Rectified nylon trebles

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Kintla

Rectified nylon trebles

Postby Kintla » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:32 pm

So in my long quest for the "perfect" string I have never played or tried rectified strings. Just as an afterthought I decided since I had a set of Savarez red card (high tension) rectified trebles to try them. Took off the Mari 100 p trebles. What got me thinking about rectified trebles was the video at GSI of Pepe Romero touting his new line of rectified strings made by LaBella. Now I realize 95% of this is probably hype to sell a product but I am finding rectified strings to be an interesting choice, time will tell if they are more to my liking. I think they're slightly easier to play because of their lack of slipperyness. Sound wise I think they give a more intimate sound and at least to my ear seem clearer/purer than regular nylon. I think they've gotten a bad rap probably because they tend to produce some left hand string noise which on my guitar at least isn't a problem. So am curious to hear any opinions yeah or nay regarding rectified trebles.

astro64

Re: Rectified nylon trebles

Postby astro64 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:35 pm

For me they produce left and right hand string noise, the worse the thicker the string. I agree that they sound nice, but you need short nails, a more vertically angled RH attack and your LH needs to lift fingers in shifting, as it does for the wound bass strings. A lot of extra work...worth the trouble?

Kintla

Postby Kintla » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:09 pm

Astro: Thanks appreciate your thoughts. My nails are short (I can't seem to play with longer nails) and my guitar was made with some kind of alteration to minimize left hand noise. I never asked exactly how or what he did to do this but I don't notice any extra left hand noise, so yes for me they work. Will be interesting to see if I stick with them and will be interesting to try them on my other guitar a cedar guitar, just to see if there is any difference regarding left hand string noise.

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:30 pm

Kintla wrote:my guitar was made with some kind of alteration to minimize left hand noise.

Huh? :shock:
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Kintla

Postby Kintla » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:27 pm

I know it sounds a bit odd, but I remember talking with the luthier and he said he could minimize left hand string noise, (maybe I am confused it has been over 10 years ago, but this is what I remember him saying) and asked me if I would like him to do this, I said sure.

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:59 pm

Did he fit unwound nylons for the bass strings? :mrgreen:
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Rasqeo

Postby Rasqeo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:04 pm

Kintla wrote:I know it sounds a bit odd, but I remember talking with the luthier and he said he could minimize left hand string noise, (maybe I am confused it has been over 10 years ago, but this is what I remember him saying) and asked me if I would like him to do this, I said sure.

Oh you went to the same luthier as me except he asked me if I wanted to buy a guitar that eliminates all playing mistakes. Of course I said no, where would the fun be in that? :)

mrvegas

Postby mrvegas » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:55 pm

Although I go back and forth, I generally like rectified strings also. I think the Savarez Red Card (520R) and White Card (520B) have a unique sound, and I like that. Yes, there is more finger noise, so I suppose it depends on your personal tolerance for that. The D-string on the 520Bs tends not to last very long. The other really good set of rectified strings is the Pyramid Excelsior -- I have super lows on a guitar now and like them. Note that the reviews for Pyramid Excelsior high tension sets say that those tend to be really stiff, so you may want to check those out if you are going to order high tension Excelsior strings.

I've tried the LaBella and D'addario rectified strings also. They are reliable and have good intonation, but don't have that same "organic" sound that the Savarez or Pyramids do, to me anyway.

Obviously, everyone has their own strong opinions about strings -- the variety available is just amazing.
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Kintla wrote: my guitar was made with some kind of alteration to minimize left hand noise. I never asked exactly how or what he did to do this but I don't notice any extra left hand noise, so yes for me they work.

I've heard of luthiers saying that this can be achieved by tuning the soundboard to respond to and amplify the dynamic range of the playable notes of the guitar and deaden some of the higher frequencies (where the squeaks would be).

I'm not saying I believe it, I'm just saying what I've heard haha.

So much more can be done in the LH technique to eliminate string noise that I wouldn't worry so much about a guitar that doesn't amplify the squeaks.
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Also, getting back on topic lol...I like rectified strings. I play without nails, though.

With all of the options out there it kind of makes your head spin when choosing strings:

Clear Nylon,
Rectified Nylon,
Nylgut (new or old),
Bionylon (in Aquila Perla),
Nylonplant (in Aquila Zaffiro trebles),
Titanium,
Fluorocarbon,
Plain gut,
Varnished gut,

Which ones am I missing here??? Haha

Ugh..I guess you just have to find some that both you and your guitar like and stick with them.

Of course, as soon as you do that the manufacturer will discontinue them and you have to start all over. Wasn't Pepe saying in that video that his favorite strings were discontinued and he started using rectified trebles after?

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Postby MessyTendon » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:25 pm

tatehareharmann, the Nylgut are really a responsive string to play without nails. The Zaffiro also have a nice pop, and brilliant tone without nails. The Perla set does not work as well without nails.

I think rectified trebles personal preference. Try them, if you like them good. the Savarez 520R is a tried and true classic. I think La Bella makes trebles sets as opposed to full sets.

I do believe the Romero string is just hype, or a co-branded product with money in mind. I mean they cost like 30 percent more...but it's just plastic. Of course Pepe could play a shoestring and make it sound good.

Kintla

Postby Kintla » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:48 pm

Checking back in here, nice to see the thoughts of others. I've been playing the rectified (Savarez red card) for a week or so now, and I am quite fond of them. At least on the guitar they are on (Jean Rompre spruce) they work well in my opinion, very pure sound and like I said, I don't have an issue with string noise for either right or left hand. I will be trying them on a cedar guitar in the future. I have a feeling that on this guitar that they may produce more left hand noise, but will have to wait and see. Just when I was convinced that the Mari 100 p were my string of choice, it seems I have changed my mind once again.

Kintla

Postby Kintla » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:57 pm

As most know already, I think it's true there are no perfect strings, just strings that work better for a specific guitar, or produce the sound that one is looking for. I am about done with carbon for trebles after trying the Mari 100 p and Savarez red card rectified trebles, though I will concede that carbon may work in some situations. I think it boils down to whatever "floats your boat". As regards bass strings, Savarez Cantiga's are hard to beat imo. Now I've got a bunch of strings that I will probably never use, but will probably keep "just in case".

astro64

Postby astro64 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:48 am

Kintla wrote:Now I've got a bunch of strings that I will probably never use, but will probably keep "just in case".

Don't worry. You'll feel the urge to try them again some time...if you are like me.

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:01 am

Yes, and it's great to have spares laying around for breakages or helping a buddy out with some shiny new strings if his/her strings are 10+ years old haha.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”