Dogal Maestrale

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
jnbrown

Re: Dogal Maestrale

Postby jnbrown » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:59 pm

I recently tried a Maestrale high E string and agree the tension felt high for a medium tension string.
It was quite loud but I didn't care for the sound or feel.
Right now I have a Dogal Diamante high E and quite like it but the B string was too dull sounding.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Postby MessyTendon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:48 pm

James if the materials are from the medical industry, they are most likely blue sutures, Prolene monofilament...The cost of buying these materials would not require sterilization, so they might be cheaper to buy...but the medical industry likes to mark thinks up...

I wonder if we could get non sterile prolene for musical applications :)

Beowulf

Postby Beowulf » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:54 pm

I have been trying a set of Dogal Maestrale HT strings on my Yamaha GC-10 (662mm scale). Previously, I have used D'Addario EJ44 (EHT) strings for years. The Dogals took a very long time to hold tuning...as in weeks. I doubt one could use these strings for performing unless you settled the strings for a good period beforehand. Tension feels a bit lower than the D'Addario EJ44.

The sound is lively and rich and easy to play. The trebles are clear, with good presence and attack...however on my instrument I found the E1 to be too bright relative to the other strings. It was almost metallic. I switched to the clear nylon Diamante (which Dogal includes in the set for just that reason) and the sound was much better balanced. The basses are responsive and produce a nice resonance.

All in all a very nice set of strings with a lovely tone...though pricey. I will keep playing on them and see how they age.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:50 am

So I've had the Maestrale strings on my guitar for a while now, and I'm planning to keep them on till my next lesson to see what my teacher thinks, but I doubt if I'll keep them on any longer than that. The basses are fine, although they seem a bit noisy when you fret them, but I can't really get on with the trebles. They feel a bit like the brown G string in the D'Addario composite set, very stiff, which I think makes them feel harder in tension than they actually are. If I hadn't been told they were lower tension than D'Addarios, I would have believed they were higher. I'm actually thinking of setting up a jig to measure the tension. On the plus side, the trebles are bright (if you like bright), and they do have more power, and are stronger at the top end (above 12th fret on the top E string).

When I take these strings off, I'll probably try the Diamante, which were strongly recommended by Lorenzo Frignani, who hosted our visit to Italy.

James

P.S. I agree that the trebles take a long time to stay in tune.
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:02 am

James Lister wrote:When I take these strings off, I'll probably try the Diamante, which were strongly recommended by Lorenzo Frignani, who hosted our visit to Italy.

James, make sure you buy the Strong or Extra Strong trebles (but it matters not which of those you buy since the trebles in each set are the same). Don't go for normal or low tension as these strings are already comparatively low in tension - they start to feel a bit like rubber bands!
Also, they don't sound as vibrant. The Strong Diamanté sound really very fine on the right guitar.

Regards
Peter

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks Peter. I already have a set (free sample from Dogal) - I'm pretty sure they are Strong tension - I'll check later.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

hoangle8

Postby hoangle8 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:45 am

I recently had Dogal Maestrale on my Lissagarue cedar lattice guitar. They are very powerful , producing big sound. The tension( high) feels good on my left hand, similar to the Aquila Nygut. However, the trebles are probably a tad too bright.

pima1234

Postby pima1234 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:43 am

Agree, particularly the high e string. My only real gripe, other than the trebles can be noisy (really meaning that I need to refine my technique).
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

Professor Ding Bat

Postby Professor Ding Bat » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:45 pm

I've had the Maestrale normal tension set on my best guitar for about six weeks now and couldn't be more impressed with the overall result. The set is very well balanced and the trebles are the real standout here, very unique. The intonation is spot on, which in my mind differentiates a good string from an unplayable one, and all strings in this set share that attribute. As has been mentioned in this thread before, these strings take a relatively long time to settle in, as they seem to elongate over time, but once they are tuned up, they tend to stay true for at least that sitting. Now, for the trebles: these have a certain something going on with them that I can't quite put my finger on (that's punny), but I know I adore them. Yes, they have a strange blue color to them and that's not what is important, but the sound - that's another thing entirely. They sing in all registers and cover every bit of the musical palette with such consistency it's really astonishing. And they do feel different to the touch. Some would qualify this as too stiff, or too whatever....but I have no issue with a treble string feeling stiff if the sound quality is as stunning as these are. They also have a certain tactile quality to them which is peculiar, they can squeak if you run your fingers along them lightly, probably due to the surface texture, which seems to be smooth, but with a slight amount of friction there. This also gives them a certain grip which feels more solid than conventional strings.

The big question is - are they worth the money? With a price at Strings By Mail pushing $30, they would have to be something special to warrant the cost. For me, they are worth it. I ordered 3 more sets after about a month of testing them out. After 6 weeks of playing, they hold up really well. If they only lasted half that time, I would probably just use them for performances.

pima1234

Postby pima1234 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:46 am

I have also ordered more, including a set of normal tension for a different guitar.

The low tension are just wonderful on my very thin 2002 double-top Henderson. It's a unique and special guitar and needed the right strings. I think I've finally found them with the Maestrales.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”