Other hobbies/interests?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
6strings

Re: Other hobbies/interests?

Post by 6strings » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:54 pm

Humanism and philosophy.

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:17 am

David Belcher wrote:Thanks! I just moved from NYC to North Carolina and the goldfinches are plenitudinous here as well!
It'll be easier to gedda cup ov cawffie, wauk da dawg, and pork da cooar in Carolina..Get wud I'm tawkin' about ? Ay, ged awf my back ! Um from New Yawk !
:nerveux:

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:38 pm

:)
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

a human

Post by a human » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:50 pm

bear wrote: ...

When you retire you will find that you don't seem to have time for anything. There doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to get all of the things done that you did when you were working full time.

My thoughts, too. After I retired, I couldn't figure out how I ever had time to work. I was pretty efficient when I first retired. It was when my husband retired that I really lost control of my time ... not sure what that says.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
Martin Sigma DM-1 Dreadnaught (std)
2011 Cordoba Cadete Classical (615 mm)
2014 Martin DX1AE (std)

bear

Post by bear » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:19 pm

a human wrote:
bear wrote: ...

When you retire you will find that you don't seem to have time for anything. There doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to get all of the things done that you did when you were working full time.

My thoughts, too. After I retired, I couldn't figure out how I ever had time to work. I was pretty efficient when I first retired. It was when my husband retired that I really lost control of my time ... not sure what that says.
I've retired a couple of times (I suspect this will be the last time) and usually I have to go back to work, just to get out of the way. When I'm home, I seem to make more work for my wife by trying to "help".

Decided to edit the post. I figured someone might get ticked off. Sorry if I offended anyone.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Bododio

Post by Bododio » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:32 pm

Cooking (and eating :D ), wine, Sake, motorcycles, golf, needlepoint, growing hot peppers, reading, listening to music.
2012 Cordoba C10 (CD), D'Addario EJ45
2015 Pavan TP-30 (SP), D'Addario EJ45

slidika

Post by slidika » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:48 am

Chess (achieved USCF Master back in the mid 80's, but have not kept up with it much, except for endgames -- love 'em), piano, some banjo (but that pretty much stopped when I started CG).
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

Jersey Devil

Post by Jersey Devil » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:52 pm

Justfun wrote:edcat you got two user names one Jersey Devil and other edcat7?
hmmm??
*** are you talking about ?????,. what two user names
I have seen some of the fish he has caught and can tell you he out does me as much at fishing as he does on the guitar :D
Last edited by Jersey Devil on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MauricioMedeiros
Student of the online lessons

Post by MauricioMedeiros » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:55 pm

Running, going out with my wife and kids, studying computer science and "esoteric" things in general.

Sina

Post by Sina » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:54 pm

I do gardening, although in my case it involves a bit too much plant killing--never said I knew what I was doing :lol: I prefer flowers and ferns as that way I feel less guilty for not getting the desired result. I also do yoga, which go figure has helped my other hobbies of playing violin and guitar. And I like computer games! :)

Frances McMahon

Post by Frances McMahon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:29 am

I've been painting birds in watercolour since age 5. Entirely self taught.
I've never done this professionally (not enough market for it) but absolutely love it.
I've also been a competitive adult figure skater, giving up after 13 years, to take up guitar again!
Also love reading, sewing, and family time.
http://www.frances-mcmahon.artistwebsites.com

(Example shows a painting of a Pacific Black Duck, watermedia on museum board - 2003)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kim Lissarrague 2008 Lattice-braced Guitar.
Now I'm truly in guitar heaven.

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:09 am

Science and trying to understand why so many people let their lives be ruled by weird believes, which seem to do nothing but damage to the World.

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:56 am

Frances McMahon wrote:I've been painting birds in watercolour since age 5. Entirely self taught.
I've never done this professionally (not enough market for it) but absolutely love it.
I've also been a competitive adult figure skater, giving up after 13 years, to take up guitar again!
Gorgeous paintings - love the cockatiels, used to keep and breed them as a teenager and you really capture that impish look of theirs. Would love to see them in their natural habitat some day. Sorry to stick the proverbial beak in but are you sure there is no market for your work? I've seen work for sale in high street galleries that is not even on the same level as yours.

All the best!
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

Frances McMahon

Post by Frances McMahon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:02 pm

RoryJohn wrote:
Frances McMahon wrote:I've been painting birds in watercolour since age 5. Entirely self taught.
Gorgeous paintings - love the cockatiels, used to keep and breed them as a teenager and you really capture that impish look of theirs. Would love to see them in their natural habitat some day. Sorry to stick the proverbial beak in but are you sure there is no market for your work? I've seen work for sale in high street galleries that is not even on the same level as yours.

All the best!
Thanks so much for the kind words, Rory John!
No, I don't think you are sticking your beak in (good bird pun there), but I live in Australia, and it's very difficult to make a living out of art (due to our low population, economic climate, etc).
Most artists teach full time, and that's something I'm not interested in.
The birds take many hours of work, and many simply cannot afford original works. Galleries take a whopping 40% commission, and don't get me started on the cost of conservation framing! :shock:
However, now and then I do a commission for an overseas client which is a nice little bit of pocket money, and sell a few prints from the website, so I guess I can't complain. :D
I only work 2 days a week, so that leaves 5 to do the things I love - art and guitar!
Cheers
Frances
Kim Lissarrague 2008 Lattice-braced Guitar.
Now I'm truly in guitar heaven.

dsj

Post by dsj » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:54 pm

Fly fishing, mountain biking, history, sporting clays.

Return to “The Café”