Strings... Low-Medium-Hard?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
petermc61

Re: Strings... Low-Medium-Hard?

Post by petermc61 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:37 pm

People rave about EJ45? :shock:

They are excellent in a number of respects. Easy on the hands, consistent balance top to bottom, invariably excellent intonation. These are largely 'hygiene' matters in my view. 'Rave' would normally imply some sort of emotional response, which is not something commonly seen by players in response to EJ45.

I am also not sure the pursuit of ever higher tension strings will get you anywhere either. If you want to try high tension effects go to the and extreme give the Hannabach 815 Silver Special Red set a go.

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:45 am

petermc61 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:37 pm
People rave about EJ45? :shock:

They are excellent in a number of respects. Easy on the hands, consistent balance top to bottom, invariably excellent intonation. These are largely 'hygiene' matters in my view. 'Rave' would normally imply some sort of emotional response, which is not something commonly seen by players in response to EJ45.

I am also not sure the pursuit of ever higher tension strings will get you anywhere either. If you want to try high tension effects go to the and extreme give the Hannabach 815 Silver Special Red set a go.
I have no idea why you would conclude that I am in pursuit of ever higher tension strings. I just explained in this thread that I have tried, and continue to try, strings of various tensions and I am about to try EJ 45. The La Bella High Tension strings I tried are rated at 85 lbs on a 655mm scale, which means they are about 83 lbs using the 648mm scale D'Addario uses. I don't think anyone would call these high/hard tension strings, except for La Bella.
The La Bella Extra Hard Tension strings that I might try are about 88 lbs. on a 648mm scale. Not very high tension.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:34 am

Flapjack wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:06 pm
petermc61 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:51 pm
Flapjack wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:27 pm

EJ 45 are the next strings I plan to try. I already have them and will put them on when my current strings wear out. I have already tried EJ 44, which are the highest tension pro arte nylon set, and thought they sounded dull compared to the two Savarez sets and La Bella 2001 Hard tension set, which is about the same tension as EJ 45. The La Bella 2001 and Savarez 500CR are my favorites so far (prefer Corum basses to the La Bella 2001 Hard Tension, but like the La Bella 2001 trebles better than the Cristal). The Cristal trebles in both sets sound nice, but the high E string in both the 500CJ and 500CR sets sound a bit cold/thin/pingy to me.
If you found EJ44 dull prepare yourself for dull again on EJ45. Augustine, Aranjuez, Mari, Pyramid, Ramirez to name just a few are making far more interesting and musical strings in my view.
Not to worry. I am mentally prepared. :D I thought I needed to try the EJ 45 since so many rave about them. I think I will try an Augustine Imperial Red set after the EJ 45. I am also tempted to try a set of La Bella Extra Hard tension since I liked the trebles so much in the Hard set (same trebles as Extra Hard). The Extra Hard set has higher tension low E and A strings than the Hard set, the rest of the strings are the same. If they provide a bit more punch than the basses on the Hard set they just might meet my needs.
Based on my experience for Córdoba C9: high tension strings (I mean tension value) are very good for Córdoba C9.
Such as Augustine Imperial Red, Regal Blue, Hannabach 815 HT, Savarez 500CJ...
Poor results with D'Addario EJ45 especially treble strings.
Otto Vowinkel Concert 650, Juan Hernandez Torres 640,
German V. Rubio Concert 635, Kenny Hill Performance 630,
Córdoba C9 650, Sweet Tone 640

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:19 am

nmshu1 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:34 am
Flapjack wrote:
petermc61 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:51 pm

If you found EJ44 dull prepare yourself for dull again on EJ45. Augustine, Aranjuez, Mari, Pyramid, Ramirez to name just a few are making far more interesting and musical strings in my view.
Not to worry. I am mentally prepared. :D I thought I needed to try the EJ 45 since so many rave about them. I think I will try an Augustine Imperial Red set after the EJ 45. I am also tempted to try a set of La Bella Extra Hard tension since I liked the trebles so much in the Hard set (same trebles as Extra Hard). The Extra Hard set has higher tension low E and A strings than the Hard set, the rest of the strings are the same. If they provide a bit more punch than the basses on the Hard set they just might meet my needs.
Based on my experience for Córdoba C9: high tension strings (I mean tension value) are very good for Córdoba C9.
There seems to be a consensus that higher tension strings are best for this guitar, and I might end up agreeing. For now, I will continue to experiment with different strings to determine which I think work best. So far, Savarez Corum normal tension basses and La Bella 2001 hard tension trebles (not very high tension) are my favorite strings on the C9.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Flapjack wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:19 am
nmshu1 wrote:
Flapjack wrote:

There seems to be a consensus that higher tension strings are best for this guitar, and I might end up agreeing. For now, I will continue to experiment with different strings to determine which I think work best. So far, Savarez Corum normal tension basses and La Bella 2001 hard tension trebles (not very high tension) are my favorite strings on the C9.
I think Córdoba company has tried all kinds of possible strings. And Savarez 500CJ is the best.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:35 pm

