Delicious summer recipes

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Lisbon Portugal

Delicious summer recipes

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Lemon – Ginger – Mint Lemonade:
Take the juice and pulp of 2 fresh lemons; add a small bunch of fresh mint, and about a tee spoon or two of fresh ginger root rasp, plus the rasp of the skin of one of the lemons. Add 1 ½ liters of fresh water of good quality, and a sweetener in quantity and quality of your desire (cane sugar, fructose, honey, sweetener, or whatever you wish) and mix all in the mixer. Then add ice or keep it cool in the fridge.
Then sit down in a shadow and play your guitar
Last edited by ChristianSchwengeler on Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polifemo de Oro

Re: Delicious summer receipts

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:15 pm

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:Lemon – Ginger – Mint Lemonade:
Take the juice and pulp of 2 fresh lemons; add a small bunch of fresh mint, and about a tee spoon or two of fresh ginger root rasp, plus the rasp of the skin of one of the lemons. Add 1 ½ liters of fresh water of good quality, and a sweetener in quantity and quality of your desire (cane sugar, fructose, honey, sweetener, or whatever you wish) and mix all in the mixer. Then add ice or keep it cool in the fridge.
Then sit down in a shadow and play your guitar
+1

Sounds delicious. Today it is supposed to be over 40C/100F so this is a wonderful suggestion. :D

RichardUno
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:29 pm
Location: Land of Fruits and Nuts

Re: Delicious summer receipts

Post by RichardUno » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:28 pm

Do you mean recipes?

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Lisbon Portugal

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:17 pm

Must have meant that, (recipes) but as I am ignorant of english language I use the correction ability of word which sometimes sugests an other word as the one I needed. sorry

RichardUno
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:29 pm
Location: Land of Fruits and Nuts

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by RichardUno » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:27 pm

That's the problem with spellcheckers, they will give you a correctly spelled word, not necessarily the word you meant to use. No apology needed, your English is fine. Most English speakers, including myself, are totally ignorant of any other language.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Lisbon Portugal

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:09 am

RichardUno wrote:That's the problem with spellcheckers, they will give you a correctly spelled word, not necessarily the word you meant to use. No apology needed, your English is fine. Most English speakers, including myself, are totally ignorant of any other language.
The land of nuts and fruits must be California I guess. I speak fluently 4 languages plus my original dialect and this makes it more difficult as the same expression exists in so many very similar versions and it becomes difficult to remember at each moment how it is spelled even if I know how to pronounce it in specific language.
Polifemo de Oro wrote:
+1

Sounds delicious. Today it is supposed to be over 40C/100F so this is a wonderful suggestion. :D
Here it was 38/39C one day this week and the water in the pool of our friends is now 28C, which is not very refreshing anymore, but the beach has been a dream. The lemonade is differently worth a try.

Marshall Dixon
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 5:06 pm
Location: SW Oregon

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by Marshall Dixon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:36 pm

Seed and dice 6 ripe tomatoes. Place in a large bowl that can be heated in the oven.
Tear up about a 20 Fresh basil leaves as fine as your patience allows and add to the tomatoes.
Add about 1/2 cup olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and some garlic if you like.
Cover and keep in a warm place (150° oven or in the sun) for several hours, or longer.
Boil enough spaghetti to serve 4, drain then quickly toss into the tomatoe/basil mix.
A green salad and good bread and a glass of something cold to drink.
Summertime, and the living is easy.

Pat Dodson
Posts: 2944
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:32 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by Pat Dodson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:42 pm

Chilly here today, just 15 degrees centigrade or so and Marshall's suggestion seems both delicious and warming. Hopefully the sun will push through in the coming days and we can try the lemonade too.

When I saw the original thread title I thought "I haven't seen that word used like that for a while." Both my grandmothers had Receipt Books in their kitchens and until my teens in the 60s it was still occassionally seen as an alternative to Recipe. Now it's much rarer; last I saw it was last year in a Cathedral shop on a tourist enticing book of Devon Receipts.

Here's a quite interesting account of its use from within medicine around 1400 to cooking in the early 1700s and on into the second half of the 1900s.

https://lizzyoungbookseller.wordpress.c ... a-receipt/

And here's an example from the American south.

http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com ... cookbooks/

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Lisbon Portugal

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:35 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:Chilly here today, just 15 degrees centigrade or so and Marshall's suggestion seems both delicious and warming. Hopefully the sun will push through in the coming days and we can try the lemonade too.

