Are vegetarians better players?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
malc laney

Are vegetarians better players?

Post by malc laney » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Because big chunks of meat take a long time to digest [think lions sleeping it off] the lighter diet would leave the average player more alert , and any sound effects [bottom noises etc..] could be incorporated into the piece , as long as the correct tempo is achieved.
Maybe some of our professional players have some tips on pre-gig nutrition?

mc1

Re: Are vegetarians better players?

Post by mc1 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:10 pm

i think protein loading (could be veggie) is important for 6 hour practice sessions.

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:36 am

malc laney wrote:Because big chunks of meat take a long time to digest [think lions sleeping it off] the lighter diet would leave the average player more alert...
Maybe some of our professional players have some tips on pre-gig nutrition?
Well, I'm no pro, but it would seem that eating a heavy meal before a performance definitely could hamper your alertness. You know, like when you stuff yourself at Thanksgiving and then just kick back and nod off in a lounge chair while watching the football game on tv.

I know a lot of pro runners have strict dietary regimens they follow in the days leading up to running a marathon.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:18 am

I've done plenty of gigs where we got fed first... often very classy food in large portions. I don't think it ever slowed me down. When I'm onstage I'm in the moment, man... I've done shows after driving for 24 hours straight and the moment I hit the stage I'm wide awake. A little chow isn't going to make a huge difference.

Here's a thought: if being tired or overfed is going to affect you enough to cause performance issues than your performance repertoire is too difficult. You shouldn't be performing music that pushes the limits of your technique.

D.Cass

Post by D.Cass » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:49 am

Huh....I never thought about that. I have two friends that are great concert players. One is a vegaterian and the other is not. They both play equally well.

There is something about eating before a gig or a concert. Usually the type of food is irrelevant and more about over eating. Over eating in general is bad. Can lead to lethargic behavior, heart burn, or an easy stomach. Not something you want while playing.
Just some food for thought.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:13 am

I don't think food or wine ever slowed down Segovia or Bream. Williams looks like he might be on a runner's diet though...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:25 am

Vegetarians aren't better anything. We are omnivores. And, we were meant to be so.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:45 am

I love Polifermos certainty! We were told in the sixties that by now we wouldn't bother with the hassle of eating . and would pop a few "food" pills! This was just before we donned our jetbackpack * available at a great price from Amazon. The digestive tract would also have been modified.
I have already ordered my CG implant and have opted for the J.Bream version , with future proofing [to be able to replicate the sound of a symphony orchestra , although the larger ensemble for Tchaikovsky is at the planning stage]
Does Mr.P not think that we could evolve ? Why did the dinosaurs die out , why [if a huge dust cloud wiped them out] did another round of dinosaurs not evolve later on ?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:30 am

In my experience most players eat little if anything before an evening recital. Personally I will got for a banana, possibly another at the interval. Its not simply the desire not to feel slowed down/sleepy or risk hiccups, or some other unpredictable result given its usually a meal supplied by the venue (and therefore an unknown quality as well as quantity) - rather its just that before a recital one just doesn't really feel very hungry!
A banana is often recommended because its small and light in the stomach, slightly starchy so it fends off pangs, if they tend to develop mid-programme, haven't got bits that would annoyingly get stuck in the teeth and cause a distraction, and because its got potassium and magnesium which are both good for - something or other. Calming, basically.
I've been a vegetarian for 30 years and 6 months; the only person I know with a propensity for 'sound effects' is a confirmed omnivore tending towards carnivore (and very fine singer). Yes, homo sapiens evolved to be an omnivore: we also evolved the faculty of choice.
Re Malc's question; dinosaurs are still with us; birds, various things like the crocodile family, survived the extinction of the classic charismatic dinosaur species. Mammals were evidently better placed to flourish in the post-extinction environment.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:31 pm

This thread reminded me of a wide-ranging interview article with lifelong vegetarian Liona Boyd. It still makes me smile at various places for several different reasons.

http://hippocratesinst.org/the-first-lady-of-the-guitar

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:42 pm

malc laney wrote: Does Mr.P not think that we could evolve ?
In a word? No. I see no evidence of it.

mc1

Post by mc1 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:Vegetarians aren't better anything. We are omnivores. And, we were meant to be so.
i'd say they are better at not eating animals. :wink:

i don't think evolve is the correct word, but perhaps adapt is. omnivores have generally evolved to be quite flexible in their diet.

there are lots of examples of vegetarians who are as healthy as omnivores, or people who technically are omnivores but their diet is much closer to a vegetarian diet. i think it's outdated to imply their diet isn't what was meant for them.

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:13 pm

I only eat cabbages after the whole horse-meat scandal.
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:17 pm

mc1 wrote:
Polifemo de Oro wrote:Vegetarians aren't better anything. We are omnivores. And, we were meant to be so.
i'd say they are better at not eating animals. :wink:

i don't think evolve is the correct word, but perhaps adapt is. omnivores have generally evolved to be quite flexible in their diet.

there are lots of examples of vegetarians who are as healthy as omnivores, or people who technically are omnivores but their diet is much closer to a vegetarian diet. i think it's outdated to imply their diet isn't what was meant for them.
The vegetarians I know all seem to have these sallow complexions and seem oddly enervated all the time. And, I say this as someone who, by and large, lives on a vegetarian diet as well; but not completely because I have no problem eating the flesh of animals.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:37 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:
malc laney wrote: Does Mr.P not think that we could evolve ?
In a word? No. I see no evidence of it.
I agree. Whether through Darwinian or Lamarckian evolution it is hard to conceive of circumstances that would favour vegetarianism so much as to lead to digestive tract changes in us as a species such that we could/would no longer eat meat.

Even scenarios of isolated communities/sects that had/ate no meat break down because it is just about inconceivable that over many generations meat would not be introduced and taken up by at least some members or visitor-mates (unless they were banished) so influencing the inheritance of the digestive tract characteristics.

Even assuming a community maintained a purely vegetarian lifestyle, the timescale for the evolution of the gut changes would be so lengthy that during our own lives we would, to quote Mr P. "see no evidence of it."

As mc1 points out, it is however perfectly possible to adapt to a vegetarian diet, getting adequate variety and quantity of nutrients from it.

As to classical guitarists, well there do seem some here who enjoy chewing their fellow guitarists. :D

Return to “The Café”