traveling to Cuba this summer any suggestions ?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
singvomblatt

Re: traveling to Cuba this summer any suggestions ?

Post by singvomblatt » Mon May 18, 2015 5:22 pm

I discovered the music of Ernesto Lecuona !! superb !!! working on 'La Comparsa' arr. by Manuel Barrueco!!
feeling the Cuban rhythm already !! so exciteded !!

LVR

Post by LVR » Tue May 19, 2015 2:46 am

PM sent.
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Wed May 20, 2015 11:49 am

Just back from two weeks in Cuba. Lovely country, wonderful people, who are very friendly, even when they are not trying to sell you something. People from this side of the Atlantic will be struck by how empty Cuba is. Even so, travel can be very slow. The roads are often in bad (or very bad) condition. While there is so little traffic that drivers can often compensate for potholes on the right-hand side of the road by driving on the left, what traffic there is can bring vehicles to a grinding halt as there are lots of horse-drawn vehicles and bicycles.

Another thing to be aware of shortages. In the first place, by European standards, there are hardly any shops and those there are only have things you probably don't want - unless you are happy to exist on a diet of rum and biscuits. We arrived after a period of record high temperatures and found large bottles of drinking water were unavailable throughout the whole area - probably the whole island. All in all, we were glad to be in one of the all-inclusive hotels and to have booked it as part of a package as this was much cheaper than paying on the spot.

The easiest form of guitar music to find is in the casas de la trova. We were surprised to find one even in a smallish town like Holguin. Trova is a song style accompanied by two guitars. The best-know trova is Guantanamera.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

LVR

Post by LVR » Wed May 20, 2015 8:24 pm

I 'm glad Derek had a good time in Cuba; his discussion of trova needs some work, though. Trova, whether traditional or trova nueva, is distinguished by a singer-songwriter making poetic lyrics and original music, often accompanying himself on guitar, sometimes solo, sometimes with other musicians - duo, trios, quartets, sextets, and larger groups all exist, and the instruments include guitar, tres, mandolina and others. Some well known trova tradicional musicians are Sindo Garay, Compay Segundo, Eliades Ochoa. Some well-known trova nueva musicians are Carlos Puebla, who sort of spans the tradicional-nueva eras, Pablo Milanes, and the amazing Silvio Rodriguez, whose wildly popular concerts in unlikely venues are still the hottest ticket on the island, except maybe Los VanVan.

Guantanamera is the Romance of Cuban music, the "OMG not that again please" in spite of its poetic lyrics, taken from Jose Marti's Versos Sencillos and eventually tacked onto Joseito Fernandez's (probably) tune. Holguin is not a small town by Cuban standards, but a city, the capital of a province of the same name. Not much by European standards, perhaps, but think how tiny European cities would appear by Chinese standards. "Todo es segun el color del cristal con que se mira."
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream

singvomblatt

Post by singvomblatt » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:01 pm

Wow !!
it is getting close !! Monday I fly from Amsterdam to Havanna !! I am soooo excited !!!!
I hope I find nice people, great connections. Maybe I find Leo Brower ?? He wanted to come to Hersbruck to the Guitar festival there, to give a concert, but he was sick then.

Wish me luck: Heidi

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:36 pm

Enjoy the trip. I am sure you will. Maybe you will even decide to stay there!

singvomblatt

Post by singvomblatt » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:38 pm

hello, I am here !!
What a shock !! It started at the airport already. One have to know the difference between CUP and CUC other whise one can be soon a poor women.
I am here !!! what a culture shock it is !! and I still figure out the money part CUP and CUC !!
I think if one is not careful with this distinction one can be soon a poor woman here. It started right at the airport and the taxis. the one wanted to give me a ride to town for 40 CUC (which equals 40 Euros), the other wanted 30 and so on at last I was feed up with it all and walked away. After a while walking around corners crossing streets I found a public bus station which charged me 1 CUC to the area I had to go for my hostel, which was near Placa de la revolution. Puh !!!
First impressions are right positive people are super friendly and helpful. There is a lot new and old next to each other !! and so is poor and rich at the same time. I have not found a guitar store jet. Music yes !! all over in the bars and restaurants to entertain the tourists. But to their conditions which is almost not affordable for ""normal"" citizens.
the internet in this hotel here is 4 Euros for 15 Min. so I have to stop.

singvomblatt

Post by singvomblatt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:21 am

hello everybody,
I hope I can now react so quick that it will keep my text.

singvomblatt

Post by singvomblatt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:23 am

Meanwhile I am in Santiago de Cuba, travelled all the way from Havanna through all the big places Vinales. Playa LaRGO , cONFUEGOS. cAMAWAY, hOLGUIN, NOW i AM IN sANTIAGO DE cUBA.

singvomblatt

Post by singvomblatt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:26 am

mUSIC ALL OVER THE PLACES IN THE STREETS, THE PARKS, BARS, DANCING HALLS.
aLLOVER FRIENDLY PEOPLE, HELPFUL ADVICES. iNTELLECTUALLS ARE HARD TO FIND, ESPECIALLY WITH MY BROKEN SPANISH. tHAT IS ANOTHER GOAL i HAVE, LEARNISNG THE SPANISH LANGUAGE.

singvomblatt

Post by singvomblatt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:27 am

I have not played my guitar for so long and I miss it very much. But I hope some rhythm will stick with me when I am home again.

singvomblatt

Post by singvomblatt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:29 am

Another strange experience is that I had not have access to a Computer for so long ) here I found a place for two CUC an hour), but It quits on me all the time. Also no Telefon, no news, no TV, no Radio

singvomblatt

Post by singvomblatt » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:30 am

So I hope this keeps you updated. I will tell you more when I am home.
Take care

singvomblatt

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:19 am

I love the show 'Cuban Chrome.' I almost wish I could donate an engine hoist to Demetrio.
Help!

bear

Post by bear » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:12 pm

singvomblatt wrote:I have not played my guitar for so long and I miss it very much. But I hope some rhythm will stick with me when I am home again.
I bought some cd's of Cuban music several years ago by The Buena Vista Social Club.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Return to “The Café”