Fishing lines, are you kidding me?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
wchymeus

Fishing lines, are you kidding me?

Post by wchymeus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:13 am

I was reading this post viewtopic.php?f=43&t=114322 and spotted that both Souldier and Tomzooki are reporting using fishing lines in lieu of traditional guitar strings ... referring to "seaguar" fluorocarbon types... :shock:

I thought we could have a dedicated thread on this topic: pros, cons, how do they compare to X, Y and Z, tension... cheaper? durable? etc.
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

petermc61

Re: Fishing lines, are you kidding me?

Post by petermc61 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:57 am

A dedicated thread? I think there have been many threads in this topic already.

If you like carbon trebles they are worth a try. If you don't like carbon, don't bother.

wchymeus

Post by wchymeus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:55 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:57 am
A dedicated thread? I think there have been many threads in this topic already.
:oops: my bad, I saw this one viewtopic.php?f=43&t=114018 you're right...
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:04 pm

I use 3 gauges of the Seagar premier for my 2nd through 4th strings on my 13 string Dresden guitar (1st is a nylon E for a thicker diameter and the rest are wound). I have much better intonation and tone using these instead of the Savarez carbons that the guitar came with.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:01 pm

You should hear Tomzooki's version of Reeling in the Years. Oh, and Salmon chanted Evening.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 pm

I was surprised myself when I heard others were using fishing line... for a while I thought it was some classical guitar inside joke until I realized they were serious.

When you realize these fluorocarbon lines are essentially made of the same material that carbon guitar strings are made, then its not too hard to believe. If you've tried carbon strings before and like them, these seaguar premier lines are definitely worth giving a shot. They are my string of choice as far as carbon goes because they have they have the power, response and sustain of carbon while still having some of the warmth and tonal beauty of nylon, and they feel nice and comfortable under the fingers. They also are super durable and hold their tone for a long long time (I mean these things are designed to catch some big fish!). It's also really cool being able to tell others that your strings are made of legit fishing line after they've commented on how beautiful your guitar sounds. For those wanting to dip their toes in the world of fishing line I suggest:

3rd string - 80lb Seaguar Fluoro Premier 25 Yards Fluorocarbon Leader
2nd string - 60lb Seaguar Fluoro Premier 25 Yards Fluorocarbon Leader
1st String - La Bella 10PH or Augustine Imperial or Regal. Others here may have different suggestions for the 1st string but I personally think they blend well together. Many complain that carbon 1st strings tend to be too high tension, sound tinny, and are too thin which is probably why we have yet to find a suitable Seaguar gauge that works well for it. It's probably more of an issue of the material just not being suitable for the first string.

Some might be turned off by having to buy them on expensive reels, but it actually comes out to around $1-1.50 a string which is pretty average considering we pay $7+ a set. It will also last a life time and the 3rd string blends really well with full nylon sets without the tubbiness. However, if you've tried several brands of carbon trebles but have never liked them, then I'd skip on these.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:16 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:01 pm
You should hear Tomzooki's version of Reeling in the Years. Oh, and Salmon chanted Evening.
:lol:
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:25 am

souldier wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 pm
. They also are super durable and hold their tone for a long long time (I mean these things are designed to catch some big fish!).
That is the reason why I wanted to try them. I have very thin nails and they scratch the treble strings, particularily the 1st string, very quickly. I got tired to have my 1st string begining to sound bad before it had time to stop stretching and stay in tune.... Seriously the Seaguar premier is much more durable , after 2 weeks it is barely scratched :-)
Yamaha GC-3A

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:30 am

The tone is somewhat different from carbon classical guitar strings. It reminds me of the gut strings of my viola da gamba. It is not surprising those fishing lines are often used by period instrument players instead of gut.
Yamaha GC-3A

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:54 am

souldier wrote:
1st String - La Bella 10PH or Augustine Imperial or Regal. Others here may have different suggestions for the 1st string but I personally think they blend well together. ..
+1

Basically that's a great combination. With the La Bella one could find the e1 a bit too stiff and Regal to high in tension. I would also consider Aquila Alabastro e1 NT or Savaret New Crystal NT e1. It also goes well with Daddario EJ45 e1 if you like that one. Another option is just to use only Seaguar 0.81 mm for g and then our favored e1 b2 set with just g replaced.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:31 am

souldier wrote:
1st String - La Bella 10PH or Augustine Imperial or Regal. O
What are the string diameters for these?
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

630mm

Post by 630mm » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:22 am

I believe the Seaguar 100 is .91mm, the 80 is .78mm and 60 is .70mm. I find that the 100lb works best on guitars which favor higher tension strings and a loud g, whereas the 80lb works well for long scale guitars or guitars favoring lower tension strings and a g that is less powerful. Unfortunately I have a few guitars that really need a g string somewhere in the middle. Galli Carbonio HT or Savarez Alliance Gs have been the next best thing on these guitars.
2017 Benito Huipe "Bouchet" Spruce 655mm
2015 Francisco Navarro Concert Cedar 630mm
1977 Yamaha GC-5S Cedar 658mm
1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”