Pyramid Sterling a different opinion

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
MessyTendon

Pyramid Sterling a different opinion

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:57 pm

A forum member sent me his strings with about 4 hours of play on them according to him. The strings arrived fresh as daisies and looked like new. I strung up.

To my surprise...nothing remarkable, just another set of strings. The cost of three basses is the same as three full sets of D Addario Pro Arte strings. I can't buy the argument that they last three times as long because, half a set of strings lasting three times as long is sort of moot point.

The bottom line for me is these are high end boutique strings where the end user might feel satisfied and each guitar responds different. Personally I'm seeing some qualities of sound which are understandably appreciated. They are warm and percussive strings, that's what they do, as basses they pack some thump.

If you were wanting a brighter sparkling bass these would be a big let down in price. They are not bright, rather warm and neutral sounding which to my ears is a lot like the EJ45/EJ46 sets of strings.

For those who love and adore these strings, I can see your perspective of the relative tonalities of these strings. But for the budget conscious and consumer minded person, these strings will likely be a major let down.

The wire wrap is tighter and harder than conventional wrap. It should in theory wear better, and to my limited playing time, it does show less tarnish and wear marks. However, a bass string is going to wear in the winding one way or another.

I personally do not feel these strings live up to the hype. Different strings for different folks. It's nice that these strings are working out so well for some, but if they don't work for you, I wouldn't feel too bad.

petermc61

Re: Pyramid Sterling a different opinion

Post by petermc61 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:40 pm

Hi Messy

Thanks for your review. I suspect they just don't work on your guitar. I have tried these strings on over 10 instruments and have some difficultly reconciling my experience with yours. To my ears they do have sparkle, and a fair bit of it, coupled with warmth and power. I don't know why you are not getting that effect on your guitar, but so be it. If you change instrument maybe try them again in future.

In relation to your comment about their value, I have to disagree (in part). If the strings work on a guitar then they do represent value because they last much longer than EJ45, at least three times as long. So the user can enjoy the experience at a fair 'per hour' price. However, as in your case, if the string does not work on a given guitar or does not suit a players taste or playing style then clearly the value proposition does not work at all.

All the best
Peter

mando48

Post by mando48 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:59 am

I agree with this review. ..very unremarkable strings!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:14 pm

petermc61 wrote:Hi Messy

Thanks for your review. I suspect they just don't work on your guitar. I have tried these strings on over 10 instruments and have some difficultly reconciling my experience with yours. To my ears they do have sparkle, and a fair bit of it, coupled with warmth and power. I don't know why you are not getting that effect on your guitar, but so be it. If you change instrument maybe try them again in future.

In relation to your comment about their value, I have to disagree (in part). If the strings work on a guitar then they do represent value because they last much longer than EJ45, at least three times as long. So the user can enjoy the experience at a fair 'per hour' price. However, as in your case, if the string does not work on a given guitar or does not suit a players taste or playing style then clearly the value proposition does not work at all.

All the best
Peter
I have come to the same conclusions about Pyramid strings. I have not had one single issue or disappointment with them. I do understand that each guitar responds differently and perhaps the guitar aforementioned just isn't suited for Pyramids.
Best,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:52 am

petermc61 wrote: Thanks for your review. I suspect they just don't work on your guitar. I have tried these strings on over 10 instruments and have some difficultly reconciling my experience with yours. To my ears they do have sparkle, and a fair bit of it, coupled with warmth and power. I don't know why you are not getting that effect on your guitar, but so be it. If you change instrument maybe try them again in future.
Peter, you do use MT basses, don't you? I did once try the HT set and thought they were extremely high tension strings. As to the basses, the most compariable strings would be the Hannabach 815 SHT or XHT (super or extra high tension, can't remember). I remember not liking them at all, but I tried them on a Paco Marín - extremely bright sounding and tense, even more so with the very high action I played with at the time...
MT basses should feel less tense/stiff, but I guess more than virtually all MT's from other brands.

How would you describe yours compared to Hannabach 815 HT for instance? I guess they sound brighter, but I am not sure.

