Delicious summer recipes

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
doug

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by doug » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:42 pm

I fixed the goat cheese, figs, pumpkin butter and walnuts last night. My wife and I both liked it very much.
Thank you for that recipe!
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C
2015 GV Rubio Estudio 640 SP/PE
2009 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640 SP

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:30 pm

ChristianSchwengeler wrote: The fire was our preferred element in my childhood and we made fires all the time. ….
When I was growing up a fire in the fireplace was the only heating so I have plenty of memories of making toast in front of it. Central heating and windows that didn't let the gales blow through came much later. :-)

Polifemo de Oro wrote: …. we have access to a very special wood, Piñon pine, which, when it is burned, yields one of the most beautiful and seductive aromas on Earth. ….
Now if you said you had a pizza over fired with this wood, I'd have to head to the airport right now! :lol:

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:40 pm

simonm wrote: Now if you said you had a pizza over fired with this wood, I'd have to head to the airport right now! :lol:
Jump on that next Lufthansa flight then, Simon. I never have pizza outside of our house if I can possibly help it (or if we happen to be traveling in Italy!)--it is all homemade; and to fire up the outside oven, stoked full of piñon, is not a problem. But, on second thought, please wait until it cools off a bit if you don't mind, because today it happens to be about 38 degrees Celsius in these parts. :D

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:02 pm

doug wrote:I fixed the goat cheese, figs, pumpkin butter and walnuts last night. My wife and I both liked it very much.
Thank you for that recipe!
I am happy to hear that! See you around :)
simonm wrote:
ChristianSchwengeler wrote: The fire was our preferred element in my childhood and we made fires all the time. ….
When I was growing up a fire in the fireplace was the only heating so I have plenty of memories of making toast in front of it. Central heating and windows that didn't let the gales blow through came much later. :-)
Thank you for your kind comment. In the house of my grandparents was no central heating either. They used to have a big ceramic stove in the living room which was heated from the kitchen side with wood – what we call “Kachelofen”. The stove had a special compartment where you could put things in, to heat them up – so the procedure in the winter was: instead of a hot water bottle for the bed we had some fabric bags with cherry kernels in it and they were put into the compartment to heat them up during the evening and then put into the bed to warm it up. This smells fantastic and gives a certain kind comfort which is very difficult to explain. The bags became so hot that in the beginning you would nearly get burned by touching it, but the bags were still warm in the morning and we used to take a few of them. The bag with the kernels is called “Chriesimaa” in my local dialect, and I guess today very little people know what this is even if I am not really old.

doug

Post by doug » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:07 pm

Late yesterday afternoon my wife and I were sitting on the front porch, and I asked her, "....what was that recipe I found on the classical guitar forum that had figs and pumpkin butter in it? We haven't fixed that in a long time!" Rather than go thru her card file of recipes, I grabbed my phone and did a search on here.....typed, "recipe" in the search box.....and found it.
Goat Cheese
Figs
Pumpkin butter
Walnuts

I've gotta' go to the grocery store!!!
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C
2015 GV Rubio Estudio 640 SP/PE
2009 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640 SP

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Or you can use (bitter?) almonds instead of walnuts - I had that combo in a Spanish restaurant once for dessert, without the pumpin butter, but with a dessert wine.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

dory

Post by dory » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:07 am

I bet the goat cheese recipe would be good with one of those semi-soft, salty Mexican cheeses too. (I am not really up on my namesof Mexican cheese. Cotija maybe?)
Dory

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:34 am

I've just remembered, the cheese was tetilla gallega (or whatever the correct spelling is). It's the only cheese I've ever eaten that actually tasted of cream.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:47 pm

So here is another summer sugestion:

Birchermuesli

AS I had told all ready I am originally Swiss and one of our summer standards is Birchermuesli. Unfortunately the term has been adulterated by the factories who do sell cereals and most people do not really understand that Birchermuesli is rather a fruit dish than cereals mixed with milk. The more fruit, the better it gets!

So to start you need a nice variation of fruit. For 4 persons it takes about 2 apples,
1 or 2 ripe peaches or a few ripe plums, or pears
(as an alternative you can use peaches from a can)
a good slice of any kind of melon you like,
berries or grapes of the kind you like,
300-400 gr.Soft white cheese or yogurt of your taste
About 300 ml of milk, soy milk or similar
Nuts and kernels of your taste and 2 soup spoons of grounded linseed
A small dose of cereals of your taste perhaps 60 gr.
Sugar or honey or the kind of sweetener you like, if you use the peaches from the can you can use the sugar juice from the can. Or no sweetener at all as the fruit does allready its job...

Start with peeling and grating the apples with the finer side of your rasp, cut all the fruit in small pieces, add the berries and all the other ingredients add the milk and mix it well with a spoon.Add more liquid if necessary. Let it rest for a while in the fridge - time is depending on the kind of cereal you are using as the cereal should absorb some liquid.

