Delicious summer recipes

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
MessyTendon

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Mango Chile Salsa

Frozen mango, puree it in blender,
Add diced tomato, onion, chopped cilantro, squeeze lime juice. Add fresh diced jalapeno or hot smoked paprika powder...or both.

Salt to taste. Add on top fish, poultry or just eat with chips.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:27 pm

MessyTendon wrote:Mango Chile Salsa

Frozen mango, puree it in blender,
Add diced tomato, onion, chopped cilantro, squeeze lime juice. Add fresh diced jalapeno or hot smoked paprika powder...or both.

Salt to taste. Add on top fish, poultry or just eat with chips.
Sounds very promising!

I have another favorite: Guacamole
You may agree that avocados are one of these things which is so delicious that it is difficult to become tired of it. As you know avocados must be on the sweet spot, if not ripe they are use less, if too ripe they are rotten already.

I make a special Guacamole which I eat with boiled potatoes.

I mix 1 or 2 ripe avocados with soft curd cheese (quark) or and sour cream , add some olive oil, lemon juice, salt and curry. You can test yourself what works best, I use about 50/50 soft cheese/avocado and the other ingredients just enough to make it taste right.

dory

Post by dory » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:52 pm

Christian,

I greatly admire all the German speakers here whose English is so excellent-- including yours. I really wish I could speak German. I speak some other languages, but failed at German-- perhaps due to a really bad teacher, who had his beginning students painfully translating Schiller with a dictionary but never taught us to speak. I am guessing he read German well but his spoken German was not good. For some odd reason, I left the class with the impression that German was too hard for me. I still have the impression that Germans who speak good English are geniuses, while I am unimpressed for example, by Spanish spakers who know English. After all, if I speak their language, how hard can it be for them to learn mine-- hmmm?
Dory

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:59 pm

dory wrote:Christian,

I greatly admire all the German speakers here whose English is so excellent-- including yours. I really wish I could speak German. I speak some other languages, but failed at German-- perhaps due to a really bad teacher, who had his beginning students painfully translating Schiller with a dictionary but never taught us to speak. I am guessing he read German well but his spoken German was not good. For some odd reason, I left the class with the impression that German was too hard for me. I still have the impression that Germans who speak good English are geniuses, while I am unimpressed for example, by Spanish spakers who know English. After all, if I speak their language, how hard can it be for them to learn mine-- hmmm?
Hi Dory.I fully understand you. I would quit German to. We are just lucky that we learn it as children in an intuitive way without any grammar or rules; we just know how you say it. Later when we learn the grammar of it, it becomes a real headache also for us in the same way like Arabic, Greek and Latin . Somehow English was nearly for free for me as it is a kind of simplified German with other Latin expressions – and on the other hand we had an exchange student in our school from Los Alamos; New Mexico (Niels Gram ) and we became friends and I practiced with him on a regular bases while fooling around with him and learned a lot with him– long ago now and never heard from him again. I guess successful assimilation of a language is always connected to people and practicing and I am sure you would learn German in a glance if correctly motivated by the people you are with. A lot of German speakers are not so bad in English it is only that a lot of them have this pretty bad pronunciation which makes it sound worse than it is. I am Swiss and was surrounded by foreigners in my childhood, and find it a good thing to be open minded. Even German is a foreign language for us as we speak this “horrible” dialect….

doug

Post by doug » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:11 pm

During the summer, I like to grill outside. One of my favorite things to grill is pork tenderloin. I heat my grill to about 600 F. The only thing I do to the tenderloin is rub olive oil onto them, then add salt and plenty of pepper. I grill the tenderloins over indirect heat, about 30 minutes. I like cold foods with it, like refrigerated Mandarin oranges, some cheese and maybe a few apple slices.......and a good chilled white wine.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

pavan

Post by pavan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:03 am

Grass feed ribeye steak, prepared on a Weber grill. With portabella mushrooms seasoned with jalapeno peppers chives and lime juice and candy sweetcorn on the smoker grill. Tastefully monitored with a glass of Glenmorangie on ice.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:56 am

doug wrote:During the summer, I like to grill outside. One of my favorite things to grill is pork tenderloin. I heat my grill to about 600 F. The only thing I do to the tenderloin is rub olive oil onto them, then add salt and plenty of pepper. I grill the tenderloins over indirect heat, about 30 minutes. I like cold foods with it, like refrigerated Mandarin oranges, some cheese and maybe a few apple slices.......and a good chilled white wine.
Allways nice to grill outside, even for vegetarians. I still remember that tenderloin is one of the most delicious parts.