Thanks.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:20 am

Ben

I can't comment on Hannabach SHT or XHT as I am not a masochist and thus have not tried them.

I have only used the medium tension Pyramids and their tension did not surprise me, which given I am generally intolerant of higher tension strings, means that did not strike me as particularly high in tension. I also don't worry much about measured tensions, it's more how strings feel under the fingers.

All the best
Peter

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:19 pm

Ben, I might be able to comment on the tension comparison between Hannabach and Pryramid Sterling Silver MT. On my 664 mm scale Yairi Pyramid MT basses feel softer than Hannabach LT basses and there are two steps up to the HT basses you asked for. On my guitars Pyramid basses feel rather like typical MT than HT which of course might be different on other guitars!?

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:26 pm

I tried the pyramid sterling MT basses on two very different guitars and on both these strings felt nice and pliant, not overly stiff at all. They also sounded superior to my other go-to bass strings on both guitars but not by a large margin. I also feel they were particularly long lasting. I unfortunately had to remove them prematurely because I had to do some work on the guitar. The next time I try them, I'll keep them on until they are dead so I can really comment on their longevity. The longest I kept them on my guitar was over a month, and they sounded just as good as the first week I put on them, and that was with playing several hours a day, 6-7 days a week. If I can get them to last even longer, I'd say they are worth the price, because you get to enjoy slightly superior tone for longer (assuming these sound good to you/on your guitar), without the hassle of changing strings as frequently.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Moje

Post by Moje » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:01 am

I tried the SS Pyramids and was seriously underwhelmed . . . they started out dead, and remained dead 'till I replaced them. How I wish Elixir would produce a set of Phosphor Bronze with Nanoweb coating. My steel-string basses last months.
2014 Michael Thames 650mm Cedar & IRW
1976 No. 10 Sakurai 660mm Spruce & IRW

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:30 am

Moje wrote:... How I wish Elixir would produce a set of Phosphor Bronze with Nanoweb coating. My steel-string basses last months.
You should try the Aranjuez Suave basses! They are not Nanoweb but silver coated! Very nice and long lasting basses with Phosphore Bronze winding! :wink:

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:39 pm

petermc61 wrote:Ben

I can't comment on Hannabach SHT or XHT as I am not a masochist and thus have not tried them.

I have only used the medium tension Pyramids and their tension did not surprise me, which given I am generally intolerant of higher tension strings, means that did not strike me as particularly high in tension. I also don't worry much about measured tensions, it's more how strings feel under the fingers.

All the best
Peter
Thanks, Peter.

I don't measure the tensions either. And I only use the Hannabach XHT for the 6th ont a guitar used for great scordaturas (up to A!) - so you see, no masochism at all.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:40 pm

es335 wrote:Ben, I might be able to comment on the tension comparison between Hannabach and Pryramid Sterling Silver MT. On my 664 mm scale Yairi Pyramid MT basses feel softer than Hannabach LT basses and there are two steps up to the HT basses you asked for. On my guitars Pyramid basses feel rather like typical MT than HT which of course might be different on other guitars!?
Well, I guess I don't remember correctly then. And it was on a very tense Paco Marín with a very high action...
Thanks.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:46 am

I'm starting to like these strings :) But I'm still not paying 18 bucks...I strung them with Aquila Perla, a relatively soft sound string. The basses and trebles have good synergy.

I am missing the nylgut bass and treble brightness. But my thumbs are digging the low E wallop.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:28 am

Messy

The Pyramid Sterling Silver/Alabastro is a combination I have used successfully. Worth giving it a go.

Peter

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:38 am

MessyTendon wrote:I'm starting to like these strings :) But I'm still not paying 18 bucks...I strung them with Aquila Perla, a relatively soft sound string. The basses and trebles have good synergy.

I am missing the nylgut bass and treble brightness. But my thumbs are digging the low E wallop.
Think of it this way:

Let's say that a set of those strings gives you good sound for 3 months or 90 days. This only amounts to 20 cents a day, quite a bargain.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”