Sadly I am deaf to the virtues of high tension strings. The first time I tried them was also the last. I think the guitar may have sounded a bit louder, but I am not even sure of that. I didn’t find them uncomfortable for the left hand. I just didn’t like the sound.
So I use only normal/medium tension strings. But you could say I also use light tension strings, in a sense, because, even though I never install them, I often tune the guitar below standard pitch, usually around a4 = 430 and occasionally as low as 415 which is a semitone down. I keep it like this for a few days and then I go back to 440 for a while again. I must say that my usual downtuning to 430, even though it’s only about 35-40 cents below standard pitch, sounds very different, especially the first couple of days until I start getting used to it. It feels like a lusher, fuller, more solemn sound, a bit darker but very pleasant. And then, when I go back to standard after a few days, I like that new sound too. I get the pleasant feeling that I have at least two guitars in one, and that both sound great, and that I can switch from one to the other without even changing strings.
Yamaha GC42S

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:00 pm

nmshu1 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:16 pm
Flapjack wrote:
nmshu1 wrote:

I think Córdoba company has tried all kinds of possible strings. And Savarez 500CJ is the best.
It appears that I have been foolish experimenting with different strings since Cordoba has already decided that the 500CJ are the best. What was I thinking? :D

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:40 am

Flapjack wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:00 pm
nmshu1 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:16 pm
Flapjack wrote:

It appears that I have been foolish experimenting with different strings since Cordoba has already decided that the 500CJ are the best. What was I thinking? :D
Córdoba recommends C9 with Savarez 500CJ for the guitar. Not for your playing. Sometimes you have to find another kind of strings for ease of play...

Guitarhancock

Post by Guitarhancock » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:07 am

Augustine low...LaBella low....DAddario low

I guess low wins . Ramon was and is right!

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:42 am

Guitarhancock wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:07 am
Augustine low...LaBella low....DAddario low

I guess low wins . Ramon was and is right!
It's interesting how the thread consensus is a little different compared to 2005 when this thread began. Back then: "Nothing but Extra Extra EXTRA hard tension for me, baby! Low tension? Wazzat? Do low tension strings even exist?!? Who on earth would use such a thing?!?" :D

I use low tension strings because they're easier on my fingers. If I were a concert guitarist though I'd probably want something with a little more projection and power, I guess.

630mm

Post by 630mm » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:31 pm

The stiffer the guitar top, the higher the tension that is needed to get the top moving. If the top is compliant and responsive enough, low tensions will generally sound the richest with the most sustain and overtones possible. The reason for this is less internal damping due to less nylon material. Intonation is also generally improved with thinner strings. I agree with Ramon on this, but he has often stated that low tensions sound best regardless of the guitar. In my experience, the stiffer tops as are commonly found on factory guitars need a higher tension string to overcome the top's stiffness. Hopefully Ramon chimes in or someone else who has experienced this phenomenon where stiffer guitars need more tension. I can't be alone on this.
2017 Benito Huipe "Bouchet" Spruce 655mm
2015 Francisco Navarro Concert Cedar 630mm
1976 Masaru Matano 600 Cedar 658mm
1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

Mårten

Post by Mårten » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks for a lot of intersting information. I'm a beginner and have so far not cared to much about strings, just tried a few brands asking for medium tension in the store.
I've found a favourite set in Savarez carte Roja but today tried a low tension Savarez.
It's so different that it's disturbing and just want me to change again but I'll give it a couple of weeks.
If anyone more experienced wants to share some thoughts about switching to lower tension I'll be grateful😎🤙🎶

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:37 am

630mm wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:31 pm
The stiffer the guitar top, the higher the tension that is needed to get the top moving. If the top is compliant and responsive enough, low tensions will generally sound the richest with the most sustain and overtones possible. The reason for this is less internal damping due to less nylon material. Intonation is also generally improved with thinner strings. I agree with Ramon on this, but he has often stated that low tensions sound best regardless of the guitar. In my experience, the stiffer tops as are commonly found on factory guitars need a higher tension string to overcome the top's stiffness. Hopefully Ramon chimes in or someone else who has experienced this phenomenon where stiffer guitars need more tension. I can't be alone on this.
That's what I keep repeating all the time: optimum string tension depends, among other factors, most importantly on top mass, stiffness and construction. :D
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:56 am

How do I know if my guitar has a stiff top? (insert joke here). Seriously. I have a Hauser replica; Hausers were supposed to have stiff tops, even thought they're lightly built, I've been told. when I emailed my luthier about using low tension strings he recommended against them but never said why.

D'addario low tension strings sounded terrible on my guitar and I thought it was because they couldn't 'drive' the top. But Augustine blacks sound great on the same guitar; these are also low tension. Hmmm. I think the D'addarios just sounded bad.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:07 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:56 am
How do I know if my guitar has a stiff top? (insert joke here). Seriously. I have a Hauser replica; Hausers were supposed to have stiff tops, even thought they're lightly built, I've been told. when I emailed my luthier about using low tension strings he recommended against them but never said why.

D'addario low tension strings sounded terrible on my guitar and I thought it was because they couldn't 'drive' the top. But Augustine blacks sound great on the same guitar; these are also low tension. Hmmm. I think the D'addarios just sounded bad.
Jeffrey

As discussed in various places what a manufacturer calls "low tension" is up to them. Augustine black has low tension basses. The trebles are normal or higher depending on the product line (classic, imperial or regal).

Did you start to use the Savarez Cantiga creation you wrote in a different treat? How do they fit in?

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”