Strings by Mail and Michigan Use Tax

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Leo

Re: Strings by Mail and Michigan Use Tax

Post by Leo » Sun May 08, 2016 7:40 am

I live in California and I just placed an order, no sales tax added. 8)

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:58 am

You Americans have an overly complex tax system.... Use tax?? Sheesh, all for a set of strings or two. :shock:

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:30 pm

I received an email from John Wunsch at SBM. Here's what he said:
Tax laws do not require Strings By Mail to charge any tax to any
customer outside of Michigan.
For a brief period at the time of this thread the site did display tax
to all customers until it was
removed from the final total for all customers outside Michigan.
Hope that clarifies things

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:04 am

Leo, as a former resident of Taxachusetts, AKA, Massachusetts, the use tax is essentially Massachusetts way of trying to get money from consumers who drive to New Hampshire to buy merchandise. New Hampshire does not have sales tax so if you live in Boston and want a 60 inch television set to watch the Superbowl you could drive to Best Buy in Watertown MA and pay $500 and then pay an additional $31.25 in tax or spend $5 in gas and drive to and from Salem N.H. (about 50 miles round trip) to the Best Buy there and save the $31.25 minus $5 for a grand savings total of $26.25. While in N.H. you can get liquor cheaper and cigarettes (if a smoker) at half price and.....well, a lot of money can be saved. Long story short, it is up to the tax goons to track you down. Technically one is suppose to save receipts and declare the tax savings on your income tax form. I suspect no one does it. Massachusetts is no dummy and they do tax people who purchase a car in a state with no sales tax (i.e., N.H.). Buy a car in N.H. and you will pay Mass tax on the car. Massachusetts does allow tax payers to voluntarily pay a higher state income tax rate if they want to do so-- I am not sure anyone does so.

Another wrinkle to sales tax, as I understand it, is if a store exists in your state and you buy from the store of the same chain in another state. you have to pay sales tax. L.L. Bean is a great example. Here in Kentucky there is no L.L. Bean store so if I buy from Beans (located in Maine) I do not pay sales tax. Back in Massachusetts I would have to pay sales tax as there is a L.L. Bean store there. Of course I could drive to Concord NH to the Bean store there and not pay sales tax.

Then there are the Indian cigarette stores in New York. They sell cigarettes via mail/UPS and do not charge any form of tax. A lot of states got perturbed by that and actually went after buyers. I recall talking with a few folks in Chicago when I lived there who bought cigarettes from the tribes and were hit with tax bills from the state of Illinois. Guitar strings are one thing, cigarettes are another.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

pima1234

Post by pima1234 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:06 am

Lots of strange things like that exist here in Michigan, I hate to say. Pure Michigan... :lol: :!: :roll:
robin loops wrote:Just don't order anything from Michigan until they realize it's killed their commerce.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:39 am

I just got received package from SBM today. No tax added.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:33 am

I have never been charged any tax on my SBM orders. I won't be surprised if Oregon (where I live) doesn't come up with some sort of way to punish for buying things out of state, like strings. I mean I could get some of my SBM items locally, but they would also be more expensive. And SBM will ship for $4.00, so I don't have to place too large an order to make it worthwhile.

Gregory Gleason

Post by Gregory Gleason » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:51 am

My wife is a sales and use tax accountant, so I have heard all about this stuff.

Basically, if the seller has nexus (presence) in your state, then they are supposed to collect sales tax. If not, then it's on you to pay use tax to your local state, but no one does that.
1994 Kohno Special (spruce/Brazillian)
2002 Hill Munich (spruce/Indian Rosewood)
1999 Hill Madrid (cedar/Indian Rosewood)
1972 Ramirez 1a

pima1234

Post by pima1234 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:43 am

Living here, it's become completely clear. So sad.

Of course, I love supporting SBM, and sales taxes are the one type I have no problem paying.
robin loops wrote:
Fri May 06, 2016 4:13 pm
Just don't order anything from Michigan until they realize it's killed their commerce.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”