Question for ladies with small hands who play short scale guitars

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Re: Question for ladies with small hands who play short scale guitars

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:25 am

Beowulf wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:05 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:37 pm

It seems I am going to need hard tension strings for her guitar because of the short scale. I just have to find some thin ones.
Keep in mind that tension is proportional to thickness...in general increasing string tension is accomplished by increasing thickness.
Right you are, and the skinniest strings I have found so far are the D'Addario. HT carbons. And at 103 lbs of tension, I'm hoping that the strings will feel about like medium tension on a 650mm scale. This is all a turkey shoot as they don't rate string tension based on a 3/4 size guitar, and I don't know what scale length D'Addario uses to get their numbers. I haven't checked titanium yet, so that may be another option. I've never used theml though.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:25 am

Right you are, and the skinniest strings I have found so far are the D'Addario. HT carbons. And at 103 lbs of tension, I'm hoping that the strings will feel about like medium tension on a 650mm scale. This is all a turkey shoot as they don't rate string tension based on a 3/4 size guitar, and I don't know what scale length D'Addario uses to get their numbers. I haven't checked titanium yet, so that may be another option. I've never used theml though.
Try out D'Addario's "stringtensionpro" and you can calculate how the different scale will affect the tension.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:15 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:18 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:25 am

Try out D'Addario's "stringtensionpro" and you can calculate how the different scale will affect the tension.
Thanks
I tried it and it only had previously selected string diameters in a menu. So it didn't work
Last edited by Laudiesdad69 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:57 am
I have a question for ladies with small hands. First some background. My wife is really small (5 ft tall). Her hand span from thumb to pinky is 6 inches, and her fingers are really small around. She plays a 610mm scale guitar and I have a question regarding string preferences.

If there are any of you reading that play a short scale guitar that short or shorter, what tension of strings do you use and what brand? Unfortunately, most of the strings we have tried are too big in diameter for her to play comfortably as she doesn't have much flesh to work with on her finger tips.

Mostly, we have tried various sets that I have used on my guitars in both medium and hard tension, but again, they are too big in diameter for her comfort. I don't know if low tension would work as the scale length is so short as too possibly be too sloppy.

Carbon? Nylon? Titanium? Please tell me what has worked for you. I can't even play on her guitar to gain some sense of how the strings feel on her guitar as she is left handed and plays a left handed guitar. She is about ready to throw in the towel on CG all together, and me trying the various sets that I've used on her guitar seems to be futile.

Any help is appreciated.

Scott
my hands are probably large rather than small, but amid my instruments I have one which I really like with 550 mm scale - and I play it often and love it.
I use general normal tension d'addario for it.
I suspect that in your case it is a guitar problem, not strings.
Something wrong with guitar.
Please try to fix or...
Buy another small, but nice instrument for her if this one do not work :)
Last edited by AndreiKrylov on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:54 pm

At your scale length: the high e in carbon at 6.5 Kg will be near 0.53 mm. It will be 0.49 mm if you are prepared to play at 5.5 Kg. Those are pretty thin strings, almost reaching lute thin.
It will be 0.7 mm and 0.65 mm in nylon.
Historicalguitars.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:40 am

Duplicate post
Last edited by Laudiesdad69 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:41 am

Andrei Krylov
[/quote]
my hands are probably large rather than small, but amid my instruments I have one which I really like with 550 mm scale - and I play it often and love it.
I use general normal tension d'addario for it.
I suspect that in your case it is a guitar problem, not strings.
Something wrong with guitar.
Buy another small, but nice instrument for her if this one do not work :)
[/quote]

I ordered some D'Addario hard tension carbons. According to info at the SBM website, these are the smallest in diameter on the treble strings. We aren't dealing with a guitar problem really it has had a new saddle and nut made for it, but I will possibly have to do this again if the string slots are too big. I will probably lower the saddle a hair, but the problem that my wife has is that her fingers aren't very big around. And not having very much flesh to work with on them is the problem for her.
The treble strings that we have tried are too big around and leaves huge grooves in her finger tips. She tells me that her finger tips hurt after playing.

The last set we tried was Augustine Classic Blue, which were huge. And yes, I would prefer it if we could get her a better guitar, but left handed, fractional sized guitars are hard to come by, short of commissioning one, and that would cost a small fortune. Her guitar is Chinese made, and is a right hander that was converted to lefty by a luthier with a new nut and new bridge with properly compensated saddle. 50mm nut. I wish she could play a full size guitar, but the body would be too big. Of the lower tension strings I tried, EJ45 D'ADDARIO were the most comfortable trebles for her, as there really wasn't much tension being on a 610mm guitar. But the strings were too sloppy and loose feeling.