When I saw the original thread title I thought "I haven't seen that word used like that for a while." Both my grandmothers had Receipt Books in their kitchens and until my teens in the 60s it was still occassionally seen as an alternative to Recipe. Now it's much rarer; last I saw it was last year in a Cathedral shop on a tourist enticing book of Devon Receipts.

Here's a quite interesting account of its use from within medicine around 1400 to cooking in the early 1700s and on into the second half of the 1900s.

https://lizzyoungbookseller.wordpress.c ... a-receipt/

And here's an example from the American south.

http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com ... cookbooks/
Very interesting, thank you, so I was not so wrong in the end. In German Rezept means two things - the cooking recipe and the prescription for the pharmacy to sell you your remedies and it can also refer to a formula for the composition of anything which is composed of different parts, but also a certain kind of practical solution to any kind of problem.
Marshall Dixon wrote:Seed and dice 6 ripe tomatoes. Place in a large bowl that can be heated in the oven.
Tear up about a 20 Fresh basil leaves as fine as your patience allows and add to the tomatoes.
Add about 1/2 cup olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and some garlic if you like.
Cover and keep in a warm place (150° oven or in the sun) for several hours, or longer.
Boil enough spaghetti to serve 4, drain then quickly toss into the tomatoe/basil mix.
A green salad and good bread and a glass of something cold to drink.
Summertime, and the living is easy.
This must be really delicious - I love pasta and the very simple recipes are the best. I guess you really don't need any oven in your place in the summer and you can place the bowle in the front of your door probably? Am I right?

User avatar
rikart
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by rikart » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:50 pm

Strawberries & Cream. Take a big bunch of Strawberries and place in large dessert dish. Pour a huge dollop of Cream over them. Serve with an accompanying glass of chilled white wine. If necessary, repeat these steps, loosen belt, and serve again. Serves one, twice.
rikart /warwick harte

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Lisbon Portugal

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:06 pm

rikart wrote:Strawberries & Cream. Take a big bunch of Strawberries and place in large dessert dish. Pour a huge dollop of Cream over them. Serve with an accompanying glass of chilled white wine. If necessary, repeat these steps, loosen belt, and serve again. Serves one, twice.
Cheers. This is a classic. Works fine with other berries to!

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Lisbon Portugal

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:15 am

Coriander Pesto
I really love pesto and this is my personal version of it with Coriander instead of Basilicum.

Serves 8- 10
1 good bunch of fresh Coriander leaves( can use the branches also, no need to separate the leaves)
100 gr of rasped grana Padano cheese
(Don’t use this Kraft style powder Parmesan stuff, this is not even cheese. If you don’t have grana Padano use some Old Cheddar, Gruyere, Sbrinz etc)
2 regular dents of garlic
½ cup of extra virgin Olive oil (60-80 gr.)
1/2glass of dry white wine, perhaps 1deciliter
Some black pepper if you want

If you are patient you can smash and cut garlic and coriander in an appropriate way and mix then with the rest of the ingredients. Personally I put all together in the mixer, and mix it to a homogenous paste. I’m not the patient type as you see.
Then serve with pasta of your desire. Works fantastic on any kind of party or summer buffets, but also alone at home…..
Last edited by ChristianSchwengeler on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wchymeus
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:49 am

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by wchymeus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:11 pm

Ceviche

Any firm-fleshed fish would do. I use halibut, mahi mahi, red snapper, or even cod (not the best but works). Lemon to "cook" the fish. Diced tomatoes, jalapeño, bell pepper, onions, cilantro, parsley (and/or dill), salt, and a bit of olive oil. Marinate for a couple of hours at least in the fridge. You can add tabasco if you want to make it spicier (and not enough or scared of jalapeño).
I had wonderful ceviches in Mexico (best was in La Paz) and there is a good reason why it's their favorite dish: it's just awesome!
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

montana
Posts: 1368
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:46 pm

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by montana » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:05 am

Marshall Dixon wrote:Seed and dice 6 ripe tomatoes. Place in a large bowl that can be heated in the oven.
Tear up about a 20 Fresh basil leaves as fine as your patience allows and add to the tomatoes.
Add about 1/2 cup olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and some garlic if you like.
Cover and keep in a warm place (150° oven or in the sun) for several hours, or longer.
Boil enough spaghetti to serve 4, drain then quickly toss into the tomatoe/basil mix.
A green salad and good bread and a glass of something cold to drink.
Summertime, and the living is easy.
Just tried it tonight. awesome!!!!!

Marshall Dixon
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 5:06 pm
Location: SW Oregon

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:56 pm

Hey there montana!
I'm glad you liked it.

Marshall

Return to “The Café”