OldC1guy

Post by OldC1guy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:25 am

I've never tried coriander pesto. Over here it's called cilantro. The one ingredient that is missing is nuts. In basil pesto it's pine nuts (pignoli). In cilantro pesto I'd use almonds (plain roasted). Buon appetito...
I bought my classical guitar before my first marriage. That didn’t last, but the guitar did; one of the few things she didn't get...

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:58 am

OldC1guy wrote:I've never tried coriander pesto. Over here it's called cilantro. The one ingredient that is missing is nuts. In basil pesto it's pine nuts (pignoli). In cilantro pesto I'd use almonds (plain roasted). Buon appetito...
I can see you like food to. I will try the almonds. Food is a good thing, one does not have to ask what it is good for, it is recycled in glance and there are always potential clients around for it.

You may want to try out this summer starter: 4-5 persons

8 ripe figs, I like the dark ones, but the green works fine
200 gr. of white cured goat cheese ( just take what you can buy in your place, the rather salty cured stuff -not hard cheese- works best)
Pumpkin jam
4 walnuts

Cut the goat cheese in appropriate pieces of about 1 ½ square inches, and place half a fig on top of it. You can peal the figs if you want, but this is not necessary. Put a spoon full of pumpkin jam on top of the fig and place a quarter of a walnut on top of it. Then place about 3 pieces per person on a plate and serve as a starter. You can use them also on a buffet of course..

IMG_9006.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doug

Post by doug » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:41 am

That sounds delicious! I'm going to try it. .....thanks!

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:45 am

doug wrote:That sounds delicious! I'm going to try it. .....thanks!
Much appreciated your comment Doug! This must be really the silly season and I am confused about the limited success of this nice thread. Perhaps I should create a few alter egos or change my name to something which sounds cooler like Xariksopis. But keep calm I am not Joe de V nor Red John!

doug

Post by doug » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:49 pm

Yep. I agree that many of the posts seem to be getting silly. I'm also a little surprised at the seemingly lack of interest in this thread??? I'm always looking for new things to try. I went to a grocery store last night and bought the ingredients to make your appetizer....except I couldn't find pumpkin jam. ....found some pumpkin butter, so I got that. I'm planning to try it tonight.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:44 pm

ChristianSchwengeler wrote: … Always nice to grill outside, even for vegetarians. …
Funny, I have never fathomed what is interesting about grilling. One of the mysteries of life for me…

The nearest thing to grilling that I can relate to is roasting chestnuts in the autumn for a Magosto with Agua-Pe (in Galicia or Portugal).

Figs with cheese (or anything else) is something I can relate to however and I also prefer the dark ones - preferably fresh from the tree. Figs don't travel well.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:39 pm

doug wrote:Yep. I agree that many of the posts seem to be getting silly. I'm also a little surprised at the seemingly lack of interest in this thread??? I'm always looking for new things to try. I went to a grocery store last night and bought the ingredients to make your appetizer....except I couldn't find pumpkin jam. ....found some pumpkin butter, so I got that. I'm planning to try it tonight.
Pumpkin jam is very popular in Portugal but I had never tried it befor I came here. Let me know if you liked the real live result of my starter sugestion.
simonm wrote:
ChristianSchwengeler wrote: … Always nice to grill outside, even for vegetarians. …
Funny, I have never fathomed what is interesting about grilling. One of the mysteries of life for me…
The nearest thing to grilling that I can relate to is roasting chestnuts in the autumn for a Magosto with Agua-Pe (in Galicia or Portugal).
Figs with cheese (or anything else) is something I can relate to however and I also prefer the dark ones - preferably fresh from the tree. Figs don't travel well.
The fire was our preferred element in my childhood and we made fires all the time. We grilled bread into charcoal and then eat it. I was a member of the boy scouts and we made very nice potatoes in the fire, and also chocolate bananas - which consist in opening a banana and filling it with a strip of chocolate and then wrapping into aluminum foil and cook it in the fire. Works perfectly. The fascinating thing with grilling is more the fact of being outside and the smell of the fire and the magic light. Of course with a normal grill it is not so fun.
One can even make raclette on a fire.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:22 pm

simonm wrote:
Simon! You must come to my house and I will show you what is so wonderful about grilling. BBQ (grilling) is popular throughout the United States. But, in the Southwestern US (including parts of northern Nevada) we have access to a very special wood, Piñon pine, which, when it is burned, yields one of the most beautiful and seductive aromas on Earth. Anything that you grill using this wonderful wood automatically picks up the added scent and flavor of pine nuts as well. I burn this wood in our fireplace all winter long and it is heavenly. You would love it, I'm sure. :D

Return to “The Café”