Wearable vibrating metronome

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
markodarko

Wearable vibrating metronome

Post by markodarko » Sat May 23, 2015 8:50 am

Here's an interesting little thing. Copy this link into your browser:

indiegogo.com/projects/soundbrenner-pulse-wearable-device-for-musicians/x/9662367#/story

It's a vibrating metronome that you can wear on your wrist / arm / leg. I thought it interesting for those times in the evening when you want to practice technical stuff to a metronome without disturbing others.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Kent

Re: Wearable vibrating metronome

Post by Kent » Sat May 23, 2015 3:10 pm

Thanks, I purchased one. Looks like a really good idea.
I can't stand the annoying click of a analog metronome. Hoping this will get me back to using one daily.

Alain Cloutier

Post by Alain Cloutier » Sat May 23, 2015 3:55 pm

Very interesting! Thanks!

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Sat May 23, 2015 3:57 pm

You're welcome. Yes, it is a good idea if it works. Worth a punt I thought. I use a metronome every time I practice technical stuff but at night the constant clicking can drive my parter crazy - even if she is a musician - at least I THINK it's the metronome that drives her crazy. :-D

Recently I've been putting an earphone in one ear and hearing the metronome that way but this will hopefully solve that.

Malcolm Kavalsky

Post by Malcolm Kavalsky » Sun May 24, 2015 3:07 am

Interesting idea, quick search revealed that if you have a pebble watch here is an app.
No pain, no pain.

thatGingerMojo

Post by thatGingerMojo » Mon May 25, 2015 7:57 pm

awesome idea, thanks for the share. won't be delivered until November though. Really disappointing.

mc1

Post by mc1 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:45 pm

peterson make one as well, the body beat. also, many metronomes have a visible light function you can use silently.

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Mon May 25, 2015 10:14 pm

That Paterson metronome is not exactly small or portable and is somewhat of an overkill IMO. The beauty of the Soundbrenner Pulse is that although to access some of the more advanced settings you require a smartphone or a computer with a Bluetooth connection, it is self contained too in that it can be used as a metronome on its own. Plus - no wires.

I recommend people watch all the videos on that link because they makes a lot of sense. There are also videos comparing the vibrational power of the metronome to that of a smart watch.

As for it not being delivered until November, well it IS a crowd-funded project that is not yet in production. A little leniency is expected there in such things.

quavers

Post by quavers » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:10 pm

I just picked one up. It is a little strange and I still am undecided as to whether or not I am going to return it. On the up side, after messing around with if for an hour or two, I am very happy with the number of ways it can be worn. Setting it is simple, either through a smart phone app or by "tapping in" the tempo you want to set. The average of three taps will set the tempo that was "tapped in" to the gadget. Vibration pulse also can be adjusted-I haven't figured that out yet.

Also, it is annoying, like all metronomes. As many of us know the ticking of metronome can sometimes be more of a distraction than an aid. The electronic beeping metronomes are somewhat less annoying, but sometimes the particular pitch of the device creates a very annoying dissonant sound with the note being played. So, I get to choose another item from the menu of metronome annoyance.

One more advantage of this device is if you play in groups and can get fellow members to invest in these devices; they can be controlled from a single computer or smart phone. Now you have a conductor. That is very cool.

twang

Post by twang » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:38 pm

What I want is something discrete that will give me a specific tempo _before_ I perform a piece. Nerves distort my sense of time making me start off too slow or too fast.

My snark clip on tuner will flash a little heart-shaped light at a specific tempo; that's getting close to the idea but it's a pain to adjust and it doesn't remember it's setting.

Instead, imagine a device you put in your shoe and that transmits to your clip-on tuner where the tuner then displays the tempo you're tapping. So, if you want to play a piece at 96BPM, start tapping your foot, check the tempo on the display, adjust your foot tapping, and away you go..
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:12 am

No...not now, not ever will use a device for making beats. If I want to play my guitar, I don't want a digital master telling me what to do.

I think players who use metronomes develop a penchant for sounding sterile and boring...more rubato please. Always.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:45 am

"If I want to play my guitar, I don't want a digital master telling me what to do."

I'm not always master of the appropriate tempo. I often play just fast enough to make a lot of mistakes. Then, a metronome helps to free me from the tyranny of my own inner compulsion to play too friggin fast. It's not a master, it's a liberator. I call my metronome Che.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

quavers

Post by quavers » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:59 am

Like I said earlier, metronomes are annoying, whether they tick, flash or vibrate. The vibrating metronome is just another annoyance. Pick your poison, pick up your guitar, and set your metronome. As much as a truly hate metronomes, I cannot deny their usefulness.

David Jones

Post by David Jones » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:49 pm

quavers wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:59 am
As much as a truly hate metronomes, I cannot deny their usefulness.
Have you considered using drum machine software instead? Hydrogen is free and it's easy to setup a looped pattern that is less distracting than the monotonous metronome click.
2006 James Lister Spruce

quavers

Post by quavers » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:49 pm

I certainly will take a look at Hydrogen. Thank you.

Return to “The Café”