Other hobbies/interests?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
rikart

Re: Other hobbies/interests?

Postby rikart » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:14 pm

Dieting. I'm not very good at it, despite devouring weighty tomes on the subject. This may seem heavy, but perhaps it's all a waist? Fat chance I'll find out soon though. Never mind, it's better to have sweet thoughts, so I might as well grab the guitar and get back on those scales.
rikart /warwick harte

dory

Postby dory » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Frances,

I am a big fan of watercolor and I really like your work.i am going to send a link to your website to my sister who lives with a parrot and has become obsessed with birds as a result. Your paintings do look like you live in an area with parrots. Northern Australia, perhaps? What puzzles me is this. There is a line on your website that says "Location, Oregon Wisconsin." This is a small town which is a suburb of the city I live in. What does Oregon WI have to do with your work? If you are showing art here I would go see it. Is it the location of your web designer? Instead of TMI (too much information) we have II (insuficient information.)
Dory

MarkInLA

Postby MarkInLA » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:19 am

The world's greatest hobby, model railroading..Anyone else ?

Andrew Fryer

Postby Andrew Fryer » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:32 am

I'm wondering why I haven't responded to this thread yet. Probably because our profiles have a hobbies/other interests section.
I've spent 35 years learning to read in 10 languages. I'm sick to death of it. I can't just do it for 2 hours a day - often I spend 6 hours a day, but the internet always interrupts making them a poor quality 6 hours. I hope to be able to speed-read Ancient Greek and Latin by 2020. Then I'll give up.
I play uke.
I'd like to say I like cooking, but although I have no fear, I'm too lazy, my kitchen needs renewing and I hate shopping for ingredients and I have no imagination.
I used to play piano, I might do it again one day, but there's the fingernail problem (if I want to stick with CG, which I do).
I used to paint in oils. I'd like to do that again one day.
I've done a few watercolours. I'd like to do more, becase they need a lot of practice.
I've etched. If I had premises and money, I could set up as a self-employed etcher.
Uke is sociable, CG isn't.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

zupfgeiger

Postby zupfgeiger » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:00 pm

I enjoy cooking and use to prepare the meals for my family on the weekend. But besides working, playing the guitar and having fun with my little son there is not much time left for reading books, running or other things to do. John Eliot Gardiner's Bach biography (Music in the castle of heaven) is on my shelf, but I didn't get further than page 36 yet.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

doug

Postby doug » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:39 pm

I'm getting back into wood carving a little. My dad used to do a little whittling, and I got interested in it when I was a young boy. As a Boy Scout, I would carve wooden neckerchief slides. Then I got into making hand-carved walking sticks and wooden chains. When I got out of college, got married, started a family, and went to work, I seldom did any carving.
2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE
2012 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, SP
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C

Andrew Fryer

Postby Andrew Fryer » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:04 pm

However, etching is unbelievably filthy, so I think I dodged a bullet.

Ismael González Haro

Postby Ismael González Haro » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Piano and German!
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/LICORPOLLO
---
Admira Juanita
Marizápalos 2015 Pino-Abeto (Luthier: Ángel Benito Aguado)

pmiklitz

Postby pmiklitz » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:32 pm

Ismael González Haro wrote:Piano and German!

Ich hatte zwei Jahre Spanisch in der Schule, habe seither aber nichts mehr dazu gelernt, obwohl ich die Sprache sehr mag.

Espanol es una lingua muy bonita,

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

MarkInLA

Postby MarkInLA » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:17 am

Nick Clow wrote:Cryptic crossword every day, swimming x 2 per week, Roman history, live music.

Best hobby of all is my 4 year old son. Reading to him, entering into complex games in which e.g. he is a yeti and I am a lion, drawing, painting, bushwalks, football, climbing/parkour, cafes, wrestling (constantly), building things with lego with him, being a dinosaur with him, going to the museum, zoo, park, pool.

Your hobbies such as swimming are good hobbies. Being a good dad is not a hobby. It's parenting....

