Pepe Romero Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
MessyTendon

Re: Pepe Romero Strings

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:46 pm

They sound very sweet. Don't let superficial brightness get in the way of warmth...I just wish they werent 13$ a pack...that's crazy for some special plastic.

jdart3000

Post by jdart3000 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:01 am

First impressions: I've had the PEPESR strings on my GVR Estudio spruce for just two days now. WOW - these are the strings this guitar has been waiting for. The balance is very even and the trebles are easy to control - subdued or emphasized, as necessary. Most surprising - the trebles sound like reverb. The whole guitar resonates. I've had this guitar for 4 yrs. and it's never sounded this good.

Hope they continue to sound this way in the coming weeks,
John
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:35 pm

After two week playing the low tension GLOW set, I would like to share my impressions. Compared to the normal tension GCNM strings their gauges differ not dramatically.

Just four strings are different: g (-0.02mm), d (+0.02mm), A (-0.02mm) and E (-0.05 mm) where only E deviates significantly.

Nevertheless their feel is surprisingly low compared to GCNM, which felt more like hard tension on my guitar. Opposed to this the feel of the GLOW set is very comfortable for both hands!

The exceptional good balance and intonation is similar to the GCNM, but the sound of the GLOW set differs more than the little gauge variations suggests.

First of all they need quite a while to develop their full sound potential as most low tension strings. The trebles are very sweet, warm and dynamic in the sense that they response very sensible to the intensity of the stroke. In addition, they are very colorful depending on the place of stroke. Both, dynamics and variety of colors are only real weak points of the GCNM trebles.

String separation and the top e string is less pronounced as with the GCNM, which implies that they might not be the best choice for a guitar with a weak top voice.

The real surprise were the basses. Wow, what a difference to the well contoured but tighter GCNM basses. Full bodied and with beautiful warmth. All to my surprise the most outstanding string is d. A tone which is warm and full bodied over the entire fretboard, similar to the Augustin Blue d but less tight.

So if your guitar is responsive, with a strong top voice and you're right hand likes to plays quite dynamic, these might be the strings for you. My follow-up order, two GLOW sets, has already arrived! In my case a perfect match, although I'm more cautious with such superlatives with the times. :wink: :D

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Any Pepe Romero string users that can give an update on their experience after several weeks/months?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:43 pm

I have had the PEPESR strings on for a month now. These are described as having the nylon string composition from the earlier days of nylon strings, I am not quite sure what that implies, but if it means that they are warm and bright but not overly shrill, they meet that qualification. They are quite lively and produce good separation in chords. The basses hold up well and have good definition, definitely leaning to what I would consider a Spanish sound. The second string has good clarity and pops out well in chords when needed. Third strings seems Ok for a nylon. I have only tried them on one guitar so far and have not yet had a chance to compare them against the other Romero string models. Note that only the PEPESR model has these particular trebles, they come as HT only, but don't feel particularly stiff to me.

brian

Post by brian » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:41 pm

I definitely want to try those
PEPESR. going rate is about $13 ?
any bulk purchase price breaks
anyone know about?
if at first you don't succeed try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:26 am

souldier wrote:Any Pepe Romero string users that can give an update on their experience after several weeks/months?
As noted above the low tension GLOW strings are my premier choice on my Kohno now and I can't see any reason to stop using them! Longer lasting than the average including basses and with all the above mentioned tonal qualities! They tighten over time but exhibit excellent pitch stability then, why I'm reluctant to replace them. Might try Aquila Perla next just out of curiosity but then three other Pepe Romero GLOW sets are waiting! :wink: :D

pksmith11

Post by pksmith11 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:31 pm

I've had the pepesr strings on for a few days now. I put them on about a month ago and they came off straight away. I almost always play carbon, and just couldn't get used to the thicker feel an slightly less sustain. But something told me to put them on a few days ago, and I have to say I'm really getting into them. I've been recording every couple of nights in preparation for an audition and some recitals, and I actually like the sound of the pepsr better than the carbon when listening back. The guitar sounds a little more balanced, whereas in the past the trebles somewhat overpowered the basses.

Like I said, I'm just getting used to thicker diameters again, but the feel of the individual tensions is very balanced, unlike almost any other string set I can think of. I usually have to mix and match to get a balanced feel. I think I really like the PEPESR strings. I'm not 100% certain whether I will stick with them or go back to carbon, but they are quite interesting and worth a try for string-sperimenters. I'm curious to hear more reactions from others, and I hope this thread will continue a while longer.

Also, the basses are great. They are bright and loud and last longer than d'addario for me. I emailed Pepe jr. a few days ago and he told me they will be selling bass sets in a couple months.

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:07 pm

pksmith11,

I've started using the PEPESR strings recently, and really love them. They have a wonderful, well-balanced sound, are easy to play, and work really well on my Ramirez 2NE. I plan to stick with these for the immediate future. They produce a full, clear sound with a warmth about them which is quite pleasing to the ear.

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

Taylor 25

Post by Taylor 25 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:43 pm

I have been using Pepe Romero's rectified HT strings and really do enjoy them. The sweetness and warmth of the trebles really do make the melodic line sing. At first, it was a little bit of an adjustment for me to get used to the feel of the rectifieds, but after a few days, I think that I may now actually prefer them. Already, I think I can safely say that these are among my favorites strings. In a little bit, I hope to compare them with the clear nylon version.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:13 pm

It would be good if the PEPESR set with the 'old nylon formulation' was available in a medium or low tension set. I'd try them if they were.

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:16 pm

Peter,
You may want to try the GLOW set. They are low tension and very nice.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:20 pm

mmapag wrote:Peter,
You may want to try the GLOW set. They are low tension and very nice.
Thanks. I may well do that.

It was the older formulation nylon I was most intrigued about though and they only seem to be in PEPESR.

Do they publish the tension on all the sets somewhere? I haven't seen anything yet.

Peter

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:35 pm

I haven't seen that either. The GLOW set feels like other LaBella low tension sets I've played. And they produce quite lovely tone on my Esteve.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

gabasa

Post by gabasa » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:26 am

petermc61 wrote:It would be good if the PEPESR set with the 'old nylon formulation' was available in a medium or low tension set. I'd try them if they were.
Hi Peter, you may still want to try them. They are very playable and easier on the fingertips than their tension would suggest.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”