Are vegetarians better players?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Pat Dodson

Re: Are vegetarians better players?

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:48 pm

simonm wrote:.

Trouble and strife is coming to a place near you. Soon. Lucky the old blokes.
Yeah. Tough and stringy; we'll be eaten last. :)

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:50 pm

simonm wrote:
Polifemo de Oro wrote: supporting a world composed of 10 billion .... This is a conundrum no matter which way you look at it.

Trouble and strife is coming to a place near you. Soon. Lucky the old blokes.
I fear you are right. And, if I am still around on our troubled planet, you will find me, like Nero, playing my guitar while Rome burned.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:59 pm

If a hungry lionelk doesn't get you first! I vote Polifermo de Oro as the first CG player on Mars...

dogmatic

Post by dogmatic » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:11 pm

Better declare my position first : committed meat eater, twice daily, for sixty years. No meat for breakfast but always for lunch and dinner.
The important factor is not really the meat. Vegetarians are correct when they say we can get protein from numerous non meat sources. But what they can't get is animal fats and this is what the body really needs. I know vegetarians who eat masses of cheese, eggs, butter, milk and their health is fine. Now vegans - that's another discussion altogether.

Anyway, I was going to ask if vegetarian luthiers don't use hide glue ?

David

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:02 pm

I think overall that vegetarians do play better with one caveat, you must, must keep them away from gut strings because the poor things do tend to give into the temptation to nibble.

Was I serious, as ever, not entirely. :wink:
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:41 pm

Guitar-ded wrote:I think overall that vegetarians do play better with one caveat, you must, must keep them away from gut strings because the poor things do tend to give into the temptation to nibble.

Was I serious, as ever, not entirely. :wink:
Nope, didn't think you were :lol:

And to be honest the yuck factor is the major reason I don't use gut on the Panormo. That and the fraying, the breaking, and the going out of tune.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

bear

Post by bear » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Two of my daughters have become vegetarians, I don't hold it against them. I live on a farm (retired) and my neighbors are farmers. I sit on my front porch some days, drinking my coffee and wondering, how many animals would be extinct if there were more vegetarians. I don't see a reason to keep goats, dairy or beef cattle or chickens. They aren't much use as pets but I do know folks that have them as such.
The good news for me I guess is I'd have a lot more privacy. Then again, they'd probably start growing vegetables instead of raising animals. I'd have to be careful about sitting on the porch, with all the pesticides and stuff that they spray on them, especially on windy days. Where would I get gelato?
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:11 pm

I am a vegetarian myself and can't find anything bad about it unless the fact that we have to answer over and over again the same questions: how did it come, and what do you eat etc. The main problem is a social problem when we are invited or when we are travelling. It is difficult to deny that growing all these animals for slaughter is not very sustainable and is a very big waste of natural resources, besides that it is very cruel at the scale as it is done today. In the past people did eat meat yes, but never at this level. I have nothing against omnivorous and I respect that others want to eat meat, I did it myself and there are many delicious dishes with meat - but so there are many delicious vegetarian dishes - on parties omnivorous eat normally preferentially first our vegetarian pie and tart. When it comes to the healthy aspects I must say that most people get sick more often because of what they eat and not because of what they don’t eat (unless one is starving..). Eating less, and eating less animal products is not bad for your health and there are many different possibilities to have a healthy regime, but that is up to each person to find out what works best.
I have no opinion about the OP's question.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:25 pm

FISH :-) Eat more fish is what my wife says. Holy mackerel in tomatosauce, food for vikings.
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:33 pm

Kjetil Heggelund wrote:FISH :-) Eat more fish is what my wife says. Holy mackerel in tomatosauce, food for vikings.
Fascinating how people make their decisions. I knew a chap who was content to eat meat but would not eat fish because they were left to suffocate (versus "humanely" killed) and because of overfishing and the destruction of the marine habitat. When the realities of abattoirs and of habitat destruction for meat farming were put to him his response was to say that there were many arguing those points and living by them. Few were standing up in the same way for fish and the seas; so he was. :?

dory

Post by dory » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:19 pm

I don't want to get into food fads or judgments. A few years ago being vegetarian seemed "healthier" than eating meat. Now the fad is to "go Paleo" -- a phrase I find extremely odd. As I understand it, people on the Paleo diet can't have any grains, dairy or legumes. I think no type of protein except for meat is allowed. People who do this now see themselves as "healthier" than people who are vegetarians. Personally, although I am an omnivore in theory I am not crazy about the taste or texture of meat, and I am distressed about the way farm animals are treated, so I eat mostly vegetariian. I do not consider myself better or worse than people who "are Paleo" what I perceive as extreme carnivores, or people who are garden variety omnivores. Also, I don't think anyone can blame my mediocre guitar skills on my lack of meat eating. I do have other reasons.
Dory

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:48 pm

We are omnivores by choice, not by nature.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

mc1

Post by mc1 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:59 pm

i'd say we are omnivores both by nature and by choice.

JamesMessick

Post by JamesMessick » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:40 am

mc1 wrote:i don't think evolve is the correct word, but perhaps adapt is. omnivores have generally evolved to be quite flexible in their diet..
All vegetarians eat meat, they just don't admit it!
Play beautifully, insofar as you are able.
Yamaha G-235 II, Fender Stratocaster, Alvarez 5212
Yamaha G-230, Bessler (Guitar Shaped Object)
Cordoba C5-CE
Student of Douglas Niedt

JamesMessick

Post by JamesMessick » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:46 am

Pat Dodson wrote: if correct the alleged detriment of a meat rich diet seems at least compensated by man's development of medical practice.
If my daily required handful of pills is "compensation" then I guess we're definitely evolved. I suffer from "affluenza!"
Play beautifully, insofar as you are able.
Yamaha G-235 II, Fender Stratocaster, Alvarez 5212
Yamaha G-230, Bessler (Guitar Shaped Object)
Cordoba C5-CE
Student of Douglas Niedt

Return to “The Café”