Pepe Romero Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
astro64

Re: Pepe Romero Strings

Post by astro64 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:07 am

gabasa wrote:
petermc61 wrote:It would be good if the PEPESR set with the 'old nylon formulation' was available in a medium or low tension set. I'd try them if they were.
Hi Peter, you may still want to try them. They are very playable and easier on the fingertips than their tension would suggest.
I agree with that. They are also quite lush for an HT string. But the strings did emphasize some notes on the guitar I tried them on that not all nylon strings do (a more metallic sound on open B, and A-B on the 3rd string, which was similar to what a titanium treble produced on that guitar (and more typical of a LT string than a HT string). Overall, they were better sounding than J45 Titanium, as I recall). So, a very lively string set which will surely work very well on many instruments but less "smooth" in sound than strings like Hannabach 815 or D'Addario J46s.

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:45 pm

As to Peter's concerns regarding tension, I have preferred lower tension strings myself, and I "took a chance" on the PEPESR just to see if I could tolerate them. I was pleasantly surprised that they were easy for me to manage, seemed supple and flexible, and didn't give the impression of high tension strings when it came to playability. Just my 2 cents after using these for a few months. Peter, I'm guessing you'd be OK with them tension-wise, and that they might be worth a try for you. The sound is wonderful!

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

es335

Post by es335 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:02 pm

Peter, regarding the tension, the GLOW set isn't really low tension. Particularly the trebles feel quite tight but are very well balanced, which makes them quite comfortable to play.

The only direct comparison I have are the normal tension GCNM where only the basses feel tighter. The trebles are almost indentical in feel and gauge!

I recently play Aquila Perla NT strings which you might know and these are almost two steps down in tension. Nice string though where you hardly recognize that the trebles are ground Nylons. Very well done with very, very little texture.

jnbrown

Post by jnbrown » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:36 am

I would like to try the PEPESR strings but wonder if they have any similarities to other strings made by LaBella such as 2001 or 820.
I have tried both of those and didn't like either one.
My current favorite are Hannabach 815LT

Thanks

astro64

Post by astro64 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:05 am

jnbrown wrote:I would like to try the PEPESR strings but wonder if they have any similarities to other strings made by LaBella such as 2001 or 820.
I have tried both of those and didn't like either one.
My current favorite are Hannabach 815LT

Thanks
I don't know the Labella strings you mention, but I do think the 815LT is a different string from the PEPESR. The latter is much more lively and lush, I found the Hannabach 815LT to be solid, clean, leaning towards neutral. The PEPESR are more colorful and more spanish in the bass sound, i.e. more bite and "rumble" to the sound. That was on a Greg Byers cedar top instrument. And it was a one-try experiment only so far, the strings were on the instrument at least for a few weeks before switching.

jdart3000

Post by jdart3000 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Just a follow-up comment on the PEPESR strings I've been using. I agree with the above comments that they do not feel at all like HT strings. They are indeed very lush and lively. There's a richness that I haven't experienced with other strings. And strangely they seem to improve over time. I now have had a set on my Rubio and there's a new sweetness in the trebles. Overall the guitar seems to vibrate more freely. I do enjoy the balance across these strings. The 3rd string does not have the usual nylon tubbiness. I believe their $13 cost is offset by their increased lifespan. So far, so good. Thank you Pepe. Thank you LaBella.
John
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

Feynman

Post by Feynman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Looks like it's time for another SBM order. Thanks, enablers.
-mitch

jdart3000

Post by jdart3000 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:09 pm

Whoops - I need to fix my own posting here . . .

"I now have had a set on my Rubio FOR OVER A MONTH and there's a new sweetness in the trebles."

It's rare (in my experience) for strings to get even better with age, but that's what seems to be happening here.
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:41 am

jdart3000 wrote:Whoops - I need to fix my own posting here . . .

"I now have had a set on my Rubio FOR OVER A MONTH and there's a new sweetness in the trebles."

It's rare (in my experience) for strings to get even better with age, but that's what seems to be happening here.
I experienced this also. My Rubio has had them on for about 3 months now and they are now starting to go downhill. I will change soon. It is about 2 weeks for the GLOW set on my Esteve and they seem to just get better. Could be that I'm figuring out how to get the best out of them also.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:42 am

Feynman wrote:Looks like it's time for another SBM order. Thanks, enablers.
:lol: You're welcome!
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

pksmith11

Post by pksmith11 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Any thoughts on how the PEPESR trebles compare to Augustine imperial/regal?

jdart3000

Post by jdart3000 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:15 am

On my Rubio there's a big difference. Augustine Regals are nowhere near as even as the PEPESR across the strings. The Regal trebles are bright whereas the PEPESR trebles have a rich warmth. Also, I've had some intonation issues with Augustine strings in the past.

About two weeks ago I put a set of Augustine Regal strings on my Alhambra 4P (I had one set in my string box and I've been trying to pare down my inventory of random strings). They started out VERY rich and resonant, but after about a week, they have become very uneven from bass to treble. The trebles just lost their punch. I have tried Imperials in the past, too, and they always seemed unexceptional. I know many on this forum swear by Augustine strings and their Imperial trebles and I apologize if I have hurt anyone's feelings, but this has been my experience.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:38 am

In my experience, the Imperials and more so the Regals are less lush sounding, clean and full but not so colorful. Still a very good string. I should also note that the guitar makes a big difference. Some guitars really like a neutral string, especially if the instrument itself is colorful and rich sounding. For those the PEPESR (and also something like the Aranjuez Suave) may produce some notes that are different in color (e.g. too metallic) and then the instrument becomes a bit harder to control since you have to adjust the right hand for those few notes even if you like the sound of other notes. For me this can happen e.g. on the lower frets of the 3rd string. Bottom line, differences do occur, experiences from one person (and instrument) may not translate the same way to another. That's what keeps the string manufacturers in business...

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:45 pm

I liked a set of Augustine Imperial blues on a guitar I once owned. But I didn't like them for my Frieson... overly high tension that made the guitar sound choked and overly bright. The imperials are listed as normal tension, but the numbers point toward high tension. When comparing and assessing strings it is really important to remember that some strings just don't have synergy with certain guitars. I've also found that guitars are temperamental and can often change in sound, and this change we sometimes wrongfully attribute to the strings.

I have a set of PEPSR that I will eventually put on in the coming months and I'll report what my impressions are whether good or bad. I have to be really impressed with them and they need to have longer life to justify the cost.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

pksmith11

Post by pksmith11 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:39 pm

If you're using PEPESR and go through several sets of basses per treble set, I've found that the savarez Corum hard tension basses pair extremely well with the pepesr trebles. They both share a certain springiness and rich dynamic tone that is a perfect match (on my guitar at least.)

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”