MarkInLA

Postby MarkInLA » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:42 am

pmiklitz wrote:
Ismael González Haro wrote:Piano and German!

Ich hatte zwei Jahre Spanisch in der Schule, habe seither aber nichts mehr dazu gelernt, obwohl ich die Sprache sehr mag.

Espanol es una lingua muy bonita,

Peter

? Cuando sus ustedes vamanamos <(?) a el guittarra e jugar ? si tu trabajo en sus musica para una tiempo longa ustedes (will ?) emprovar diaz tiempos es mucho ... Yo hablar Espanole del tiempo a tiempo porque estar sus muchos gente latinos en Los Angeles y yo desao <? a hablar en la lingua de la gente Mexicano ! Mi espanole is no mucho a escribar casa (about). Pero yo amo el (challenge) ! ....Something like that anyway...Mark, el gringo...en ferrocarille modelos electrico. OK, bestante ahora Mark ! !
:lol:

Andrew Fryer

Postby Andrew Fryer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:59 am

Nick Clow wrote:Cryptic crossword...Roman history...

I like cryptic crosswords, but the trouble is the Times is the most entertaining, but I hate the Times as a paper, whereas the Guardian's crossword has no entertainment value. I need to find a way to photocopy the Times' puzzle.
Or maybe they are all boring since Araucaria died. I wasn't a big fan of his Saturday puzzles, but perhaps he was responsible for more than I realised.

I don't do much ancient history - my brain's too much like Swiss cheese for me to remember the stuff. I stick to poetry and literature (anyway history IS literature, but I think we've had that thread already!).

pmiklitz

Postby pmiklitz » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

MarkInLA wrote:? Cuando sus ustedes vamanamos <(?) a el guittarra e jugar ? si tu trabajo en sus musica para una tiempo longa ustedes (will ?) emprovar diaz tiempos es mucho ... Yo hablar Espanole del tiempo a tiempo porque estar sus muchos gente latinos en Los Angeles y yo desao <? a hablar en la lingua de la gente Mexicano ! Mi espanole is no mucho a escribar casa (about). Pero yo amo el (challenge) ! ....Something like that anyway...Mark, el gringo...en ferrocarille modelos electrico. OK, bestante ahora Mark ! !
:lol:

Excellent Spanish, Mark! :bravo:

The odd little gap here or there, which I'm sure your many Latin friends from "The Angels" will be able to help you with.

Hasta luego,

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

MarkInLA

Postby MarkInLA » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:27 am

Frances McMahon wrote:I've been painting birds in watercolour since age 5. Entirely self taught.
I've never done this professionally (not enough market for it) but absolutely love it.
I've also been a competitive adult figure skater, giving up after 13 years, to take up guitar again!
Also love reading, sewing, and family time.
http://www.frances-mcmahon.artistwebsites.com

(Example shows a painting of a Pacific Black Duck, watermedia on museum board - 2003)

Wait a minute ! Hold the Phone ! That duck is a painting ? !! If you'd have said it was a Kodachrome shot I would have said " Wow, what camera did you use ? !!!!... If you don't paint these professionally, you could, and paint covers for the Audubon Society magazine and make a bundle !

Oops, sorry. I read your bio after writing the above. I see my suggestion is a mute point as you have already become highly recognized in the art world, galleries and schools.. Anyway Frances, you are an amazingly gifted talent ! .....

MarkInLA

Postby MarkInLA » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:01 am

rikart wrote:Dieting. I'm not very good at it, despite devouring weighty tomes on the subject. This may seem heavy, but perhaps it's all a waist? Fat chance I'll find out soon though. Never mind, it's better to have sweet thoughts, so I might as well grab the guitar and get back on those scales.

You mean those scales..as opposed to those scales. I think I too am waisting time. Well, I'm just a big blubber mouth.. At least I'm not one who pounds on the drums. They're just too skinny.. Maybe I'll Cholesterol on the phone and see if she agrees about her hair: that she will again diet blond or not. These thoughts are weighing heavy on me to a point where I'll just drop !!

Return to “The Café”