Other hobbies/interests?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
edcat7

Re: Other hobbies/interests?

Postby edcat7 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:51 am

Justfun wrote:edcat you got two user names one Jersey Devil and other edcat7?
hmmm??

Seems I have a home in New Jersey as well.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Mick the Ramirez Man

Postby Mick the Ramirez Man » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:26 am

Reading, traveling and the news.
Ramirez 4NE, Ramirez R4 and Ramirez R1

Peter Lovett

Postby Peter Lovett » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:01 am

bear wrote:I've had many different hobbies/interest over the years (my wife calls them obsessions). I used to play a lot of chess. I reached a Master Level and stopped. I recently donated my collection of over 300 books on chess tho the Public Library. I've been riding horses since I was very young, this led to careers in horse training, breeding, farriery and blacksmithing.
I think that once you start making money, the threshold form hobby to job has occurred.
I guess my most consistent hobby, has been martial arts, for more than 50 years.

Bear, how on earth do you keep your hands from being damaged doing farriery work? Many years ago I was taught some basic farriery work (I was married at the time and we had a small horse stud) and not being a manual worker my hands suffered quite badly. That said, I would love to be able to go riding again as I had some wonderful experiences.

At present my other interest is mostly reading but there are a few others that are being set up for later once I have some room of my own. Things such as photography (film - not this modern digital stuff) and I would love to have a vegetable/herb garden. I just need the space and some time. :chaud:
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

bear

Postby bear » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:42 pm

Peter Lovett wrote:
bear wrote:I've had many different hobbies/interest over the years (my wife calls them obsessions). I used to play a lot of chess. I reached a Master Level and stopped. I recently donated my collection of over 300 books on chess tho the Public Library. I've been riding horses since I was very young, this led to careers in horse training, breeding, farriery and blacksmithing.
I think that once you start making money, the threshold form hobby to job has occurred.
I guess my most consistent hobby, has been martial arts, for more than 50 years.

Bear, how on earth do you keep your hands from being damaged doing farriery work? Many years ago I was taught some basic farriery work (I was married at the time and we had a small horse stud) and not being a manual worker my hands suffered quite badly. That said, I would love to be able to go riding again as I had some wonderful experiences.

At present my other interest is mostly reading but there are a few others that are being set up for later once I have some room of my own. Things such as photography (film - not this modern digital stuff) and I would love to have a vegetable/herb garden. I just need the space and some time. :chaud:

My hands are permanently damaged but most of the damage came from martial arts and fighting. The only damage from more than 20 years of farriery was an amputated (and re-attached) middle finger of my left hand.

My kempo training began not long after it was brought to mainland U.S.. The training was brutal and not something that would be done today. Hours would be spent standing in front of a makiwara board, hands bleeding, skin peeling back, knuckles breaking, etc.. We had buckets of rice and pebbles that we would repeatedly thrust our open hands into to condition our fingers. ( The result - One of my instructors tapped the side of my face with his index finger and knocked out half of one of my molars.)
It's at the top of my list of dumbest thing I've ever done.
An amusing thought though is that if I ever end up in a nursing home with one of those abusive attendants that you occasionally hear about.......
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

RoryJohn

Postby RoryJohn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Any chance I could coerce you into a game of correspondence chess Mr. Bear?
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

2handband

Postby 2handband » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:41 pm

Since when do guitar players have time for other hobbies?

Okay, I grow vegetables but don't really consider it a hobby; I grow about 85% of what my kids and I eat. But seriously... most of my time is devoted to my kids. Every spare second I get that affords me access to the guitar is spent playing it; I have goals, man! I'm only posting right now cus I can't play guitar.

bear

Postby bear » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:20 pm

RoryJohn wrote:

I've considered playing again but I haven't played a serious game (not that games against my grandchildren aren't serious) since Karpov and Kasparov were duking it out. I'm afraid I'd be easy prey at this point. I haven't even played a game on my laptop. As white, I was always opened with d4 and played for position (kind of a bear hug). I did the same as black favoring the Slav or Caro Kann. The systems are very similar.
It has been my habit to completely immerse myself into one of my hobbies (hence my wife calling them obsessions) achieve some undefined goal and then abandon it.
Right now it's cg and I only deal with one obsession at a time. It's entirely possible that I could wake up tomorrow and be on to something else and never play again. I think the likelihood of that happening will occur as soon as someone offers me a gig.

bear

Postby bear » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:26 pm

2handband wrote:Since when do guitar players have time for other hobbies?

Okay, I grow vegetables but don't really consider it a hobby; I grow about 85% of what my kids and I eat. But seriously... most of my time is devoted to my kids. Every spare second I get that affords me access to the guitar is spent playing it; I have goals, man! I'm only posting right now cus I can't play guitar.

When you retire you will find that you don't seem to have time for anything. There doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to get all of the things done that you did when you were working full time.

I'm supposed to be renovating my house. The only way I can see it happening is if I went back to work at a full time job.

RoryJohn

Postby RoryJohn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:36 pm

bear wrote:
RoryJohn wrote:

...As white, I was always opened with d4 and played for position (kind of a bear hug). I did the same as black favoring the Slav or Caro Kann...

My own approach is quite similar, funnily enough! I figured you wouldn't be interested but it was worth a punt...let me know if you ever feel the itch.

All the best
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

KeMe

Postby KeMe » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:09 am

Other than volunteer teaching 3 guitar orchestras, my newest hobby is raising a flock of Golden Laced Wyandotte chicks. It has been a family project this summer building the hen house and yard. These are very priveleged chicks.

Kay :srride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

bacsidoan

Postby bacsidoan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:15 am

No runners so far. I guess I'll be the first. My running is like my CG playing: Slow but durable.

riffmeister

Postby riffmeister » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:38 am

chemistry, photography, scuba diving, gardening, cycling....not necessarily in that order....

ashworth

Postby ashworth » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:49 am

bear wrote:When you retire you will find that you don't seem to have time for anything. There doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to get all of the things done that you did when you were working full time.

I'm supposed to be renovating my house. The only way I can see it happening is if I went back to work at a full time job.

Man, that's the truth. I can't get much of anything done, and I've got all the time in the world to do it. By the time I get the odds and ends accomplished that need to be done on a regular basis, there's no time left for any kind of project. I can't figure it out. :(

My other main hobby is early films. I'm a silent film enthusiast—mainly contemporary dramas of the teens to early '20's—but I like other things, too, such as the Harold Lloyd comedy features from the 20's. The very early silents fascinate me as well because they are like a portal into a lost time. I also like early sound pictures of the late 20's and early '30's.
- Donnie

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:16 pm

@riffmeister
That is a truly amazing fish!

riffmeister

Postby riffmeister » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:11 pm

simonm wrote:@riffmeister
That is a truly amazing fish!

Hairy frogfish. Frogfish are amazing creatures. And even more so when they are hairy! ;) From Lembeh Straight in Indonesia, what an extraordinary area for scuba divers, strange creatures like I'd never seen before!

Return to “The Café”