Pyramid sterling silver

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
vigmostad

Pyramid sterling silver

Post by vigmostad » Mon May 09, 2016 10:57 pm

I have recently discovered the Pyramid sterlng silver carbons. The basses are very satisfying on my guitar (Alhambra linea professional cedar). After searching the forum I see that I am not the only one. However, I would like to try out some other trebles (the e and b) more on the sweet/warm side if such exist. So far I have tried the basses paired with Savarez HT, D'addario exp, ej45 and carbons and Hannabach Goldin, all either medium/strong tension. May I ask for other suggestions for trebles to pair with the basses?

petermc61

Re: Pyramid sterling silver

Post by petermc61 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:20 pm

They are indeed fine strings.

I don't normally use the b and e from Pyramid as a general rule I don't like carbons for these strings. If you want a slightly sweeter carbon try the Knobloch medium tension which should still pair with the other four Pyramid strings.

If you want to get away from carbon but still have some brightness then maybe consider Dogal Diamsnte Strong. Amongst the nylon strings I absolutely love the Mari 100p trebles with the Pyramids.

Peter

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon May 09, 2016 11:45 pm

As a result of Peter's recommendations in a previous thread I have ordered the Pyramid Sterling Silver Carbon (as well as the Nylon, just to see) together with Mari 100p trebles (as well as the Mari 100pl trebles, just to see) and Augustine Imperials (for the trebles), I also ordered the Knobloch Medium Carbon set.

So I have a lot of testing to do - the only thing is that I really don't enjoy the hassle of changing strings.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue May 10, 2016 12:45 am

JohnB wrote:As a result of Peter's recommendations in a previous thread I have ordered the Pyramid Sterling Silver Carbon (as well as the Nylon, just to see) together with Mari 100p trebles (as well as the Mari 100pl trebles, just to see) and Augustine Imperials (for the trebles), I also ordered the Knobloch Medium Carbon set.

So I have a lot of testing to do - the only thing is that I really don't enjoy the hassle of changing strings.
Looking forward to your findings!

Some suggestions as you test different strings is to leave the strings on for at least 3 days before drawing any conclusions. There are certain strings I think sound horrendous in the first two days, then become one of my favorites on the third. Then strings can actually change quite a bit after that. It's also good to change only trebles or basses separately rather than at the same time as they can influence your perception of either.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

vigmostad

Post by vigmostad » Tue May 10, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks a lot for your suggestions petermc61. From what I have read on this forum your views when it comes to strings seem to be highly appreciated. I will certainly try the trebles you mention. I have not tried any of those before. To John B: I don´t think changing strings is a hassle. On the contrary I think it is exciting!

Per

vigmostad

Post by vigmostad » Tue May 10, 2016 9:12 pm

Just ordered the Mari 100p. Shipping to Norway was $14 (!).

vigmostad

Post by vigmostad » Tue May 10, 2016 9:16 pm

Petermc61: Did you mean the Knobloch actives sterling silver or the ones called actives carbons?

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue May 10, 2016 9:30 pm

Do not touch the Knobloch Active Sterling Silver basses because your fingers will burn. The trebles are the same for both kinds.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:02 pm

vigmostad wrote:Petermc61: Did you mean the Knobloch actives sterling silver or the ones called actives carbons?
The Sterling Silver bass strings I use are Pyramid. Best bass strings around in my view. Their carbon trebles are very good but not quite as good in my view as the Knobloch.

Generally I buy Knobloch trebles as treble sets or alone (eg G strings in bulk). If you want to (or have to, from your supplier) buy a complete set then buy the Double Silver basses from Knobloch. They will be labelled 'C.X. Actives, Knobloch, ACTIVES, Double Silver'. I think their set number is 300CX in medium tension (my preferred).

Given the Pyramid Sterling Silver and Knobloch Double Silver are both very, very good sets of strings, if you want to buy a complete set from one supplier buy the Pyramid if getting the best basses available is most important to you or the Knobloch if getting the best (sweetest) carbon trebles is more important.

Regards
Peter

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Tue May 10, 2016 11:26 pm

As always, very interesting and very helpful, Peter.

I have some Knobloch CX Actives (as well as other strings) on order so will be interested to try them out.

One thing I have been wondering about is whether or not it is a good idea to remove a set of strings that is fairly new and then use them again at a later date (e.g. when trying out various sets of strings).

(I have

vigmostad

Post by vigmostad » Tue May 10, 2016 11:32 pm

This forum is amazing. Thanks again Peter and to bascidoan for the clarification!

All the best from Oslo, Norway

Per

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue May 10, 2016 11:55 pm

JohnB wrote:One thing I have been wondering about is whether or not it is a good idea to remove a set of strings that is fairly new and then use them again at a later date (e.g. when trying out various sets of strings).
I have done this before, but I have found it might kill strings faster since the package is already opened and the strings are already stretched out and they probably don't sound their best either. With the way I string up my guitar these days it's very hard to reuse them unless I don't cut the excess, which can be annoying and cause unnecessary buzz.

Its probably good to either reuse old strings on a secondary guitar, or enjoy them and wear them out until they're dead then throw them in the trash to get your money's worth. Or use them long enough to know how they truly sound then reuse the old ones and stock up on the ones you plan to settle with as your go-to string.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed May 11, 2016 7:48 am

Can't really see too much of a problem. All that will happen is that the wound strings will oxidise in storage. It might knock a bit of the ringy edge off brand new strings but there's no reason why they can't be reused. It's not as though any gunk is going to get trapped under and between the windings, which is what happens when a wound string is played.
Historicalguitars.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed May 11, 2016 1:14 pm

If the wound strings oxidise in storage then, presumably, putting them in resealable plastic bags (e.g. small freezer bags, or even small food containers which have seals) might slow down the process.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed May 11, 2016 1:51 pm

It will slow it down, especially if you can exclude as much air as possible. It may also be why some string manufacturers have moved to the sealed plastic sleeves. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. If you use them within 6 months or so it's not going to make a great deal of difference.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”