My string capstan fixation method - anybody else doing it?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
powderedtoastman

Re: My string capstan fixation method - anybody else doing it?

Postby powderedtoastman » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:42 am

I do this but the 6th string is a really tight fit so I tend not to do it on that one. Anyone else?

SteveL123

Postby SteveL123 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:05 pm

Gorn wrote:
uptempo wrote:I'm not really following the method - is there any chance of a video of you doing this at some stage?

It's as simple as this:

It's also possible to fix the string at the bridge first, but starting at the head is very much easier!

Interesting method! Have you tried it with carbon strings? Treble E carbons are very small in diameter compared to non carbons and much more slippery.

jhapgood

Postby jhapgood » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:33 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:I do this but the 6th string is a really tight fit so I tend not to do it on that one. Anyone else?

Low E is tight, but with a little patience I can always "get it done!" I like the method very much and use it all the time.

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

Dustin McKinney
Student of the online lessons

Postby Dustin McKinney » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:52 pm

I love this! I will give it a shot at next string change.
Francisco Navarro 630mm Student Classical (Spruce)
Kremona Fiesta FC

joachim33

Postby joachim33 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:43 pm

uptempo wrote:Just thought I would update.

I tried this method today and I must say it is very good. The guitar seems to come up to tune quickly and the new strings have settled quickly. And the whole thing looks really tidy.

What do you call quickly? How stable do you get, say after a day?

JohnB

Postby JohnB » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Silly question: what's wrong with the traditional method?
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

twang

Postby twang » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:27 pm

JohnB wrote:Silly question: what's wrong with the traditional method?

Too much sustain. :-)
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

bacsidoan

Postby bacsidoan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:53 pm

Gorn wrote:
uptempo wrote:I'm not really following the method - is there any chance of a video of you doing this at some stage?

It's as simple as this:
It's also possible to fix the string at the bridge first, but starting at the head is very much easier!

Thank you Gorn. Your way is certainly the neatest looking with no risk of slippage. Rarely the hole in the roller of the low E string is not big enough to accommodate the string so that I have to use the "traditional" method :(

There is one downside to your method. Once in a while if the string breaks at the tieblock or the saddle (particularly the D-string) one will have no choice but installing a new string, because there will not be enough length left for restringing. This would not be a problem for d'Addario strings but could be expensive for some of "boutique" strings on the market.

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Sounds very complicated to me. I'm using much simpler method allowing for as little winding of the string on the roller as possible (settles quicker) and I have never had a slippage, never...

Also I like to shift the D string from time to time a bit so that it doesn't get worn through the frets too fast, and that would be quite complicated with this system, as I have to leave some excess string behind the roller.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

bacsidoan

Postby bacsidoan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:42 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:Sounds very complicated to me. I'm using much simpler method allowing for as little winding of the string on the roller as possible (settles quicker) and I have never had a slippage, never...

Also I like to shift the D string from time to time a bit so that it doesn't get worn through the frets too fast, and that would be quite complicated with this system, as I have to leave some excess string behind the roller.

I don't disagree with you. It is not a panacea by any means. I do employ this method on all my Seaguar Premier trebles because of the tidy look, and those "soft steel" strings are cheap (buying in reels) and virtually indestructible.

Gorn

Postby Gorn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:23 pm

joachim33 wrote:
uptempo wrote:Just thought I would update.

I tried this method today and I must say it is very good. The guitar seems to come up to tune quickly and the new strings have settled quickly. And the whole thing looks really tidy.

What do you call quickly? How stable do you get, say after a day?

My bass strings are stable after 10 to 15 Minutes, the trebles after one hour. But that's typical for my strings (GHS 2500), not basically the fixing method.

Gorn

Postby Gorn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:41 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:Sounds very complicated to me. I'm using much simpler method allowing for as little winding of the string on the roller as possible (settles quicker) and I have never had a slippage, never...

My method allows to wind up as much string as you like, but it's ALSO safely fixed with very little windings. Before I discovered indestructable GHS 2500's (nickel wound), I wound up cheap EXP46-clones. I put up one or two additional windings, so I could easily change the position of the "rusty" spots to go between the frets after a couple of playing hours. I never managed to play until a string broke at a fret position (O.K., O.K. when I started playing guitar a couple of decades ago, second fret D string "always" broke - after a year or so).
I think my main intention to do that is simply lazyness - how many years of my life were wasted by turning the pegs instead of playing guitar??? :D

lagartija

Postby lagartija » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:56 pm

chrispeppler wrote:String through hole in capstan from behind/underneath the head... loop over the top of capstan on one side of string coming up from the bridge.... back under the string so string end now positioned on other side of where it entered hole in capstan ... hold end tight as string tightened up and clamps over the held string end ... and there you have it. By the time the string is fully tuned it will be around the capstan a number of times and you can cut off the excess. I think this is the standard way of attaching new strings, but even if its not it works well and results in minimum string being wound around the capstan.

^This is what I do. I start from the bridge (I just started to use bone beads at the bridge) bring the string up to the head and tie as described above. With the bone beads (low profile ones from Rosette) I don't have to tie the extra anti-slip figure 8 knot in the trebles and the string stretch was minimal.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:56 pm

Gorn wrote:... - how many years of my life were wasted by turning the pegs instead of playing guitar??? :D

That's what electric winders are for, or not? :lol:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”