Hannabach 815mt - Just wow!

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
zupfgeiger

Re: Hannabach 815mt - Just wow!

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:51 am

I tried a set 815 mt a short while ago. Liked the basses and the trebles were quite brillant, but trebles clearly lacked durability. After ten days only the surface of the trebles started to get roughened, particlularely the first string (two hours of playing time per day), which caused an unpleasant playing feeling.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

gabasa

Post by gabasa » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:22 am

If you like the 815 series, you may just love their 200/900 strings. They cost more, so I treated myself to a few sets from SBM last Friday!

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:53 pm

Thanks -- in fact, I'm waiting for a set of the Black to arrive today! :D
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

jnbrown

Post by jnbrown » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:13 pm

I have tried a lot of strings on my Flamenco guitar.
I decided for the high E string I like nylon better than carbon.
I have tried Augustine, Dogal, Knobloch and Hannabach 815SLT.
I like the Hannabach the best, it is not as loud and punchy as say Knobloch but I like the sound and feel better.
I am wondering if going to 815LT might provide a little more volume?
Will probably try on it the B string as well in place of carbon.

Guther

Post by Guther » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:47 pm

gabasa wrote:If you like the 815 series, you may just love their 200/900 strings. They cost more, so I treated myself to a few sets from SBM last Friday!
I recently strung up one of my guitars with the 900's and I'm very impressed. The note separation is better than the D'Addario's I normally use, but an unexpected perk is how much the playability improved. Not that it was bad before, it is just noticeably better. Granted, these strings cost 3x as much as the usuals and I did expect an upgrade to tone. So far so good.

Also, I interpreted the floppy end of the bass strings, wound in purple, as sending a message to the tune of " please tie me to the bridge". However, I've opted to tie the fat ends to the bridge, as always, as I think it creates a stronger bond to the bridge.
Guther

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Just strung up my guitar with the 815MT (black card). Love them, just love them (just as I was afraid I would, given the price!). Warm, rich, balanced. Though I did use a Savarez Alliance 3rd (which I've done for ages with many different kinds of strings). They're definitely firmer than the LTs I mentioned earlier, but still have a nice easy feel under the left hand. Afraid I might be hooked... so I asked for some for Christmas!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

gabasa

Post by gabasa » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:13 am

Fwiw, the Hannabachs are expensive, but in my experience they last longer than D'Addarios.

jnbrown

Post by jnbrown » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:25 pm

I have been playing the 815LT on high E and B strings for about a week and really like them.
I think the LT is slightly better than SLT for me.
I have tried so many strings and I think these are what I will stick with.
Of course there are a few strings I have not tried but now don't feel I need to.
Now I can play and not think about strings.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:07 pm

I hope this thread is not to old to be contributed to.

The treble strings of the green (LT) and black (MT) Hannabach 815 are the same regarding tension, so I assume they are the same. It is only the basses which are different. The green basses are thinner and lower tension.

fraim

Post by fraim » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:31 pm

has anyone found the hb trebles to be a bit slippery? i tried 2 full sets (black card 815 silver special) on 2 different guitars and my lh fingers want to slide off the strings. especially the "e" string wanted to slip right off the fretboard. too bad because i really loved the sound. i've since switched to saverez on the trebles... kept hb for the basses

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:00 am

Love the sound and balanced feel of them. But in recordings I couldn't notice enough of a difference to warrant the extra expense and hassle of getting them (can't but locally). I find the low tension (green) have the closest feel to dadario ej45's but the blue (extra low) might be closer to the actual tension (of ej45's)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:09 pm

fraim wrote:has anyone found the hb trebles to be a bit slippery? i tried 2 full sets (black card 815 silver special) on 2 different guitars and my lh fingers want to slide off the strings. especially the "e" string wanted to slip right off the fretboard. too bad because i really loved the sound. i've since switched to saverez on the trebles... kept hb for the basses
Which Savarez? I just changed from Savarez Alliance trebles to "New Cristal" trebles and find these slippery. Alliance is rougher. I had Hanabach 815 MT (black) before. I found these trebles very high tension but do not remember them being particularly slippery.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:03 pm

fraim wrote:has anyone found the hb trebles to be a bit slippery? i tried 2 full sets (black card 815 silver special) on 2 different guitars and my lh fingers want to slide off the strings. especially the "e" string wanted to slip right off the fretboard. too bad because i really loved the sound. i've since switched to saverez on the trebles... kept hb for the basses
Another thing: for how long did you keep the Hannabach trebles on? In my experience nylon trebles get rougher as the stretch in.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:30 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Another thing: for how long did you keep the Hannabach trebles on? In my experience nylon trebles get rougher as the stretch in.
About the slipperiness: Doesn't bother me. For future reference, when the strings have a rough matte like finish they are called rectified. Some people have a preference for or against them but I find if I give them time I can get used to either. For some people non rectified can be a little quieter when sliding up or down the string.

About Longevity: One thing I loved about the Hanabach trebles (at least in the old days) is that they last through several string changes and almost get better with time. In contrast the normal D string is very weak but given the lesser price of half sets it evens out in the long run. When using Hanabachs sets with the weak D (have never tried the improved D) I find it is best to always keep and extra (half) set of bass strings on hand (due to the D failing at any time).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

fraim

Post by fraim » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:42 am

joachim33 wrote: Which Savarez? I just changed from Savarez Alliance trebles to "New Cristal" trebles and find these slippery. Alliance is rougher. I had Hanabach 815 MT (black) before. I found these trebles very high tension but do not remember them being particularly slippery.
i've also just put the "new cristal"---500cr trebles nt. so far i'm not having the same problem of slipperiness. i didn't know that the hb strings would lose that slipperiness the longer they were on. i changed all 6 strings after about 6wks of 2+hrs a day of practicing because the bass strings were sounding very flat. i'll admit that the trebles sounded good still but i was tired of my pinky slipping off.
@robin...thanks for the bit of education in explaining "rectified". i have hb basses on my main guitar & have a full set on my 2nd guitar , which only gets played about 1/3 the time but haven't noticed a problem with the d string. something to remember though.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”