This is a very easy and tasty meal and easy to digest with hot weather. You can make it in bigger portions and keep it in the fridge during at least 2 days, and make several meals with it.

Andrew Pohlman

Re: Delicious summer receipts

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:53 pm

RichardUno wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:28 pm
Do you mean recipes?
For the word police: receipt and recipe are synonymous as cooking terms. Historically, recipes were copied onto a receipt in the library or somewhere not the kitchen - presumably away from food fights or other culinary debauchery. The receipt was used in the kitchen where they didn't need to worry about contaminating the book it was copied from. When I talk to my relatives in Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota, they make reference to the receipt. Maybe it's family thing and not a Midwestern thing...
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:12 am

Rezept is German for recipe; recette is French (I think). Americans who say receipt are probably influenced by someone's cultural background. Chambers says receipt is archaic English. I would never use it.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:12 am

Rezept is German for recipe; recette is French (I think). Americans who say receipt are probably influenced by someone's cultural background. Chambers says receipt is archaic English. I would never use it.

Oh, God, it's one of those forum days, is it?

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:45 am

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:47 pm
So here is another summer sugestion:

Birchermuesli

AS I had told all ready I am originally Swiss and one of our summer standards is Birchermuesli. Unfortunately the term has been adulterated by the factories who do sell cereals and most people do not really understand that Birchermuesli is rather a fruit dish than cereals mixed with milk. The more fruit, the better it gets!

So to start you need a nice variation of fruit. For 4 persons it takes about 2 apples,
1 or 2 ripe peaches or a few ripe plums, or pears
(as an alternative you can use peaches from a can)
a good slice of any kind of melon you like,
berries or grapes of the kind you like,
300-400 gr.Soft white cheese or yogurt of your taste
About 300 ml of milk, soy milk or similar
Nuts and kernels of your taste and 2 soup spoons of grounded linseed
A small dose of cereals of your taste perhaps 60 gr.
Sugar or honey or the kind of sweetener you like, if you use the peaches from the can you can use the sugar juice from the can. Or no sweetener at all as the fruit does allready its job...

Start with peeling and grating the apples with the finer side of your rasp, cut all the fruit in small pieces, add the berries and all the other ingredients add the milk and mix it well with a spoon.Add more liquid if necessary. Let it rest for a while in the fridge - time is depending on the kind of cereal you are using as the cereal should absorb some liquid.

This is a very easy and tasty meal and easy to digest with hot weather. You can make it in bigger portions and keep it in the fridge during at least 2 days, and make several meals with it.
Remarkable! Besides building nice guitars and playing them quite well, Christian, I could not imagine you also enjoyed cooking... :)
Aria A558, 655 mm, solid Cedar top, laminated Rosewood B&S, 1987, Nagoya, Japan
Hermanos Camps Master, 650 mm, Cedar, 2014 (Nº 3), Spain

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:38 pm

I like Mediterranean cuisine in the summer, a bit of Italian and Provencal style like bruschetta with tapenade (black olives, some capers, anchovies, garlic, herbes de Provence, a sip of brandy, a small spoon of mustard, all mixed together with excellent olive oil to a solid paste, smeared on sheets of toasted white bread or Baguette. Delicious!

Or try a tuna tatar Italian style. Take a piece of very fresh tuna fish and slice it with two knifes into tiny pieces a la steak tatare (or "americain", as the Belgians say). Season with basilic leafs and a pinch of garlic, a smal shallot or spring onion, salt, pepper, lemon and again very good olive oil. Mix it up and serve with fresh toasted Baguette bread. Most recipes show more ingredients. I prefer to keep it as simple as possible to fully enjoy the taste of fresh raw tuna and best olive oil. I take Ravida olive oil from Sicily. Never tasted any better.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:12 am
All of my relatives in the Midwest are hog ranchers and the children of German immigrants. Who would have thunk it? :D

Now for a delicious summer recipe - how about good 'ole American potato salad?

The background story is that my mom was a war bride from Australia. When she immigrated to this country, she had to learn to cook for my Midwestern father. This recipe is one of my favorites from the cookbook she used way back in 1946 - the American Woman's Cookbook.

Base : 6 medium new potatoes - cooked and cut up into chunks
"Sauce" :
3 tblspn vinegar
1 tblspn olive oil
3 tblspn capers
1 tblspn dried parsley
1 medium onion - coarse diced
2 ribs celery - coarse diced
1/2 cup mayonnaise (we use canola oil mayo nowadays)
Salt and pepper to taste
Adjust potato and sauce percentages to taste.
Mix it all up and let it sit over night in the fridge.
Serve cold. Yummy!
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Return to “The Café”