traveling to Cuba this summer any suggestions ?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Joe de V

Re: traveling to Cuba this summer any suggestions ?

Post by Joe de V » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:01 pm

A visit to Cuba will expose you to two different worlds - One where there are exclusive areas set aside for visitor where the local Cuban, unless he/she is working there will not be permitted to enter. - It will be worth taking time and look at the 2013 Documentary - PBS Network - "Cuba's Secret Side" where you may get a good update of what is happening at least as of 2013 to the average Cuban in their every day life. I also look forward to visit Cuba since I had many Cuban friends while living in Puerto Rico from my age of 18 month to 17. Puerto Rico and Cuba share the same musical styles. Much different than the styles found in Mexico and some Central and South American nations. When I came back to the mainland and after retirement here in California I met two self-tough adult guitar players and we started a Trio - Trio Caribe - where we play primarily music from both of those islands as well as Central and South America.
In the old days - prior to the 1950's it was a saying that every child was born with the talent to play the guitar and other stringed instruments and the Cuban people in particular where very strong believers that a string instrument playing should be part of the education of a young child. You will enjoy the musical sounds of Cuba and the open friendliness of their people.
One thing I tend to believe based on my personal observations with the majority of people I have met is that in spite of their dire economic situation the average Cuban citizen is happier with friends and music than than the average American citizen.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:32 pm

andreas777 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:54 pm
When I was in Cuba with a Chilean girl friend a few years ago, we met some musicans near Varadero and in Havana. There was a fascinating street band, four members who played guitar and sang Cuban songs. (I forgot their name but I bought a CD.) My girl friend talked to them and asked them to compose a song for her. Then they played some songs only for us, and the voice of the lead singer was as load as a jet plane. Very impressive!
I quote my own comment to revive this old thread.
This autumn I will go to Cuba again, this time for 3 weeks, and I will visit many areas from East to West. Does someone here in the forum have a suggestion regarding 'guitar' and 'Cuba'? I'm not interested in general tips (accommodation or sightseeing), and I've already met lots of street musicians in Cuba. What I'm looking for are guitar events, public guitar schools, places to go and hear (good) guitar music or meet Cuban guitar players, or any other tips or experiences with guitarist or guitars in Cuba.
20 classical guitars, soon 21 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:25 am

Bring a nice bicycle with full suspension, patch kit...good tires...ride and smoke some cigars :)

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:12 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:25 am
Bring a nice bicycle with full suspension, patch kit...good tires...ride and smoke some cigars :)
Unfortunately my mtb is slightly too big for my hand luggage :) but what about the availability of guitar strings in Cuba, does it make sense to bring some sets of strings to Cuba as gifts?
20 classical guitars, soon 21 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Return to “The Café”