Neologisms you hate

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Neologisms you hate

Postby dory » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:15 pm

I just noticed a strong sentiment against the word "gifted" (or "to gift") on the death metal thread. Having a background in linguistics I am aware that language changes constantly, but I also cringe when I hear gift used as a verb. Another neologism I cirdially dislike is the word "symbology." I would like to know what is wrong with the word "symbolism," and who gave the author Dan Brown, who is too violent for my tastes anyway, the power to chane the English language. Are there any neologisms that the rest of you live to hate?
Dory

markodarko

Re: Neologisms you hate

Postby markodarko » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Surely the English language is an ever evolving medium of communication. It wasn't written all in one go but added to, pruned and refined over the years - itself a mishmash of languages. Words that we commonly use today wouldn't have been around 100 years ago and I'm sure in another 100 years it will be completely different again as it's modified to better suit our needs, otherwise we'd still be using Latin.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:08 pm

I realize that languages evolve, but that doesn't mean that certain new words do not annoy me! We can still be annoyed by new words that are just lazy and stupid, such as dory's original example, and how about the word "trending"? That one is so ubiquitous, I am almost getting used to hearing it (but I refuse to use it!). So many nouns are turned into verbs these days, and that is definitely a pet peeve of mine.

As for Dan Brown, I started reading one of his novels once (on the recommendation of a friend), and his writing style irritated me so intensely that I literally jumped up from my chair, went out into the hallway of my apartment building, and flung the book down the hall as hard as I could throw it. I hated it that much!

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:17 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:As for Dan Brown, I started reading one of his novels once (on the recommendation of a friend), and his writing style irritated me so intensely that I literally jumped up from my chair, went out into the hallway of my apartment building, and flung the book down the hall as hard as I could throw it. I hated it that much!

Pah ha ha! :lol:

Still, back to guitaring for me...

pogmoor

Postby pogmoor » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Because I realise language changes constantly I try and reconcile myself to new word usage, but I do find myself irritated by some phrases that suddenly leap into prominence. In the UK everyone seems to have started using the phrase 'going forward' when talking about plans, policies or anything that's going to happen in the future. It's always totally redundant since plans etc can only influence the future. Another one is the phrase used about computer software. Every new version of a product these days is built 'from the ground up'......which means what exactly? :?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:43 pm

Not sure if this is strictly a neologism or not, but one thing that's driving me nuts, particularly as its UK election-fever time (perhaps more accurately, election-snore time) is the use of "going to" all the time, as in "where are you going to find the savings to fund xyz" when its not "going to" because they haven't won the election yet! What's wrong with "where would you find..." ... fewer syllables!

Is that something we've picked up from the US, or something we've managed to invent for ourselves?

Its actually rare I stoop to hating anything to do with language. That's one!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Erik Zurcher

Postby Erik Zurcher » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:51 pm

Yeah like groovy, man. Dig wha'I mean? Check it out, babe! The sixties were so far out! I'm just sayin'...
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

khayes

Postby khayes » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:55 pm

One I've heard lately is the use of 'effort' as a verb. Some newscaster will say "We are efforting to bring this story to you". Seriously???
Ken

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:14 pm

"I have a big ask for you" :nerveux: :nerveux: :nerveux:

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:41 pm

That's so sick.

Poncho

Postby Poncho » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:17 pm

There is a word that I hate hearing. The word is frequently used by the TV, pre-game, jock-sniffers when they are talking about athletes. That word is "physicality". It sounds made-up, and it makes the speaker sound ignorant.

chiral3

Postby chiral3 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:32 pm

1) "just sayin'"
2) "revert" (as in the british military via southeast asia colonization imported to the US via globalization; as in "I need to revert back to Jim and see.")
3) "value-added" or "value-add" used as an adjective
4) "center of excellence"
5) "scalable" (everything is scalable nowadays)
6) kitschy portmanteaus and other annoying concatenations whereby the sum of two asinine words far exceeds the dipshittery of the parts. E.g., "bootylicious", "chillax", "sexting", "shockumentary", any action prefixed to an opportunity such as "poopportunity" or "swapportunity". Also applies to proper names, e.g., "Bennifer" or "Brangelina".
7) "best in class" is always invoked to polish a turd. If a company has "best in class" compliance and says so publicly they are doing something illegal.
8 ) "meme" Something that is memetic is well defined. You can't call anything and everything that resonates with the rabble a "meme".
A tree falls the way it leans. - The Lorax

BWV1079

Postby BWV1079 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:34 pm

I hate "twerking" and "selfie"!

Another noun used as a verb these days is "friend," as in "friend me." I think we can blame social media for many of these outrages.

Oh...what is happening to direct objects? I frequently hear "Come with?" instead of "Are you coming with me?" Complete sentences are always nice. I'm sure we could fill many pages with examples of language abuse.

Tricky Fish

Postby Tricky Fish » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:38 pm

The corporate world abounds with "learnings". Whatever happened to "lessons"?

ArthurG

Postby ArthurG » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:45 pm

Go Chiral!

English is such a rich and many sourced language that most neologisms are unnecessary replacements of perfectly good existing words. Sheeplike folk all like to bleat in tune so new words and phrases spread quickly. A particular gripe of mine which applies in the UK is a phrase not a word, people no longer seem to 'love' something or someone, but rather they are 'loving it'. Pthooey!

However, new words are punchy and effective, and I think 'dipshittery' deserves an honourable mention here. :-)

Return to “The Café”