Are vegetarians better players?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Polifemo de Oro

Re: Are vegetarians better players?

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:39 pm

Pat Dodson wrote: As to classical guitarists, well there do seem some here who enjoy chewing their fellow guitarists. :D
Absolute cannibals, we are! :mrgreen:

DavRom

Post by DavRom » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:Even assuming a community maintained a purely vegetarian lifestyle, the timescale for the evolution of the gut changes would be so lengthy that during our own lives we would, to quote Mr P. "see no evidence of it."
timescale? you need to watch the film "Forks Over Knives"

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:48 pm

DavRom wrote:
Pat Dodson wrote:Even assuming a community maintained a purely vegetarian lifestyle, the timescale for the evolution of the gut changes would be so lengthy that during our own lives we would, to quote Mr P. "see no evidence of it."
Haven't seen that one. But, have you seen "Rifles Over Forks and Knives?" Excellent film. I highly recommend it. :mrgreen:

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:05 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:Its not simply the desire not to feel slowed down/sleepy or risk hiccups, or some other unpredictable result given its usually a meal supplied by the venue (and therefore an unknown quality as well as quantity) - rather its just that before a recital one just doesn't really feel very hungry!
+1
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:10 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:
DavRom wrote:
Haven't seen that one. But, have you seen "Rifles Over Forks and Knives?" Excellent film. I highly recommend it. :mrgreen:
:lol:

The science and evidential base of Forks Over Knives is of course contested. But even if correct the alleged detriment of a meat rich diet seems at least compensated by man's development of medical practice. My point was anyway rather narrower, relating to the timescale for changes in gut structure and physiology rather than to any wisdom there might be in giving up meat.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:14 pm

Further to the overall nutritional aspect of the OP, an even more fraught element for the recitalising musician can be hydration. It quite commonplace for long hot journeys to venues to end up with no drinks available, or if they are, just nasty coffee in small quantities. Nobody wants to go on stage feeling the need to visit the bathroom but the opposite of de-hydration is quite an insidious state in which alertness and clarity do start to get clouded and energy levels fall.
Being awkward of diet I always take a bag of edibles, bananas +, and a litre of water.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

bear

Post by bear » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:17 pm

All I can say on this topic is that I hate vegetables, always have, always will and you can make me eat them.

By the way, as a guitarist, I'm not that good.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:19 pm

Speaking of the most excellent film, Rifles Over Forks and Knives (Cannes Palme d'Or, 2013; Venice Biennale, 2011), I am only half jesting.

Essentially, we would all be better off healthwise if our lifestyles had remained as hunter-gatherers. This past week I ate a nice piece of elk meat. This is extremely nutritious and lean meat. And, it takes some doing to hunt and shoot an elk--you expend a LOT of physical energy in the process. What this means, of course, is that one would not be eating meat every single day! I think that much of our problem lies in our modern factory farming mechanisms and the expectations that have arisen from that.

Of course, it is also understood that as hunter-gatherers we would all have precious little time to be playing our wonderful guitars! :mrgreen:

DavRom

Post by DavRom » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:38 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:The science and evidential base of Forks Over Knives is of course contested.
unsuccessfully so
But even if correct the alleged detriment of a meat rich diet seems at least compensated by man's development of medical practice.
really? so why all the heart disease and attributed deaths in developed countries?
My point was anyway rather narrower, relating to the timescale for changes in gut structure and physiology rather than to any wisdom there might be in giving up meat.
ok

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:04 pm

They've killed a living thing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mc1

Post by mc1 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:06 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:They've killed a living thing!
that's funny, but my brother in law used to work in a slaughter house. it ain't pretty.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:09 pm

Whatayagonnado? We humans will die out completely before we will have changed our inclinations to eat meat. And, although the raising of cattle and other domesticated animals is resource-intensive, so would be supporting a world composed of 10 billion vegetarians, especially given increasing shortages in water and arable, fertile lands. This is a conundrum no matter which way you look at it.

mc1

Post by mc1 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:Whatayagonnado? We humans will die out completely before we will have changed our inclinations to eat meat...
sure, but is that really the point? we're well past eating every meat made object that wanders into our view, like some old cartoon where the hungry character can only see the other as cooked and on a platter.

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:38 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote: supporting a world composed of 10 billion .... This is a conundrum no matter which way you look at it.
Not too many of the members here will be around when that happens. But I think it will be quite a bit earlier than the usually bandied about number (ie. 9 billion in 2050 as the middle case UN scenario). There doesn't seem to me to much evidence that population growth is going to drastically reduce in the next 2 decades. If we follow the trend of the last 15 years we will hit the 9 billion around 2030 and the 10 billion could be between 2040 and 2050.

If we can't figure out what to do about people being displaced out of the Middle East and Africa and other areas where there is migration we are all in deep doo-doo. Humanity has always been mobile. Our 19th national boundaries and rabble-rousing politicos are a major block to a solution, if there is any.

Trouble and strife is coming to a place near you. Soon. Lucky the old blokes.

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:46 pm

mc1 wrote:
Polifemo de Oro wrote:They've killed a living thing!
that's funny, but my brother in law used to work in a slaughter house. it ain't pretty.
This is the problem, the fear at time of death is in the animals body. Hunter and gatherer did not have this. But per the op's original question, everyone's system is different and what works for some does not work for others. The key is finding what works for oneself.

Return to “The Café”