Action and a confession. . .

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
pima1234

Re: Action and a confession. . .

Post by pima1234 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:56 am

I only wish my grad school instructor had advised me to try to low tension strings. I might still have that Angella... The action could not be lowered, but low tension strings almost certainly would have salvaged that guitar for me. It was an absolute cannon.

Comfortable action is very important. It can always be changed for your preference and/or as your technique progresses.

I'm trying slightly higher action while anticipating the arrival of the new Dogal Maestrale low tension strings. With the normal tension Pyramid Sterlings, the higher saddle is uncomfortable (but not unbearable).
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:08 am

I'm trying slightly higher action while anticipating the arrival of the new Dogal Maestrale low tension strings.
I look forward to hearing about the Maestrale. I have a set of soft tension Infinito on the way.

Kintla

Post by Kintla » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:43 pm

Although very subjective, imo Alabastro's seem to work quite well on cedar guitars. I've not tried them on spruce as yet as I am very satisfied with the string combination I currently have (Savarez Cantiga/Mari 100p) and am 99% sure they will not be as good. In fact on my cedar guitar I found the Alabastro's (specifically the first string) to be lacking, so I now use a nylon first string (LaBella 10PH) and carbon third and second on that guitar. I guess that is why we all go through this "ritual" of chasing the perfect string. Good luck.

pima1234

Post by pima1234 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:17 am

They're outstanding. (Blue trebles, by the way. And, they send a Diamante high E, which is nice.)

Completely has change the guitar I received from Chris Sobel recently. Intonation is perfect with a Philippe Bosset fully compensated saddle (that was the problem with the Pyramid strings).

I really like the Pyramid Sterling strings on my Henderson, but I'm going to try the Maestrale strings on that, too, with a higher saddle as well. Chris is going to work on that guitar for me, and I'm having a Barbera Soloist installed on it, meaning that Chris's guitar will become my regular concert guitar.
Brandon Walker wrote:
I'm trying slightly higher action while anticipating the arrival of the new Dogal Maestrale low tension strings.
I look forward to hearing about the Maestrale. I have a set of soft tension Infinito on the way.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

tmblweed1

Post by tmblweed1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:43 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:02 pm
If the Knobloch carbon strings are to your liking, you might as well just buy the fishing line in bulk lengths, it's cheaper per string and most likely exactly the same material.

Each manufacture likes to embellish something that is more or less a common mass produced synthetic material. Brand A of carbon, may very well be the same as brand B of carbon.

Most producers actually do very little production in house of the synthetic materials. The cost comes from testing for quality control.

But fishing line is more or less the same thing.
Fishing line would most likely pull your bridge loose before breaking, I hope he does not actually take your advice.
As soon as you see something, you already start to intellectualize it. As soon as you intellectualize something, it is no longer what you saw.
Shunryu Suzuki-roshi 1905 1971

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:08 am

tmblweed1 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:43 pm
MessyTendon wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:02 pm
If the Knobloch carbon strings are to your liking, you might as well just buy the fishing line in bulk lengths, it's cheaper per string and most likely exactly the same material.

Each manufacture likes to embellish something that is more or less a common mass produced synthetic material. Brand A of carbon, may very well be the same as brand B of carbon.

Most producers actually do very little production in house of the synthetic materials. The cost comes from testing for quality control.

But fishing line is more or less the same thing.
Fishing line would most likely pull your bridge loose before breaking, I hope he does not actually take your advice.
That is not correct. There is quite a bit of information on this forum about brands/tensions/diameters of fishing line that users here safely use. Clearly you can't just tune up any random bit of fluorocarbon.

In relation to MessyTendon's comment, I don't see the point in buying fishing line in bulk. Different carbon strings sound different - there would likely be some need for experimentation with fishing line too. Carbon trebles last a long time for most people (maybe three bass string changes?) - just buy Knobloch treble sets in bulk and you'd have several years supply..... with the sound you know you'd like.

lifewithasong

Post by lifewithasong » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:29 am

Hi Guys,

I realize that it's been over a year since I started this thread, but I just wanted to report back that in the past week, I actually lowered the action on this guitar, and am now enjoying it even more. I've been an acoustic guitar player for many years (thirty-five--most of these have included my classical playing), and have become a big believer in medium to medium-high action for getting the best overall tone and dynamic range, but after lowering the bass side slightly (from 4.0mm to about 3.8mm) and the treble from 3.5mm to 3.25, I'm finding that the tone of this guitar actually seems to have improved overall (or maybe it's that my technique has adjusted/I'm a little more relaxed with the lower tension). By the way, I've got Hannabach 728 low-tensions on it right now. I got this guitar because of how it sounded originally with D'Addario mediums on it, but as I've worked through different string sets, I've found that almost every set I'm trying out sounds good on it. These Hannabachs are among my favorites, though.
Esse quam videri

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”