with each new cartridge. However, we used to use a syringe and refill the cartridges a number of times. Worked fine.

The reason I bumped this thread is not because I am looking for a printer but in case anyone was interested in my experience with the continuous ink system. I was a bit skeptical at first because of the "too good to be true" promises however I bought based on the thought that it could not be worse than what I had already. I am now a pleasantly surprised believer.

doug

Post by doug » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:04 pm

I never turn mine off, unless I'm expecting some really bad weather and think that the electricity may pop on an off. I've never had it to "gum up." It automatically cleans itself.....occasionally it will pause in the middle of printing something and do a "cleaning."
It's an HP Officejet Pro 8500A, and I've had it a couple of years. It's literally printed thousands of copies! The only time I've had any "trouble" with it was when I had to replace a print head. Replacing the toner cartridges is simple, and it tells me when I need to do it!
When I bought it, my wife said, "I don't think we're going to like it?" .....she has since changed her mind.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple. "Luz Blanca" 2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE
2012 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, SP
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C

mverive

Post by mverive » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:00 pm

Since we're updating...

My Brother Color Laser (HL-3170CDW) has worked flawlessly, and I can get third-party toner for half of the price of the Brother toner, and output is just as good. Has a large paper tray, can do front-feed as well (handy for envelopes and one-off printing of labels, etc without having to open the main tray). Have it hooked up to my network router for direct printing from any connected device, so I can print from my computers, iPad, Android devices, etc. Still use my Canon Pixma MX340 for photos, but for fast day-to-day printing, the Brother Laser has been my best purchase in a long time.

Just to echo other users, I had a couple Epson printers with the piezo print heads, and while they performed well, you HAVE to use them frequently of the nozzles get clogged, and waste a lot of ink trying to get the print heads unclogged. And they still don't always work even after "cleaning".

Mike
"(P)Lay on, MacDuff, And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'"

Return to “The Café”