Neologisms you hate

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Mark Featherstone

Re: Neologisms you hate

Post by Mark Featherstone » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:10 am

Well that brought this thread to a crashing halt.
Francisco Navarro Concert Classical, cedar top, 630 mm scale, 50 mm nut

"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
Bruce Cockburn

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:11 am

Word.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Mark Featherstone

Post by Mark Featherstone » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:19 am

And the Word was God.

Bruce Cockburn

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:17 am

...and darkness was upon the face of the deep...

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:34 am

...And the Captain said, "Tell us a story Bosun."...

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:51 am

We've a great love for contractions (of all kinds) in this part of the world, the foremost of which is quite probably the much maligned (nowadays at least) expression "amn't" (as in "Am not").

For example: "Do you you the rest stroke?"
"Ah, I amn't a big fan of it to be honest"

It's also commonly used by an irritated question-ee when choosing to answer a question with another question as a form of mild rebuke:

"Have you bathed the dog yet John?"
"Sure amn't I after spending the last hour waist high in suds?!"
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

Mark Featherstone

Post by Mark Featherstone » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:39 pm

RoryJohn wrote:We've a great love for contractions (of all kinds) in this part of the world, the foremost of which is quite probably the much maligned (nowadays at least) expression "amn't" (as in "Am not").

It's also commonly used by an irritated question-ee when choosing to answer a question with another question as a form of mild rebuke:

"Have you bathed the dog yet John?"
"Sure amn't I after spending the last hour waist high in suds?!"
Hey, that's great. I love it. We don't have anything so interesting in Canada. There is the very canuck "eh" of course. In the maritimes, they use "right" and "some" in ways I haven't heard anywhere else, and I wonder if they might have Irish roots. Examples: That guy is right crazy. (Meaning very crazy.) That tire is some flat. (Meaning very flat.)

Bruce Cockburn

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:45 pm

I used to work in the Welsh valleys for a TV production company and there was a guy there who would add "enough" to the end of sentences:

- It's too hot enough
- It's too fast enough

I thought it was quite endearing and used to use it from time to time for a chuckle.

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:58 pm

Mark Featherstone wrote: Hey, that's great. I love it. We don't have anything so interesting in Canada. There is the very canuck "eh" of course. In the maritimes, they use "right" and "some" in ways I haven't heard anywhere else, and I wonder if they might have Irish roots. Examples: That guy is right crazy. (Meaning very crazy.) That tire is some flat. (Meaning very flat.)
Haha! great stuff. "Right" is definitely used in that context, usually as in "He's a right fool, that fella", strangely enough, "He's some fool, that fella" means the same thing but I've never heard people to use it in relation to inanimate objects like tires.
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

FauxFox

Post by FauxFox » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Fairly common use of the word 'right' in northern England too.

However, on the western side of the hills that roughly divide the North it's pronounced 'reet' and on the eastern side as 'raht'.

They also have an amusing way with past tense verbs in this (north western) corner of the country with gems such as 'tret' for treated and 'frit' for frightened.

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:50 pm

dory wrote:I just noticed a strong sentiment against the word "gifted" (or "to gift") on the death metal thread. Having a background in linguistics I am aware that language changes constantly, but I also cringe when I hear gift used as a verb. Another neologism I cirdially dislike is the word "symbology." I would like to know what is wrong with the word "symbolism," and who gave the author Dan Brown, who is too violent for my tastes anyway, the power to chane the English language. Are there any neologisms that the rest of you live to hate?
kind of strange to hear somebody's discontent about every little irrelevant and meaningless things going on in the world, when there's far worse problems to moan about. I would never marry someone like that, can anybody imagine how needlessly harder would life be? Plus, they don't even bother to check their own spelling.

Man! 'I hate this'. 'I hate that'. 'The soup is too cold'. 'This chair is too short'. 'Today is too rainy '. 'Why doesn't everybody uses the words I like?'

Everybody moaning and bitching about the most meaningless things. Not even I, who admittedly am not the most likeable person in the world, do all this bitching and moaning about all these little stupid things. Seriously, grow up, people. Read a book like 'The Pianist', NOT frigging Dan Brown or junk like that for the 14 years old, and grow up. And make sure you read the book; watching the movie is too easy; reading the book, alone, takes guts. And when you have done that, read the story of Czesława Kwoka, and people like her, no matter when they lived or what war there was at the time or where they came from. All these other stupid problems will fade out into insignificance. The world owes nothing to you or me or anybody, and it will go on without either.

Then again, if you find a ridiculous book like Dan Brown's 'too violent', I must assume that you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and watched only Disney movies.

Regards
DM

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:51 pm

delayedMusician wrote:Read a book like 'The Pianist', NOT frigging Dan Brown or junk like that for the 14 years old, and grow up.
DM, I'm not sure why you are going around posting angry or provocative posts in old threads, or threads which don't even interest you - and what you hope to achieve by that - and although I previously said I would no longer try and reason with you... for the slim chance that you are not aware of your actions, as advice from one human being to another - cut it out.

Now, none of us know what's going on in your private life but you can't go around writing personal attacks or provoking people on a public forum without repercussions. It doesn't take a genius to work out that before too long either everyone will add you to their foe list, or a moderator will step in - or both.

This forum is a place where like-minded people get to hang out. Yes, mainly to talk about music and the guitar but also to kick back and talk about ANYTHING - especially in the Cafe section.

Yes, some approach replies with humour, some not, but that's because we are all individual. It would be the same in a group situation in the real world. You cannot go around telling people that they are not allowed humour, or that they have to reply to your threads in a certain way or you'll block them, or that they have to like this music or that book etc. We are all different.

This community works because we ARE all individual.

What we have in common here though, is common courtesy. In the same way you wouldn't dare provoke or "bully" RoryJohn or others in real life like you're doing on here (as I'm sure you'd get far more than you bargained for), nor should you do so here.

Now, I'm all for wiping the slate clean and starting again. So if you want to do that then great. At the very least you need to apologise to certain people, either publicly or privately and then we can all move on. If not, if you really want to continue trying to bring down this forum by posting something nasty in every thread you don't like the look of, then as I said previously, it won't take long for a moderator to step in.

Take a step back. There's so much to like about this forum and it's a fantastic resource and sounding board. Let's keep it that way. What say you?

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:34 pm

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:30 pm

RoryJohn wrote: (...)
I usen't be a fan of rest stroke but sure amn't I getting like so used to it now.

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:42 pm

One I used to hear a lot in the office (before retirement):
"Long story short..."

Return to “The Café”