Ambra strings by Aquila

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Rob MacKillop

Ambra strings by Aquila

Post by Rob MacKillop » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:43 pm

As many of you will know, I have been an advocate of gut strings, but two days ago I put on a set of Ambra strings which are claimed by Aquila to be the nylgut version of their Gut And Silk set. I'm very impressed by them. They are aimed at the sound of guitar strings from the time of Tarrega to Pujol, and I think they do that admirably. They are certainly cheaper than the Gut and Silk set, and will undoubtedly last longer. I still prefer gut, though, for its unique qualities, but these strings come close. The Gut and Silk set must be tuned lower than modern pitch by a quarter or semi tone, but the Ambra set easily tune up to 440.

Like all nylgut strings, they do take a long time to settle in tune. Even after two days I could only play one piece without retuning. But that will soon change. In the meantime I managed to make a quick video of Sojo's Cantico...

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=45435

relayer66

Re: Ambra strings by Aquila

Post by relayer66 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:13 am

Give the Alchemia set a try if you get a chance...I find the silver wound basses to sound quite nicer than the silver plated copper that are used in the Ambra and Alabastro sets.

fathillboy

Post by fathillboy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:39 am

I just ordered a set of these. I have a Taylor NS34ce, and i can't wait to hear what this guitar sounds like with these on them. I've read so much about these strings on this forum.

maiki

Post by maiki » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:07 am

I would like to know--what is the difference between the Aquila Alabastro strings and the Aquila Ambra CG strings? (They are both nylgut, both the trebles, and the core of the basses, from what I recal.)

Yes, I have read what Aquila writes about Ambra, but I would like to know real world differences, how the two sets sound different to you (people who have tried them both), on a modern classical guitar?

Are only the trebles different in the two sets, or both the trebles and the basses? (From what I can make out, their other set, Alchemia, much more expensive, has the same trebles as Alabastro, with different basses.)

Besides the difference in sound, how does the feel on the fingers compare? If I recall correctly, Alabastro comes in two tensions-normal and high, while Ambra only comes in one tension. (I may be mistaken on that, but it is what I recall.) Is the tension on the Ambras comparable with the Alabastro normal, or high, or neither? Lower than both?

-Z-

Post by -Z- » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:14 am

maiki wrote:I would like to know--what is the difference between the Aquila Alabastro strings and the Aquila Ambra CG strings? (They are both nylgut, both the trebles, and the core of the basses, from what I recal.)

Yes, I have read what Aquila writes about Ambra, but I would like to know real world differences, how the two sets sound different to you (people who have tried them both), on a modern classical guitar?

Are only the trebles different in the two sets, or both the trebles and the basses? (From what I can make out, their other set, Alchemia, much more expensive, has the same trebles as Alabastro, with different basses.)

Besides the difference in sound, how does the feel on the fingers compare? If I recall correctly, Alabastro comes in two tensions-normal and high, while Ambra only comes in one tension. (I may be mistaken on that, but it is what I recall.) Is the tension on the Ambras comparable with the Alabastro normal, or high, or neither? Lower than both?
I'm seeking out for different sounds, playability, feel on the strings... even though I'm fairly satisfied with my current set ( Augustine blue/regal, except for the G string that depending on what it's played sounds kinda dull, it do has it's pros an cons though) I want to try something new. I noticed this thread is dead for quite some time now but I feel compelled to inquiry about the matter...

Have you gone through with you research? I've been wondering the same questions. Anyone?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:03 am

This thread is so old my name on the original post is blacked out - I must be dead!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:19 am

RobMacKillop wrote:This thread is so old my name on the original post is blacked out - I must be dead!
You write very well for a dead person Rob.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:39 am

:mrgreen:

-Z-

Post by -Z- » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:01 pm

well, these sets ->IF <-found in my country they cost about 80 bucks... (US$ 25,00 more or less instead of 7,99 from the strings by mail for example), and importing sets implies that a fee of 60% is charged over the price + additional taxes. That's the reason I ask before going out and aimless buying lots of guitar string sets...

I just thought I could find some helpful information here from people who have experience with these strings... :desole:

robert e

Post by robert e » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:37 pm

-Z- wrote:well, these sets ->IF <-found in my country they cost about 80 bucks... (US$ 25,00 more or less instead of 7,99 from the strings by mail for example), and importing sets implies that a fee of 60% is charged over the price + additional taxes. That's the reason I ask before going out and aimless buying lots of guitar string sets...

I just thought I could find some helpful information here from people who have experience with these strings... :desole:
There are several threads about Aquila strings on this forum, but Aquila changed its nylon formulas over the years and I think your best bet for current information is to contact Mimmo Peruffo via the Aquilacorde website or via private message in this forum.

A couple of years ago, I tried the older opaque cream Alabastro set, which I liked, but which I don't think is available anymore. They were certainly atypical in texture, tone and feel; they took a long time to settle, but afterwards held pitch well (and when they didn't they went off very uniformly across all strings). And they lasted a long time. But the tension was too high for my guitar. I don't have any experience with the current generation yet--the nylon is different and smoother and there is more variety in tension. The Ambras then had a reputation for fragility, but I think the formulas and varieties have changed there too.

Based on my brief, outdated experience, I'd say that if you're generally happy with the Augustine Regal Blues, you're more likely to get a familiar feel from the Alabastros, though the tone and texture will be different. The Alabastro nylon will likely be denser, so the G may be less dull. But I'm going on outdated experience here. You should verify all this with Mimmo. Whether you and your guitar will be happy with them is anyone's guess.

A more economical experiment for you may be to try substituting a composite G string for your current G.

-Z-

Post by -Z- » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:36 pm

robert e wrote:
A more economical experiment for you may be to try substituting a composite G string for your current G.
The problem was not the G string, actually there was no problem at all, I like the Augustine but I imagine my tone and feel in other flavours more often than none.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:38 am

RobMacKillop wrote:This thread is so old my name on the original post is blacked out - I must be dead!
Are you starting to...smell funny? :P

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:24 am

:chaud: No, thankfully. I must be okay...

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:02 am

I am a couple of days into a set of Aquila Seta, encouraged by Rob M to try something different, specifically gut and the like. I ordered a selection of basses (Aquila) which I will marry up with his suggestion of gut trebles when they arrive.

Meanwhile, the Aquila set have supernylgut trebles and silver-plated copper wound on real silk - I'm not sure how these are distinguished from Aquila Ambra - the descriptions seem the same.

I suppose I am interested in a more 'vintage' sound for now at least. The basses are a major (auditory) adjustment for me after double silver (Pyramid or Knobloch) - they are certainly quieter with a softer tone, but maybe my ear needs to re-calibrate - I am trying to decide whether that equates to 'warmer'. They are squeakier than Pyramid.

The trebles are a very pleasant surprise. I was getting quite tired of the fluoro trebles I had on (Dogal I think), and the high E was particularly shrill. These Seta trebles are certainly warmer but still with good sustain, nice tone and feel good under the left hand. They have certainly settled in well, sound better than they did when they went on. Tuning to A435 is not ideal, and de-tuning the basses a minor quibble ... the price we pay for our ART :roll:

I'm looking forward to trying the other Aquilas (Ambra 800 and 900) and the gut strings - the big unknown - the only thing is they're a bit pricey. Especially that G from Damian D.

Comments? Peter? (Happy New year BTW)
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:46 am

Good luck. What works for me might not work for you, of course, but you know that. It's good to experiment. The Dlugolcki g will last for at least two years, so it's not really that expensive, just the initial outlay.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”