Pepe Romero Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
gabasa

Re: Pepe Romero Strings

Post by gabasa » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:03 am

Hi Brandon,

That's great to hear. I'm still loving the PEPESR strings!

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:26 pm

I have a set of those on the way. The descriptions given by Pepe Romero Snr AND Jnr made them too tempting to resist, especially after the GLOW set.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:26 pm

so which set do you love the PSPESR or the others?
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2001 Dominique Field(for sale)
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge( for sale)

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:53 am

I am still waiting on the PEPESR set arriving.

It's the GLOW ones that I said I loved.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:48 am

The description says the GLOW set is lighter tension and more for a vintage or Flamenco guitar. Does your instrument fit this description?
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2001 Dominique Field(for sale)
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge( for sale)

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:30 pm

No, I have fitted them to a walnut/cedar classical guitar. I chose them because I often use lighter tension strings, and I wasn't aware that the PEPESR set had a different formula nylon.

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:20 am

I have now had the PEPESR set on for a couple of days. (I did not use the G - I put a Knobloch med/high carbon G on with them.)

First off, these do not feel like high tension strings. I use lighter tension sets often, and these are a comfortable tension.

The trebles have a slightly milky appearance, unlike the GLOW set, which are crystal clear. When I first put the PEPSR set on, I could find nothing very different or remarkable, but I tightened them a bit and went to make some food, letting them settle into tension.

When I returned to pick up the guitar, I didn't put it down for a good while. The most striking thing about these strings is how PLAYABLE they are. They feel very comfortable under the fingers, especially noticable during passages that I usually find a bit sticky.

Another thing I noticed was that if I vary the depth of attack with the right hand, there is straight away a clear and very noticeable difference in the tone - it is very easy to produce sweeter sounds sounds amid a dynamically varied passage. I am surmising that this has something to do with the tacky quality which Pepe Romero, Snr. describes in one of the reviews.

Truthfully, I don't know if they stand up to the hopes I had for what was described as the classic, old world sound that everyine fell in love with all those years ago. However I am expecting the sound to develop as they mature, and I must admit that there is something appealing about their sound which I just can't put my finger on or describe.

And of course, they are delight to play.

lifewithasong

Post by lifewithasong » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:10 am

Brandon, I looked closely at your posts from above, and I am tending to agree with the things that you are saying about the PEPESR set.

I've had them on my guitar (a Torres-style instrument) for about 48 hours now, and I'm really, really enjoying them. I've had this guitar for a couple of months now, and have worked up from a few MT sets to a couple of MHT sets, and am starting to believe that maybe it likes HT strings best. But I'm really enjoying these Romero HT strings for now--as you say--I'm just enjoying playing my guitar so much more when I pick it up!

Greg
Esse quam videri

gabasa

Post by gabasa » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:22 am

Even though they are HT, they seem to have a very supple feel to them, much more more like MT to me. I like them!

MAK

Post by MAK » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:00 pm

I have a set of the PEPESR high tension and will probably put them on my custom 610 mm guitar this weekend or Monday. I'm hoping, since everyone says they don't feel like high tension, that they will still sound good on a short scale guitar.

I have two other sets to try. One is the La Bella 2001 HT and the other is Hannabach 815 LT. I have read, probably in a review on this forum, the Hannabach tensions run high. I did make sure all the string sets I bought have similar total tensions. I couldn't find the Pepe Romero tension charts, though.

gabasa

Post by gabasa » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:01 am

I love those Hannabachs. The basses and trebles sound amazing and they last long. Those La Bellas have great trebles!

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:31 pm

Just received PEPESR and GCNM yesterday. I'll look forward to stringing these up. Thanks for all the reviews, everyone. :casque:

MAK

Post by MAK » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:32 am

I now have had the PEPESR hard tension strings on my 610 guitar since Monday and I like them. I think my previous strings were old, even after only 4 months, and these sound better for at least that reason. I'll play them until I think I need to change them again and try the La Bella or Hannebachs next. I usually won't change strings often just to try different sets.

I'm no expert when it comes to sound quality, but I'd buy the PEPESR strings again if another set I try doesn't stand out. I actually like a bright sound and these are rather smooth and mellow, but nice. I may find some strings later on that may give me the brighter sound.

The only string I may try individually is the G string. I'll take other guitarist's recommendations on this forum when the time comes. And one day I'll try the Pyramid silver basses, too.

lifewithasong

Post by lifewithasong » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:31 pm

I'm just reporting in that I still have the PEPESR strings on my guitar after about three weeks now, and am really enjoying them!

Greg
Esse quam videri

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:07 pm

I'm using their GCNM set recently and am quite surprised about their balance and remarkable intonation.The trebles remind me quite a lot of their 10PH set but the gauges seem better balanced. Brighter than HB 815 but still warm sounding. The basses match very well and in particular A and E have a very distinct articulation.

Though advertized as normal tension they appear more as high tension to me. Compared to HB 815 SLT which are about par to EJ45 they are more than one step up. Nevertheless these are the first higher tension strings my guitar seem to accept without increased wolf tone symptom. :)

Even though they are most likely rather custom assembled than specially produced I do like them much better than the other La Bella strings I tried before! :wink:

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”