Pepe Romero Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
gabasa

Re: Pepe Romero Strings

Post by gabasa » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:34 pm

I'm not surprised that so many of us seem to like these strings. La Bella is no slouch in the string business and the Romeros wouldn't put their name on anything they don't really like. It seems like a great matchup!

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:12 pm

Based on the discussion here, i've got a medium tension set arriving tomorrow to go on my GVR. Should be interesting.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:31 pm

es335 wrote:I'm using their GCNM set recently and am quite surprised about their balance and remarkable intonation.The trebles remind me quite a lot of their 10PH set but the gauges seem better balanced. Brighter than HB 815 but still warm sounding. The basses match very well and in particular A and E have a very distinct articulation.

Though advertized as normal tension they appear more as high tension to me. Compared to HB 815 SLT which are about par to EJ45 they are more than one step up. Nevertheless these are the first higher tension strings my guitar seem to accept without increased wolf tone symptom. :)

Even though they are most likely rather custom assembled than specially produced I do like them much better than the other La Bella strings I tried before! :wink:
I've had GCNM on for a couple days now and agree with you about tension and sound of the trebles. For me it's the A and D strings that stand out, but the whole set projects quite nicely.

It's still early for me to post impressions, so I'll try to keep hammering on them for a while..

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:40 pm

Are these much different from the standard rectified trebles?

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Go my set of GCNM normal tension on Thursday (1 day early. Thank you SBM) and put them on my G.V. Rubio that night. So far, I love them!! I don't know the exact tension but they play with the feel of light tension strings. The trebles were the biggest surprise though. By far the best sounding trebles I've heard on this guitar in the almost 1 1/2 years I've owned it. Just beautiful tone and super playability. Also, I usually trade out the 3rd for a Galli Carbonio due to the typical tubbiness of the G. I tried the 3rd from the set and it sounds great. We'll see if that is still the case in 3 or 4 days....

It's only 2 days but I'm rapidly moving from skeptic to fan.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:42 am

mmapag wrote:... I don't know the exact tension but they play with the feel of light tension strings...
That's interesting to hear and makes me ask which kind of strings you used before, because even their gauges 0.73/0.86/1.04 mm indicate high tension?

The rest is of course fully compliant to my experiences and after 2 weeks I can report that this is well maintained! :D
Last edited by es335 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:42 am

Double post! :(

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:58 pm

es335 wrote:
mmapag wrote:... I don't know the exact tension but they play with the feel of light tension strings...
That's interesting to hear and makes me ask which kind of strings you used before, because even their gauges 0.73/0.86/1.04 mm indicate high tension?

The rest is of course fully compliant to my experiences and after 2 weeks I can report that this is well maintained! :D

Previously I was using Savarez Canitga basses and Augustine Classic trebles in medium tension. Interesting that you mention the diameters because visually, they look thicker. But feel of play, especially with the left hand, they feel softer. For example, Barres feel easier. Kind of a contradiction in info, I know.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:16 pm

That's quite strange but they might behave different on different guitars. Compared to Augustin Classics they with measures of 0.71/0.81/1.04 mm particularly e and b are significantly thicker! But they appear more balanced tension wise why it might feel more easy to play, something that had already been experienced with Hannabach strings! :wink:

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:07 am

es335 wrote:That's quite strange but they might behave different on different guitars. Compared to Augustin Classics they with measures of 0.71/0.81/1.04 mm particularly e and b are significantly thicker! But they appear more balanced tension wise why it might feel more easy to play, something that had already been experienced with Hannabach strings! :wink:
You could well be right! I have tried a lot of strings and the Cantiga/ Classic Black produces lovely tone on my spruce topped Esteve. The improvement on the GVR is noticeable, thus remarkable.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S

Cgplayer9

Post by Cgplayer9 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:42 pm

I put on a set of the PEPESR strings a couple of weeks ago and am really loving them on my Jose Ramirez 1a. For a high tension string, they feel really soft, and I find I can play a lot faster on these strings. Previously, I was leaning towards LaBella 850's as my string of choice. The Pepe Romero strings are a little warmer, which is my preference, but still clear, bell-like trebels.

jdart3000

Post by jdart3000 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:30 pm

mmapag wrote:Go my set of GCNM normal tension on Thursday (1 day early. Thank you SBM) and put them on my G.V. Rubio that night. So far, I love them!! I don't know the exact tension but they play with the feel of light tension strings. The trebles were the biggest surprise though. By far the best sounding trebles I've heard on this guitar in the almost 1 1/2 years I've owned it. Just beautiful tone and super playability. Also, I usually trade out the 3rd for a Galli Carbonio due to the typical tubbiness of the G. I tried the 3rd from the set and it sounds great. We'll see if that is still the case in 3 or 4 days....

It's only 2 days but I'm rapidly moving from skeptic to fan.
That's very encouraging to read. I've been on a constant search to match just the right strings to my 2012 GVR Estudio and these certainly seem worth a try. I just looked at the GSI interviews with Pepe Romero Sr. and Jr. so that piqued my curiosity.

Thanks to all for your comments and reviews.
John
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

daverkb

Post by daverkb » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:06 pm

PostFriday 22 July 2016, 06:20 am

The trebles have a slightly milky appearance, unlike the GLOW set, which are crystal clear. When I first put the PEPSR set on, I could find nothing very different or remarkable, but I tightened them a bit and went to make some food, letting them settle into tension.
I have just tried Aquila Alabastro and Ambra strings, which also have a milky appearance. Is there any sound similarity between the PEPESR and Nylgut Aquila trebles?

I am assuming that the Romero strings are quite different from regular La Bella string production as per the GSI video information. Is this your finding?

Matthew22

Post by Matthew22 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:03 am

Aquila Alabastro are made of "Nylgut" and the Pepe Romero PEPESR are made of a old recipe of nylon, so no, they sound not sound the same at all, but I have no tried the PEPESR yet, although I have ordered a set and will be extremely surprised if they sound anything like the Aquila.

bchi123

Post by bchi123 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:59 pm

I decided to try some of these strings as well. So far I've tried the GLOW set on one of my guitars, and the tension seems to be higher than what I've been playing previously, especially in the trebles when compared to the other sets I use (Galli Titanium Lows and LaBella 2001 Med/Hard). They also don't seem to be as dynamic, but they definitely sound good to me. Maybe they will sound better on my other guitar /or once they have been broken in alittle longer.

FWIW, I made a video so you can hear the sound of the strings (unedited but just added very light reverb). So far I like them!
link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgRx2hqwY0Q

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgRx2hqwY0Q[/youtube]
When words leave off, music begins. ~Heinrich Heine

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”