Pepe Romero Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Tim522

Pepe Romero Strings

Postby Tim522 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:26 am

has anyone tried the pepe romero strings from la bella?

gabasa

Re: Pepe Romero Strings

Postby gabasa » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:20 am

I just went onto the StringsByMail website and thought the same. Has anyone had a chance to try them out? According to the Pepe Romero website, the hard tension/clear nylon set has treble strings that use a 50 year old formula. I wonder what those in particular sound like.

celestemcc

Postby celestemcc » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:25 pm

Also curious. They come with either rectified trebles or clear trebles, but the description really doesn't help much.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

celestemcc

Postby celestemcc » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:47 pm

Just talked via chat with a salesperson at guitarsalon.com, comparing the Romero strings to my usual LaBella 2000s. The rectified Romeros are meant to sound more like gut. The Romero nylon strings are thicker and higher tension than the 2000s (which are not the thinnest strings going). I didn't ask about the fluorocarbon Romero set. Hope this is of some help till reviews come in!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

gabasa

Postby gabasa » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:50 am

I ordered some, but I'm not sure if I'll put them on right away because I also have Cantiga/100p strings coming in. That's a combination I really want to try!

Once I've had a chance to play them, I'll definitely get back here.

mando48

Postby mando48 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:41 pm

I have seen so many for sale postings of high-end guitars formerly owned and played by Pepe Romero that I always assumed he never changed strings , when his strings went dead I just got a new guitar!

PaulHintz

Postby PaulHintz » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:50 pm

I ordered (and received in 2 days!) a set of the rectified nylon Romero signature strings. When I put them on my Kenny Hill Barcelon, in a month or so, I too will report. Had just put a new set of carbon strings on my guitar when I learned about the sale at stringsbymail. To follow up on a previous poster, I did not receive one of Mr Romero's former guitars along with the set of strings... perhaps one has to order 6 or more sets to get that bonus gift.....
"In all human work, the wise look for virtues and fools look for flaws." Jose Ramirez I

gabasa

Postby gabasa » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:30 am

I've only had the "PEPESR" strings on my guitar for a few days, and I'm really enjoying them. They're not big and bold like Hannabach 815, but they're warm, easy to listen to and easy on the fingers. These are HT nylon, but they feel like normal tension compared to other strings I've played.

They remind me of maybe La Bella 427, but in a much better version because they're thicker and have good intonation. They're lovely. I'd be curious to hear if anyone agrees or disagrees with me.

Some great strings feel a little wirey to me and most strings IMO have a metallic tone to them, but these don't as much. I really like them, but I also know that good strings have to stay likeable over the test of time, so we'll see how I feel about these after some time passes.

Two thumbs up so far, but that comes as no surprise as the Romero family is probably very serious about what they are willing to put their family name on.

MAK

Postby MAK » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:55 pm

gabasa,

Does the package of Pepe Romero HT strings have the total tension of the set written on the back? I'd like to try some different strings on my guitar, but I don't want to overdo the tension.

Also, I've read about the LaBella 427s, but wonder if they were replaced by a newer version and number. I can't seem to find them except on e - b a y.

Michele

Hotsoup

Postby Hotsoup » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:03 pm

MAK wrote:Also, I've read about the LaBella 427s, but wonder if they were replaced by a newer version and number. I can't seem to find them except on e - b a y.
You can find 427s at StringsByMail. There is also "Pacesetter Elite" in the 427 description, whatever that means. I've used them many times and like their overall tonality and feel (intonation is perfect on my guitar) but I've since grown to like other strings more, including the 2001s. I think I'll be trying Pepe's too.

MAK

Postby MAK » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:38 pm

Thanks, Hotsoup. There are so many types of strings and so many different names for them! I get overwhelmed when I think I want to try something different. This forum helps me a lot, since I don't change string brands very often.

I need a harder tension string, because I have a 610mm scale guitar. They should probably be about 85 to 89 total lbs. That's what the original strings are--EJ-46.

gabasa

Postby gabasa » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:20 am

Hi Michele,

I just checked the empty package and it doesn't say the total tension of the set, or the individual strings. If it means anything, these are easier to play than Hannabachs in normal tension, but I know that Hannabachs are thicker than their sets would suggest.

Maybe the following video or Pepe Romero Jr. may help you decide whether or not you might want to try these out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_lpEh0h8Z0

Let me know what you think. The Romeros seem quite happy with this set!

Gord

MAK

Postby MAK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:06 am

Gord,
Thanks for the link. I'll watch it tomorrow.

Brandon Walker

Postby Brandon Walker » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:08 pm

I've had a set on now for a couple of days. The GLOW set - low tension, intended for older instruments or flamenco. Clear nylon.

I like them. They are very crisp. The tension doesn't feel particularly low to me - I had Ambra 900 basses on before, with an Alliance G and Mari 200ph E & B. I am reserving judgement on the basses till they've settled in, but as a set, they are very playable, and 'clean' sounding. After one day I put the Alliance G back on, because I prefer the feel, and the two newer nylon trebles seem far louder than it.

I only found out about the 50-year-old formula PEPESR set after these arrived - it takes two weeks for an SBM deivery to Scotland - but after watching the description, I can't wait to try those next.

Brandon Walker

Postby Brandon Walker » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:34 am

Update: I LOVE them. :D

A real test for me is how much I want to play them, and I can't put the guitar down right now. I have two other guitars, but the one with the Pepe Romero strings is getting all the attention - enough said. :casque:

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”