flat frets on Ramirez 4NE

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
kamikazepilot

Re: flat frets on Ramirez 4NE

Post by kamikazepilot » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:08 pm

Philosopherguy, Many thanks for your comments. I have just edited my profile to show that I live in the UK. I assume that there is a distributor within the UK, but I know not who? I cannot see a distributor opening each consignment of new guitars, removing strings, levelling etc....... In fairness to Ramirez , I intend to write & inform them of my observations & the existence of this thread , so they may wish to respond. Yes , as previously stated , I love the instrument, & the sound it produces. Best regards, Paul.

kamikazepilot

Post by kamikazepilot » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:43 pm

I have just received a response from Ramirez Guitars;

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your email.

I am back for my trip and I have been checking this issue.

This NE series is a high end studio models, they are not professional guitars however. The frets of this series are slightly flat, but not in a way that it may cause buzzings or any other kind of problem. This is not a technical defect in any case, only an asthetical issue. Please take note that in the late few years the frets used in this studio series are lower than the ones we use in our professional guitars, so it is not possible to make them completely round. But they are thought for this type of construction so there are not any problems with the sound. For this reason we do not receive complaints about this issue.

When we inspect the studio guitars we make sure that they are not buzzing, that the sound is clear, and that the intonation is the right one.

Best regards,

Amalia Ramírez

So they don't require crowning after all- what a relief . Many thanks for the contributions that have been made. Paul.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:20 am

Well... OK. I think you mentioned file marks in the original post.
Steve

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:41 pm

They do seem to wear out the nylons a little quicker though. As the frets have a cornered, sharper edge to them, this would make sense. I just noticed that when you run your fingers on the back of the trebles the spot where it contacted the fret seems to feel a little rougher than say a string that I just took off of my 130 an~os, and it had really old strings on it when I changed them.

kamikazepilot

Post by kamikazepilot » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:45 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kamikazepilot

Post by kamikazepilot » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:05 pm

Finally got down to sorting these flat frets out! A couple of hours of judicious work with a needle file (previously smoothed off all of the cutting surfaces that could damage the fret board ) & polishing with extremely fine wet& dry , before buffing with the nail polishing kit. I am extremely pleased with my efforts- the fretted notes now sound bright & clear , & when lifting the fretting finger , that small audible (to my ears ) fizz has gone.
One of the exercises that I work on daily is playing scales with just enough pressure to make the notes buzz on the frets. This has now become significantly more difficult to achieve. Very happy with the results.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:48 pm

Exactly. Dressing frets is a critical step in making a guitar playable. Congrats.
Five months is not so bad... sometimes it is hard to understand the importance of a small detail ... until you fix it yourself.
Steve

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:10 am

Looks like a good job. Did you use a crowning file, or did you just take the sharp edges off? I can't tell by the pictures, but I can tell that there are no file marks now. On my 4NE the frets are totally flat, like Gibson used to do on their guitars. The frets have an almost sharp break on the edges. I wonder if they did this by leveling as there is no wobble with the straight edge. He frets are completely level, so I don't want to mess with them. And I use grogamyte on the frets and board every time I change strings, so they stay nice and polished looking.

kamikazepilot

Post by kamikazepilot » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Just ground & polished a flat needle file. My frets were similar to yours in as much as they were perfectly level, but by blacking the frets & crowning them to leave a very fine line along the centre of each fret, the levelness was not affected.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Very pretty job. Be proud of that one.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”