Every disease is a musical problem

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Re: Every disease is a musical problem

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:09 pm

:lol:

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:32 pm

Lots of research in this area. PM sent.

granadina

Post by granadina » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:57 pm

SusanGRas wrote:Lots of research in this area.
How about sharing some link / summary here on the forum ?

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:42 pm

A bowl of shreaded wheat before bed and you won't need an alarm clock to get you up in the morning! thats a poop joke
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:05 pm

granadina wrote:
SusanGRas wrote:Lots of research in this area.
How about sharing some link / summary here on the forum ?
I will ask the author about posting on a public forum.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:18 pm

"Fortunately for us , Music continues to be a mystery zone ."
I couldn't agree more! It's a beautiful practice in so many ways. "I was looking at the ceiling and then I saw the sky".

For me, a further mystery is why my landlord, who lives upstairs, hasn't thrown me out!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

granadina

Post by granadina » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:23 pm

Les Montanjees wrote: This link will give you a brief outline of the origin and uses of the bowls. http://www.bodhisattva.com/about.htm
This link will give you a demo of what they sound like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V0IMYlYVZQ
Both the links were quite informative .
Thanks a lot .
I was told that it takes great skill to formulate the alloys to make the bowls, especially bearing in mind that Tibet has never been
an industrialized country.
Metallurgical analysis : The original analysis we know of .. is an eight metal alloy of copper and tin with traces of iron, lead, zinc,
gold, silver and mercury.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:49 pm

Bronze then.
And you think the traces are deliberate rather than accidental?
The original bronzes were arsenical or phosphor bronze, by accident, rather than by design: the volcanicity that produces the ores produces a mixture of ores.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:55 pm

granadina wrote: Question : The Therapeutic aspect of 8Hz , then , has little to do with Music .. ?
If you have a frequency of 8 then you also have 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1,024, 2,048, 4,096, 8,192, 16,384..........
Not to mention the fifths and thirds

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:20 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:you might enjoy this excellent TED presentation by violinist Robert Gupta on the healing effects of music:

Youtube
Yes, that was excellent.

granadina

Post by granadina » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:05 am

Anthony Campanella wrote:
granadina wrote: Question : The Therapeutic aspect of 8Hz , then , has little to do with Music .. ?
If you have a frequency of 8 then you also have 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1,024, 2,048, 4,096, 8,192, 16,384..........
Not to mention the fifths and thirds
What I'm curious to know Anthony , can the inaudible sounds be called Music ?

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:53 am

Since an earlier intervention, some posts have been removed by their posters or by mods. From now on, anyone interested about the the definition of faith can find another forum more suitable for that kind of discussion. Religion and faith are so closely related that should the discussion continue here, it would be difficult to say when the line had been crossed, and moderators would be accused of being partial no matter where they drew the line. :merci:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

granadina

Post by granadina » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:02 am

Marko Räsänen wrote: Since an earlier intervention, some posts have been removed by their posters or by mods. From now on, anyone interested about the the definition of faith can find another forum more suitable for that kind of discussion. Religion and faith are so closely related that should the discussion continue here, it would be difficult to say when the line had been crossed, and moderators would be accused of being partial no matter where they drew the line. :merci:
Thanks for pointing it out .
( Have edited the said post . )

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:13 am

Resisting the temptation to get drawn into any use of the word "faith" and to indulge my scepticism of shamanic healing, I nevertheless think it might be helpful for us to explore the boundaries a little.

There is good, science based evidence of the value of music in assisting (not curing) some people who have conditions with a psychological (and sometimes neurological) component. Examples include stammering, dementia, language recovery after a stroke, agitation and stress (and associated high blood pressure related conditions.) When working with young children with severe learning difficulties or autism I often found singing, rather than speaking, to them engaged and relaxed them more quickly, allowing further work.

It is also true that music plays a useful assistive part in much exercise (at the gym, when running etc) adding motivation and enjoyment and sometimes assisting rhythm and coordination. So it assists the benefits of exercise on health.

Ultrasound is widely used in medicine (scans, muscle therapy etc) including as a way to agitate cells to make them more permeable to drugs. However, by any sensible definition, ultrasound (which is anyway outside of the range of human hearing) is not music.

Nor is there good scientific evidence for the value of music in healing conditions with a physiological, viral, microbial or parasitic basis. It will not save a gangrenous limb, cure someone with malaria or prevent the need for dialysis. It may of course assist those patients to feel psychologically better and stronger which might in turn aid their coping and recovery.

I think this thread's title, which I know to be a quote to stimulate discussion, goes too far (be still my scepticism of shamanism and contempt for quackery) but I am in no doubt that music has a wonderfully assistive role to play in medicine.

bert

Post by bert » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:08 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:I think this thread's title, which I know to be a quote to stimulate discussion, goes too far (be still my scepticism of shamanism and contempt for quackery) but I am in no doubt that music has a wonderfully assistive role to play in medicine.
Glad someone found the words I had trouble finding.

Return to “The Café”