Hannabach 815mt - Just wow!

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
zupfgeiger

Re: Hannabach 815mt - Just wow!

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:10 am

Yesterday I fitted my new Giovanni Tacchi Friederich copy with Hannabach 815 on first string and Knobloch carbon on b and g. the combination is amazing on that guitar. Cristall clear trebles on e without being overly bright and piercing. The Knobloch are a definite upgrade compared to the original d'Addario which Giovannie put on. But honestely, even without the best treble strings available this guitar has one of the finest first string I ever played.

Update: I never had any slippery problems with these Hannabach 815 strings.
Last edited by zupfgeiger on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:49 am

fraim wrote:
joachim33 wrote: Which Savarez? I just changed from Savarez Alliance trebles to "New Cristal" trebles and find these slippery. Alliance is rougher. I had Hanabach 815 MT (black) before. I found these trebles very high tension but do not remember them being particularly slippery.
i've also just put the "new cristal"---500cr trebles nt. so far i'm not having the same problem of slipperiness. i didn't know that the hb strings would lose that slipperiness the longer they were on. i changed all 6 strings after about 6wks of 2+hrs a day of practicing because the bass strings were sounding very flat. i'll admit that the trebles sounded good still but i was tired of my pinky slipping off.
@robin...thanks for the bit of education in explaining "rectified". i have hb basses on my main guitar & have a full set on my 2nd guitar , which only gets played about 1/3 the time but haven't noticed a problem with the d string. something to remember though.
Interesting. I put on the same Savarez trebles on on Friday and find them slippery - I expect, with a bit of practise I can adjust. To me, they feel more slippery than the Hannabach, so exactly the opposite from you. But as I wrote this is not a direct comparison, since I had a set of Alliances in between.

I changed my Hannabachs (815 MT) after 2 weeks, since the D string was destroyed at the frets (to much pressure). With Savarez Corum basses I cope better (5 weeks). So for now, until I improved my technique (less left hand pressure) I won't buy them again (I still have a new set of 815 LT (green) sitting). As you wrote the Hannabach trebles sound were very nice. But I have issues with their tension. I would call it murderously high for a MT. The Alliance (red) played much easier. Many passages I struggled with Hannabach played reasonably ok with the Alliance trebles. I attributed that to tension, but looking at your input, it might be "slipping".

If you had the Hannabachs 6 weeks I think the process of loosing slipperiness is done. If you still didn't like it, then it is not for you, at least for now, with you current playing technique.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:56 am

robin loops wrote: About the slipperiness: Doesn't bother me. For future reference, when the strings have a rough matte like finish they are called rectified. Some people have a preference for or against them but I find if I give them time I can get used to either. For some people non rectified can be a little quieter when sliding up or down the string.
I have tried Savarez 520R (recified), 500AR (Alliance) and 510CR (New Cristal) trebles. To the best of my knowledge, the Alliance trebles are not rectified (which means ground into shape). The surface of the rectified 520R trebles is very rough. They squeak a lot when I change position. The Alliance trebles are definitely rougher than the "New Cristal" or D'Addario Nylon trebles but not as rough as the rectified trebles. Alliance do not squeak very much - I would say not at all.

I like the tone of the 520R trebles. I might try another set, once I have improved my technique. To me they are a classic.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”