My wife used to have a Taylor GS Mini (steel string) and actually she felt this was more comfortable on her finger tips as the strings were so small in diameter, and there was less tension being short scale. We both hated the sound of it though (classical just sound better).

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:22 am

Well, I got the D'Addario carbons put on and they are really skinny, except the basses. My wife says that the treble strings are comfortable in comparison to the previous strings we tried. The carbon trebles are really skinny, almost like electric guitar strings.

The strings are quite pliable, but not sloppy like the previous medium tensions we have used. Hopefully she will want to play her guitar now.

Lysiane Chantre

Post by Lysiane Chantre » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:12 am

...I am a "short" lady with tiny hands, as I told you I have an Alhambra Senorita 7/8 with D'Addario EJ45, my finger tips hurt, I don't feel comfortable, I bought an other guitar with richer sound Kremona Solea SA-C 4/4, and manage to play yet, and feel so good at playing unless my left hand hurts...You really want your wife to play, and tries to help, as far as you develop explanations, I would say she doesn't want to deceive you, but....

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:55 pm

I play a 640, at the long end of "short scale". I find that medium-tension strings of any brand feel a bit flabby on it (as opposed the same on my older 664-scale guitar). Right now I'm playing Hannabach Silver Special mediums, which are surprisingly easy to play, given their reputation. For what it's worth though, I always use a Savarez Alliance (carbon) G no matter what brand of string set. I will likely try a hard-tension set eventually.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:53 am

Here we have an obvious dilemma. Since the string length is short normal tension strings are slack. But to compensate for that condition we need thicker (high tension) strings. Maybe what we need is a lighter weight guitar with thinner top, sides, and back, a throwback to earlier guitars and lutes, so the string tension would not need to be so high.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:43 pm

Hey John, the thinner strings of the carbon D'Addarios are working fine. I may have to go with medium tension on the basses though at some point. She hasn't complained about the basses though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. She says that the new strings feel better, and all of them are more slack due to the 610mm scale. We will just have to wait and see.

The worst strings that we tried were the Augustine classic Blue, which were so fat that they were too big for the slots on the nut. The g string was chewed up and broke at the nut.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:51 am

Lysiane Chantre wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:12 am
...I am a "short" lady with tiny hands, as I told you I have an Alhambra Senorita 7/8 with D'Addario EJ45, my finger tips hurt, I don't feel comfortable, I bought an other guitar with richer sound Kremona Solea SA-C 4/4, and manage to play yet, and feel so good at playing unless my left hand hurts...You really want your wife to play, and tries to help, as far as you develop explanations, I would say she doesn't want to deceive you, but....
Lysiane, are you saying that your finger tips hurt too even with the D'Addario EJ45? Those are medium tension strings. I am waiting for my wife's new set of strings to get broke in so she can really see if this is going to work. While size of the treble strings is just about right now, the bass strings are pretty thick. I am going to look around at some string diameters for bass strings and see if I can find some thinner hard tension strings for the bass now..

I went with the D'Addario because of the treble string diameters, but on a full size guitar the set of strings pulls in at 103 pounds. I think I can get some basses that are a little thinner as well. I just have to make sure that the bass side is about even tension wise with treble side. My wife is kind of a newbie, been playing about a year, and I am just trying to make it as comfortable for her as possible. Luckily SBM has data on string size and individual string tension for most of their strings that they sell.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Well, I made it easy on myself and I found out that the skinniest diameter strings that they have in bass sets is Savarez (540, o think he said) and I ordered a couple of sets and a couple of sets of the D'Addario hard tension Carbon trebles. She really likes the trebles as they leave a smaller imprint in her finger tips. I will then lower the saddle accordingly, when I make the new one.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Got the new Savarez basses put on. They are actually a pound heavier than the D'Addario, but a little bit smaller in diameter. The adjusted saddle is now 8/64and 7/64 action at the 12th fret. And with little break angle left, she is going to have to be happy with it at that height. She should be as it is at least 1/64 lower across the saddle. Next week I will check the intonation on the G string and may wind up cutting a wedge back on the top of the saddle for intonation

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”