Pyramid sterling silver

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Re: Pyramid sterling silver

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:51 am

petermc61 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:59 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:35 pm
I might try a set of pyramid. I played an aquantence's Hauser I that had pure silver basses. They had a very distinct sound, but not as deep as I would have liked. I don't know what brand they were. They may have been new as I noticed no wear on the windings.

Are the Pyramid sterling silver or Knobloch double silver merely plated, or are the windings actually silver?
From my experience the Sterling silver strings don't show a great deal of fret wear or corrosion and seem to last a lot longer than other strings.

The strings you mention hearing could have been La Bella Argento. They are very pure and refined but lack power and weight in my view. Of course, you can't ascribe the sound you heard to the strings as it could very well have been the guitar instead or as well.

The Silver and Sterling Silver tags refer to the plating material not the core metal of the wire or the former material.
Are they copper wound, or Bronze? I was going to try an Argento, but now I wont. And you are absolutely right about the fact it could have been the guitar. My Ramirez 4NE sounded miles better. That Hauser didn't project well. What set pyramid sterling silver would have tension similar to medium tension Ramirez strings?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:56 am

I don't know whether copper or bronze or something else, because it doesn't really matter to me. I go by sound and feel only. The rest is largely irrelevant.

I haven't compared the tension to Ramirez either by specs or thinking greatly about it. From memory the mediums of both feel fairly relaxed for both hands, how I like it.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:45 am

Thanks,
Scott

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:06 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:11 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:11 am
Thanks for the info Peter. I'd like to try a set. What tension pyramid should I Use? I am currently using medium tension.
That's a bit of a personal thing. I use medium for both Pyramid Sterling Silver and Knobloch Double Silver. I have never been a fan of high tension strings.
Thanks Peter, I will give the Pyramid a try with the Mari 100p.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”