Pepe Romero Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
joachim33

Re: Pepe Romero Strings

Post by joachim33 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:19 pm

es335 wrote:
Dave Stott wrote:... I probably confused things by injecting string diameter into my comment. What I'm trying to determine is the difference or similarity between the tensions in the Romero GCNM trebles and Alliance normal. SBM doesn't list tensions for the Romero's GNM ...
From personal experience with my guitar, NT Alliance trebles feel tighter than the GCNM trebles. Their smaller diameters will have an impact on this subjective feeling but considering the GCNM diameters, Nylon strings can never reach the tension figures published for the NT Alliance trebles.
Savarez published tension figures are all over the place - I assume, at some point they revised the product but not the documentation. I trust the figures published for the cantiga sets most: http://www.savarez.com/sites/default/fi ... 50x210.pdf

If you look, for Alliance Red trebles (510 AR) they publish tensions: 7.9 kg, 5.9 kg, 5.8 kg for (E1, B2, G3) vs high tension New Cristal nylons (510 CJ) are 7.8 kg, 5.8 kg and 5.7 kg. That is 100 g less for the nylons than the Alliance, which is in my view negligible.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks,

What I'm really looking for is the tension specifications on the Pepe Romero GCNM trebles. I haven't found them published anywhere.

Dave
joachim33 wrote:
es335 wrote:
Dave Stott wrote:... I probably confused things by injecting string diameter into my comment. What I'm trying to determine is the difference or similarity between the tensions in the Romero GCNM trebles and Alliance normal. SBM doesn't list tensions for the Romero's GNM ...
From personal experience with my guitar, NT Alliance trebles feel tighter than the GCNM trebles. Their smaller diameters will have an impact on this subjective feeling but considering the GCNM diameters, Nylon strings can never reach the tension figures published for the NT Alliance trebles.
Savarez published tension figures are all over the place - I assume, at some point they revised the product but not the documentation. I trust the figures published for the cantiga sets most: http://www.savarez.com/sites/default/fi ... 50x210.pdf

If you look, for Alliance Red trebles (510 AR) they publish tensions: 7.9 kg, 5.9 kg, 5.8 kg for (E1, B2, G3) vs high tension New Cristal nylons (510 CJ) are 7.8 kg, 5.8 kg and 5.7 kg. That is 100 g less for the nylons than the Alliance, which is in my view negligible.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

es335

Post by es335 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:54 pm

joachim33 wrote:... If you look, for Alliance Red trebles (510 AR) they publish tensions: 7.9 kg, 5.9 kg, 5.8 kg for (E1, B2, G3) vs high tension New Cristal nylons (510 CJ) are 7.8 kg, 5.8 kg and 5.7 kg. That is 100 g less for the nylons than the Alliance, which is in my view negligible.
Joachim, the diameters of the GCNM string are identical to the normal tension Cristals (CR)!
Their tensions are given as 7.2/5.5/5.6 kg which results in a difference of 1.3 kg which will be quite noticeable. :wink:
Even though this does not imply that CR and GCNM will feel identical but there will always remain a significant difference to Savarez AR.

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:02 pm

Dave Stott wrote:Thanks,

What I'm really looking for is the tension specifications on the Pepe Romero GCNM trebles. I haven't found them published anywhere.

Dave
joachim33 wrote:
es335 wrote: From personal experience with my guitar, NT Alliance trebles feel tighter than the GCNM trebles. Their smaller diameters will have an impact on this subjective feeling but considering the GCNM diameters, Nylon strings can never reach the tension figures published for the NT Alliance trebles.

Pepe Romero strings are made by E&O Mari, aka La Bella. Have you contacted them?
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:47 pm

es335 wrote:
joachim33 wrote:... If you look, for Alliance Red trebles (510 AR) they publish tensions: 7.9 kg, 5.9 kg, 5.8 kg for (E1, B2, G3) vs high tension New Cristal nylons (510 CJ) are 7.8 kg, 5.8 kg and 5.7 kg. That is 100 g less for the nylons than the Alliance, which is in my view negligible.
Joachim, the diameters of the GCNM string are identical to the normal tension Cristals (CR)!
Their tensions are given as 7.2/5.5/5.6 kg which results in a difference of 1.3 kg which will be quite noticeable. :wink:
Even though this does not imply that CR and GCNM will feel identical but there will always remain a significant difference to Savarez AR.
I am not following you any longer. I understood you claimed traditional nylon strings can not be made as tense as normal tension Alliance carbons. That the cj trebles are thicker is a different matter.

es335

Post by es335 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:11 pm

joachim33 wrote:...I am not following you any longer. I understood you claimed traditional nylon strings can not be made as tense as normal tension Alliance carbons. That the cj trebles are thicker is a different matter.
Apologies that I missed your point as I was still focused on the initial question about the tension difference between AR and CR. Your are of course right in the sense that the Savarez figures for CJ and AR are almost identical. The other question is how reliable these figures are.

Decamp member Ben Etow repeatedly stated that in his perception Pyramid carbon trebles are actually Savarez Alliance strings. The diameter figures support his suspicion because they are identical even though the tension figures 9.0/6.7/6.2 kg are completely different!

