Aquila Zaffiro Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Leo

Aquila Zaffiro Strings

Post by Leo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:38 pm

Just installed some Zaffiro strings by Aquila and they sound good. They are advertised as being as close to the sound of carbon strings without being carbon. This sounds about right to me, the trebles seem to be a bit louder than any nylon strings I have tried, and brighter than most nylons. This works for me, since I have a spruce top guitar that needs help in this area. What I don't like about carbon strings is the thinness of the sound, and the thinness and high tension of the strings, but they do have a bright and loud sounding quality.

The Zaffiro seem to intonate well, and so far, sounding very good. Bass strings are the supernylgut.

I think they are a good alternative to carbon strings. :wink:

Brandon Walker

Re: Aquila Zaffiro Strings

Post by Brandon Walker » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:14 pm

I quite like them as well. I didn't have them installed long enough to appreciate them fully, but I liked the feel of them - I put them on a spruce top guitar which feels stiff with certain trebles, but these felt OK.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:41 am

They do have a nice sweet sound. They feel soft and easy on the hands, more supple in feel than traditional nylons. They do not sound thin at all, really warm and bright.

I would recommend these strings to somebody who is accustomed to standard D Addario EJ45/EJ46 strings. The medium tension is very light on the hands, easy to play. Tone is bright and warm. The nylgut basses are bright from the start but mellow out after much playing. What I like about the basses is that retain responsiveness...Although less bright than when new, they still have dynamics.

Leo

Post by Leo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:07 am

Yes, the bass strings do seem to last a long time. What I like about the treble strings is that they have very good volume like the alabastro nylgut trebles, but seem to be brighter in sound, in particular the high e string.

Dyingsea

Post by Dyingsea » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:18 pm

Looking at these strings a bit, do they feel similar in tension to EJ45's? Maybe better on a slightly longer scale instrument 650+? Per their website diameters they seem a bit smaller in diameter than standard nylon but no tension measurements.

Leo

Post by Leo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:25 am

Diameter may be smaller, but they seem to be a little bit harder in tension than EJ 45's, from what I remember. The density is is more than nylon but less than carbon.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:38 am

Typically I have found that Aquila trebles are firm and stiffer when new, but stretch and stretch. A set of trebles in my experience outlasts the basses, typically 2 sets of trebles per one set of basses.

Dyingsea

Post by Dyingsea » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:30 pm

Everyone still liking these strings? I still haven't pulled the trigger mostly cause the string tension seems pretty darn heavy at 98lbs. Anytime I see strings hit the high 90's in tension I hesitate for fear of it being a bit too much for my guitar to handle whether that fear is unfounded or not.

Leo

Post by Leo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:53 pm

My favorite. The tension does not seem bad to me, and they feel much less tense than carbon strings. The trebles have a brightness and loudness that I have not found on any nylon type of string that I have tried, this is helpful for one of my guitars that is bass heavy. I have noticed that the G and E are bright and well balanced with the B string, I have had balance problems with other brands of strings. :wink:

Dyingsea

Post by Dyingsea » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:32 am

Anyone still playing Zaffiro over Alabastros? You still dont hear much about these strings.

Leo

Post by Leo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:44 am

Try them and see if you like them, I also like the Cristallo, and I am about to try out the Ambra strings. :wink:

jnbrown

Post by jnbrown » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:50 pm

I just put on some Cristallo stings a few days ago and really like them. Very bright with a lot of nice overtones without the carbon sound. I even replaced my Alliance G string. I also notice a long sustain which I thought isn't desired for flamenco but it doesn't seem to hurt. Playabilty and tension are also good. I did have a problem with the high E string buzzing really bad playing it open, I put a thin shim under the nut and that solved the problem. I have not had that problem with other strings so these must vibrate more. I have tried quite a lot of strings and I was going to try Mari 100P but these seem to be similar according to what I hear and were less money. So I think I finally have found my ultimate set of strings, Cristallo trebles and Pyramid sterling silver basses.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”