Pepe Romero Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Hotsoup

Re: Pepe Romero Strings

Post by Hotsoup » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Looks like SBM has half-sets up for sale now. They're labelled by tension, so I'm assuming "hard" would be the same basses in PEPESR, etc?

hilm3g

Post by hilm3g » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:58 pm

As a point of reference, I measured my set of Pepe Romero GCNM (Clear Nylon, Medium Tension). 1st to 6th.
.028-.033-.048-.030-.036-.043

Pays to note the different materials in the Romero Strings. The PEPESR set is hard tension "old formula" nylon. The GCNM set is normal tension "modern formula" nylon.

I did not care for the PEPESR strings, but really like the GLOW set and the Rectified GRNM set. I am very happy right now with the GCNM on my spruce and the GRNM on my cedar.

es335

Post by es335 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:12 am

hilm3g wrote:As a point of reference, I measured my set of Pepe Romero GCNM (Clear Nylon, Medium Tension). 1st to 6th.
.028-.033-.048-.030-.036-.043- ...
Are you sure about the value for the G string? Never came across a G string beyond 0.045" resp. of 1.22 mm!?
Anyway the GLOW set seems to become my long term favorit as well. :D

Pede

Post by Pede » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks kertsopoulos for explanation, I will try like that.
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:33 pm

Pede wrote:Thanks kertsopoulos for explanation, I will try like that.
You are welcome Pede, all best!

harryf

Post by harryf » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:23 am

I have been using the PEPESR strings for several weeks now. I had reported earlier that the diameters I measured were more in line with low or medium tension strings from other makers. I would say that in spite of that they actually feel like higher tension strings. As somebody previously noted, the string material may make a difference. After trying these strings out, I would have to agree.
Teodoro Perez "Madrid" SP/IN

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Had the PEPSR on for 2 days now. It is too early to make an assessment on tone, but I can confirm that they do feel a bit higher tension than the D'addario EJ45's I had on before these. They are not crystal clear but are slightly opaque. They have a very quiet string noise similar to rectified strings but almost unnoticeable. So definitely these are made with a unique formula or with a unique manufacturing process. I've also noticed some very thin shreds coming off the trebles, which is a bit concerning since they are brand new.

I'll report back in a week on my impressions of the tone. But initially I honestly don't find the tone any more interesting than the EJ45's. EJ45's are not my string of choice but I happened to have them on my guitar since a luthier strung my guitar with them after doing some work on it.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:30 pm

Had the PEPSRs on for 20 days now. They get the job done but I don't find them to be particularly special in any way in terms of tone. I don't think they sound any better than any of the previous strings I've put on this guitar. I'll keep them on for a few more weeks to see if anything changes. If nothing changes, I really can't justify the $13 price tag.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:04 pm

I've trialed the PEPESR on both my New World guitar and my Ganz, for about 27 days now. They did almost nothing for me on the New World guitar, while on the Ganz they're wonderful. On that guitar (Spruce/HonduranRW Hauser) they project beautifully, both bass and treble, and are fun to play. They've already made the "best sets" list for it. If I had to get picky, the D-string sounds a tiny bit "hollow" and the G-string is almost too warm (not "tubby", just a little on the dull side). I'll be buying these again for more comparisons, for sure.

hilm3g

Post by hilm3g » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:30 pm

es335 wrote:
hilm3g wrote:As a point of reference, I measured my set of Pepe Romero GCNM (Clear Nylon, Medium Tension). 1st to 6th.
.028-.033-.048-.030-.036-.043- ...
Are you sure about the value for the G string? Never came across a G string beyond 0.045" resp. of 1.22 mm!?
Anyway the GLOW set seems to become my long term favorit as well. :D
You are correct. 0.043 not 0.048. Typo.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:20 pm

I've become disillusioned with the sound out of the Savarez Alliance trebles lately. I'm looking for something a little warmer.

The Romero Trebles diameter's seem to run .029, .033 & .041. Whereas as the Savarez Alliance are .024, .027 & .033 . But I haven't been able to compare tensions. Are the tension's between trebles on the GCNM and the Alliance normal's similar?

My thought is to pair the Pepe Romero GCNM trebles with the Savarez Cantiga normal tension basses.

thanks
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Dave Stott wrote:I've become disillusioned with the sound out of the Savarez Alliance trebles lately. I'm looking for something a little warmer.

The Romero Trebles diameter's seem to run .029, .033 & .041. Whereas as the Savarez Alliance are .024, .027 & .033 . But I haven't been able to compare tensions. Are the tension's between trebles on the GCNM and the Alliance normal's similar?

My thought is to pair the Pepe Romero GCNM trebles with the Savarez Cantiga normal tension basses.

thanks
You can't really compare tensions between the two based on string diameter simply because Alliance trebles are carbon will the romeros are nylon. Carbon strings somehow are very thin while having even higher tension than nylon.

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Dave Stott wrote:I've become disillusioned with the sound out of the Savarez Alliance trebles lately. I'm looking for something a little warmer.

thanks
That would be a good pairing. However, I find the Romero basses to be quite nice. Previously, Savarez Cantina was my bass string of choice.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks Souldier

I probably confused things by injecting string diameter into my comment. What I'm trying to determine is the difference or similarity between the tensions in the Romero GCNM trebles and Alliance normal. SBM doesn't list tensions for the Romero's GNM.

Dave

souldier wrote:

thanks
You can't really compare tensions between the two based on string diameter simply because Alliance trebles are carbon will the romeros are nylon. Carbon strings somehow are very thin while having even higher tension than nylon.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

es335

Post by es335 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:37 am

Dave Stott wrote:... I probably confused things by injecting string diameter into my comment. What I'm trying to determine is the difference or similarity between the tensions in the Romero GCNM trebles and Alliance normal. SBM doesn't list tensions for the Romero's GNM ...
From personal experience with my guitar, NT Alliance trebles feel tighter than the GCNM trebles. Their smaller diameters will have an impact on this subjective feeling but considering the GCNM diameters, Nylon strings can never reach the tension figures published for the NT Alliance trebles.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”