I don't claim who is right or wrong but this might help to understand why in case of doubt I always go for the diameter. Tensions figures are just for orientation IMHO!

Referring to my cited statement, I must admit that this might have been a bit exaggerated. My apologies if that caused any confusion! :wink:

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:25 pm

I must have missed Ben Etow's claim that Pyramid and Savarez trebles are the same. Personally, I rather doubt it. Firstly, the tension differences mentioned above even though the diameters are similar. Secondly, I understand Savarez strings are all made in France (can this be confirmed?) and Pyramid clearly label their strings made in Germany. Thirdly, in my view the Pyramid carbons are less bright than the Alliance.

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:41 pm

petermc61 wrote:I must have missed Ben Etow's claim that Pyramid and Savarez trebles are the same. Personally, I rather doubt it. Firstly, the tension differences mentioned above even though the diameters are similar. Secondly, I understand Savarez strings are all made in France (can this be confirmed?) and Pyramid clearly label their strings made in Germany. Thirdly, in my view the Pyramid carbons are less bright than the Alliance.

To your second point, all string manufacturers use suppliers for their nylon and carbon strings. Without putting too fine a point on it, you might be surprised at who's strings come from the same source.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Aaron Green wrote:
petermc61 wrote:I must have missed Ben Etow's claim that Pyramid and Savarez trebles are the same. Personally, I rather doubt it. Firstly, the tension differences mentioned above even though the diameters are similar. Secondly, I understand Savarez strings are all made in France (can this be confirmed?) and Pyramid clearly label their strings made in Germany. Thirdly, in my view the Pyramid carbons are less bright than the Alliance.

To your second point, all string manufacturers use suppliers for their nylon and carbon strings. Without putting too fine a point on it, you might be surprised at who's strings come from the same source.
I might be Aaron. But a statement that ALL string manufacturers use suppliers of treble strings implies that none make their own treble strings. I doubt you mean that. I suspect you meant to point out that they don't all make their own strings, which is what I would have expected. Even then, if string brand 'A' and string brand 'B' both get their carbon or nylon strings from the same OEM it does not mean the strings are specified the same.

Regards
Peter
(P.S. still waiting for the Bouchet birthday present to arrive. Did you keep the tracking number?)

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:42 am

Actually I'm pretty sure none of them formulate and extrude their own nylon. Making wound strings, that's another story although I think a few might not even do that. Same goes for carbon. Are there differences from one to the other? Yes certainly in some cases but that's not the same as having different sources. And in a few cases I'm told it more than that.

Oddly enough the Bouchet came back as "undeliverable". Apparently you weren't home when they tried to deliver and it was sent back "return to sender". Weird. :)
Aaron Green, Luthier

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:08 am

Aaron Green wrote: Oddly enough the Bouchet came back as "undeliverable". Apparently you weren't home when they tried to deliver and it was sent back "return to sender". Weird. :)
That's what happens when you pop out to do some shopping..... Oh well, next birthday try sending a Hauser I. If you let me know in advance I will make sure I stay home. :D

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:11 am

Will do. And the solid gold case it's in will make a great door stop. You know, just in case you don't have one already:)
Aaron Green, Luthier

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:36 am

Peter, please check the last post on this thread! viewtopic.php?t=110230&start=15. Actually I'm not convinced myself but have not used both for too long time to confirm or object!
Aaron Green wrote:Actually I'm pretty sure none of them formulate and extrude their own nylon. Making wound strings, that's another story although I think a few might not even do that. Same goes for carbon. Are there differences from one to the other? Yes certainly in some cases but that's not the same as having different sources. And in a few cases I'm told it more than that...
I do second this with at least one known exception, Aquila. Mimmo made the couragious decision to setup his oen extrsion line and has meanwhile introduced some very new and innovative approache for alterantive treble strings.

For most or all of the others, it would be a big surprise to hear that they do extrude their own carbon or nylon mono- or multifiliaments. The required technology is too different from their key competences, that I rather consider this an advantage If they would leave this job to highly specialize companies which guarantees consistant and reliable quality.

mike.janel

Post by mike.janel » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:39 am

I would like to jump back to the original thread for a sec.
After ordering a few sets of GCNM one after the other I find that:
A - I like the sound.
B - I like the playability.
C - I find them too expensive.
This is considering that they do not last long enough.
I find myself again having to use a D string of another set after just 5 weeks (I play less than 1 hour a day).
I would just wish they throw in another D for the same price.

Do you know any other brand that would blend well with that set?
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:24 pm

mike.janel wrote:I would like to jump back to the original thread for a sec.
After ordering a few sets of GCNM one after the other I find that:
A - I like the sound.
B - I like the playability.
C - I find them too expensive.
This is considering that they do not last long enough.
I find myself again having to use a D string of another set after just 5 weeks (I play less than 1 hour a day).
I would just wish they throw in another D for the same price.

Do you know any other brand that would blend well with that set?
Do you mean the d string starts breaking or starts losing tone?

Savarez Corum strings might pair well and I find them to last longer than any other brand except pure silver bass strings.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”