Staffpad

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Staffpad

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:21 pm

I suspect a lot of members know about this, but for those who don't, take a look at this video. I can't use Finale - too much learning for the music writing that I do, so I write out all music by hand. But I'm going to investigate this.

Has anyone used this, and if so, what are your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_PgKyqE3RU

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

riffmeister

Re: Staffpad

Post by riffmeister » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:41 pm

Looks great!

I wonder if there is anything like this for Mac users?

Briant

Post by Briant » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:59 pm

Looks good, but i wonder if this is the music equivalent of predictive text. Certainly worth investigation.

Chimensch

Post by Chimensch » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:41 pm

I haven't used it but I have read just about everything that there is about it on the Internet. Everyone says it works great but the hurdle seems that, to get the best use out of it, you have to purchase a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet for about $400.00.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Chimensch wrote:I haven't used it but I have read just about everything that there is about it on the Internet. Everyone says it works great but the hurdle seems that, to get the best use out of it, you have to purchase a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet for about $400.00.
Oh ..... I just ran out and bought a new supply of pencils for $4.00. :D

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:29 am

Keep it old school and real man...get some carbon copy paper or better get an old fashioned mimeograph :)

Look man, if you can honestly write and read music, forget this binary BS. Ironic that i'm ranting about digital on a computer, but I do believe we have to keep writing and transcribing things analogue.

Les Montanjees

Post by Les Montanjees » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:02 am

It looks fabulous, wonderful and I ache for one, but $400 for a Surface Pro in the US translates to around $1,200 in Oz, plus around $100 for the software. I'd give almost anything to be rid of Sibelius - I hate it - but for that sort of money I could buy another guitar. Which I don't need. Well, not really. But now I come to think of it...

Ramon, have you tried MuseScore? It's free and pretty easy to use and the output looks pretty good. You can save to MusicXML as well, so scores can be opened in Sib or Finale.

Les Montanjees

Post by Les Montanjees » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:12 am

MessyTendon wrote:Keep it old school and real man...get some carbon copy paper or better get an old fashioned mimeograph :)

Look man, if you can honestly write and read music, forget this binary BS. Ironic that i'm ranting about digital on a computer, but I do believe we have to keep writing and transcribing things analogue.
MessyTendon, I don't disagree with you - I'm learning how to write with pencil and score pad, using Ron Gorow's mammoth book "Hearing and Writing Music,"- but I'd love to hear your argument. I'd like to persuade myself that I'm not just being a reactionary old fart.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:07 pm

MessyTendon wrote:Keep it old school and real man...get some carbon copy paper or better get an old fashioned mimeograph :)

As I said, I'm sticking to pencil and paper. Anyway, in the time it would probably take me to learn how to use one of these things, I could write out a concerto for guitar and orchestra.

Ramon

Return to “The Café”