Change Nut, Change string spacing

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
nmshu1

Re: Change Nut, Change string spacing

Post by nmshu1 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:38 pm

Rick-in-Annapolis wrote:
James Lister wrote:No.
This seems like a simple answer to a potentially more complicated question. My understanding is that nut material can change the tone of the guitar.
I think so. Because every part of guitar vibrate together...every part vibration should contribute to the sound formation...

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:46 pm

You ask questions, already have answers! What you need?
And I like mammoth tusk! Very nice!
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hauser III 2014!

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:57 pm

Had it done years ago on my 1a. Didn't change the sound a bit.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:30 am

Jack Douglas wrote:You ask questions, already have answers! What you need?
And I like mammoth tusk! Very nice!
Want to make my guitar' s tone better after changing nut.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:06 am

It appears that the consensus from luthiers on this forum and most others is that the tone won't change significantly so long as the nut is made of something hard, be it bone, tusq, mammoth tusk, walrus tusk... However, I sense that your mind is already made up. So go with what you believe and see what happens. After all, the only person that really counts is you. For what it's worth, I have nuts made of brass, mammoth tusk, tusq, pre-banned African ivory, MOP, Zero Fret Glide and most recently lignum vitae. Honestly, I have not been able to detect any substantiated difference. Saddle: yes, Nut: No

My favorite nut material is lignum vitae. It looks cool, natural, authentic, and its natural, intrinsic lubricity eliminates any string stickiness. I only have it for a month. Only time will tell whether the its slots will wear out faster than bone.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:09 am

bacsidoan wrote:It appears that the consensus from luthiers on this forum and most others is that the tone won't change significantly so long as the nut is made of something hard, be it bone, tusq, mammoth tusk, walrus tusk... However, I sense that your mind is already made up. So go with what you believe and see what happens. After all, the only person that really counts is you. For what it's worth, I have nuts made of brass, mammoth tusk, tusq, pre-banned African ivory, MOP, Zero Fret Glide and most recently lignum vitae. Honestly, I have not been able to detect any substantiated difference. Saddle: yes, Nut: No

My favorite nut material is lignum vitae. It looks cool, natural, authentic, and its natural, intrinsic lubricity eliminates any string stickiness. I only have it for a month. Only time will tell whether the its slots will wear out faster than bone.
Thanks for your comments. Just before I changed nut from original one to new nut with narrower strings spacing, its tone is not as good as original one. I try to keep same tone by using new nut with narrower strings spacing...

The original one is exciting to play while the new one with narrower strings spacing has a little bit boring...now I am sure the nut's material is different. Next time when I have another nut, I must know the nut material in detail.
Last edited by nmshu1 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:32 am

nmshu1 wrote:
Michael.N. wrote:
nmshu1 wrote:Through Internet search, I found different material of nut affects tone a lot! Such as from elephant teeth, cow bone...plastic materials...
What happens when you fret a note with your finger, does the nut material alter the tone then? How does it do it, since it's the metal fret that is stopping the string, not the nut. The nut is only in play on open strings, which is rare in comparison to notes stopped by the fingers.
If you really believe that the nut material imparts such a change you should use a nut made of metal, the very same alloy that is used to make frets. No one does though.
Actually, I found the difference when I changed the nut and narrower strings spacing. It happened on my two guitars. Not only one...it is said that elephant teeth is the best material for nut...
But you have completely ignored my question. How can the nut affect a note that is fretted?
A slightly narrower nut will have zero effect. What you are hearing is a product of removing and replacing strings or it's because you want to hear a difference, therefore you do.
Historicalguitars.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:20 pm

Nut and Saddle material affect tone a lot: Ivory, bone,graphite...
Ivory is the best...

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:57 pm

:D This thread is hilarious!

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Michael.N. wrote: But you have completely ignored my question. How can the nut affect a note that is fretted?
A slightly narrower nut will have zero effect. What you are hearing is a product of removing and replacing strings or it's because you want to hear a difference, therefore you do.
Every one of my notes is fretted since I use the "zero glide" nut/fret system. Oh well, ... actually, I do find improvement in play-ability since the string spacing is reduced slightly by the zero glide nut. Therefore, I'm less likely to pull the first string off the edge of the finger board. Tuning is smoother as there is less friction at the nut. That was a good reason to change things. But, tone doesn't need changing, and I agree that it could not in that way.

Anyone tried a solid gold nut? That would change the value of the guitar and put it in a more expensive league of renowned instruments. And the tone would be so much better! My point, experimenter's bias is a wonderful thing and it's elimination is a painful process! :)
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

JohnNguyen

Post by JohnNguyen » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:25 am

I think nmshu1 is just trying to pull everyone's leg for amusement! :lol:

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:07 pm

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:04 am

According to the linked graphtec promo, the tusq vs. bone comparison (see graph) is with respect to the saddle only. I see no evidence is provided with regard to using tusq at the nut end, which is the topic here. In any case, I'm not about to replace my bone saddles.
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

Rob

Post by Rob » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:20 am

I changed one bone nut for another bone nut (from 42 to 44 mm). The change was done by a skilled luthier, and I could not detect any difference in tone.

davekear

Post by davekear » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:34 am

Of course, it will only change the sound of open strings, right? When you fret, the nut has no effect. If your open strings sound dull or muffled or? but the fretted notes don't, then it's your nut.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”