Favorite non-classical albums

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Re: Favorite non-classical albums

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:33 pm

I wanted to add Nina Simone "my baby just cares for me" to the Andromeda list and it is differently worth a try for those who don't know her.

From the other favorites suggested my vote goes to Beirute - the Flying Club Cup, Carole King Tapestry and Joni Mitchell - Hejira
After many years I have listened again to Fleetwood Mac Rumours and it is really special. I am also really obsessed about Crosby, Stills, and Nash - Their first album with Suite Judy Blue-eyes ( I was still too young when it was on the top but I have stolen it, "borrowed" without saying anything,from my uncles collection)
bear wrote:
ChristianSchwengeler wrote:Another of my Andromeda selections would be for sure Celia Cruz & Sonora Matancera - Oya, Diosa y Fe (©1954)
excellent.
Thank you Bear, Celia Cruz is probably one of my favorite ever
dory wrote:I second the vote for Billie Holliday. I am completely obsessed. For slightly more unusual choices I highly recommend Silvio Rodriguez. He has a spectacular voice and is a great singer/songwriter. He is also great to sing along withnif you are a tenor or a soprano-- great for the boredom of those long intergalactic flights. Finally, my most obscure pick for English speakers. Vintage Maxime le Forestier. Not his recent stuff which is ok but not exciting but his very old tunes. If I had a very long and boring flight I might throw in some older Gordon Lightfoot albums (can you tell I like singing along and higher pitched voices?) and maybe some Cesaria Evora--obviously challenging for someone with no lower range to sing along with but fun to listen to. Maybe also some Paris Combo. Ok. I give up. Stuff the darn spaceship full or get an ipod.
Billie Holliday and Cesaria Evora is a very good choice - I will tell the crew about your singing - no problem we will enjoy the flight.

bear

Post by bear » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Celia Cruz-Azucar Negra
Gloria Estafan –Mi Tierra

Actually anything by either of them.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Tricky Fish

Post by Tricky Fish » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:50 pm

I forgot this one from my earlier list:

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:34 am

Leonard Cohen: Songs of Leonard Cohen

chinyc

Post by chinyc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:36 am

Brian Eno- Another Green World
Plaid- Not for Three
Simon and Garfunkel- Bookends
Miles Davis- Pangaea
Manu Chao- Clandestino
Cordoba Custom Artist SP/IN

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Come on! :D we have still seats in the spacecraft! I have much more favorites: how about Dollar Brand - African Market Place?

bear

Post by bear » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:01 pm

Tony Bennett - Duets: An American Classic
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

dory

Post by dory » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:32 am

I forgot Joan Baez Diamonds and Rust. In general I feel she swoops a bit too much when she sings, but I love that album and also associate it with travel because I took a long flight to Spain many years ago with a discount airline that didn't seem to have any other entertainment but that one album, and I remember them playing it incessantly throughout the flight. Strangely I have great memories of flying through the night with endless repeats of Diamonds and Rust. Must have travel album for me.
Dory

GuitarX

Post by GuitarX » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:38 am

Deep Purple "Made in Japan" and pretty much any Jimi Hendrix.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:30 pm

dory wrote:I forgot Joan Baez Diamonds and Rust. In general I feel she swoops a bit too much when she sings, but I love that album and also associate it with travel because I took a long flight to Spain many years ago with a discount airline that didn't seem to have any other entertainment but that one album, and I remember them playing it incessantly throughout the flight. Strangely I have great memories of flying through the night with endless repeats of Diamonds and Rust. Must have travel album for me.
Joan Baez Vol 2 is one of my favorites too. I must have listened to it hundreds of times. If I have understood it right these are actually a collection of traditional American ballads. I find it amazing how much music one (woman) can make only with her voice. I love most these following songs
Wagoner's Lad, The Trees They Do Grow High, The Lily of the West, Engine 143,Once I Knew a Pretty Girl, Lonesome Road, Banks of the Ohio

Sanft

Post by Sanft » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:02 am

I first thought that by "non-classical" you mean Rennaissance or Baroque - sorry! My fault.
So you mean pop-music... hmmm...
That's easy!
None.
Clemens … el niño que soñó la musica :fume:
"...si nos quedáramos cuarenta y ocho horas seguidas sin música, habria una catástrofe mundial." Leo Brouwer
7stringed Matthias Dammann 1997; 9stringed Neuner&Hornsteiner ~ 1880
7stringed 1829 Staufer/Legnani replica by F. P. Dietrich 2007

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:09 am

Sanft wrote:I first thought that by "non-classical" you mean Rennaissance or Baroque - sorry! My fault.
So you mean pop-music... hmmm...
That's easy!
None.
Clemens … el niño que soñó la musica :fume:
We are no fanatics and you can suggest what ever you judge not being classical. I have also such cases where you can't say exactly in which section you should put it. How about: Rolf Lislevand, Ensemble Kapsberger - Alfabeto ??

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:45 pm

OK, I give you one more for free. search on YouTube for "Grana od bora - Bojan Z quartet" - it is unbelievable :casque:

dory

Post by dory » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:50 am

A lot of people have suggested music I haven't heard. I think I know what I am doing this weekend-- exploring new music. I love many different styles. I do like early music but there is so much more that isn't classical
Dory

doug

Post by doug » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:41 pm

"Freewayman" Pat Donohue
"The Colonel & The Governor" Tommy Emmanuel & Martin Taylor
"15th Anniversary Celebration" The Seldom Scene
"Columbus Stockade Blues" Doc & Merle Watson
"Railroad Bill" Etta Baker
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple. "Luz Blanca" 2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE
2012 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, SP
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C

Return to “The Café”