Rectified nylon trebles

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
soltirefa

Re: Rectified nylon trebles

Postby soltirefa » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:23 am

Once I used rectum-fied trebles. They really smell bad.

Oleo

Postby Oleo » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:53 pm

Kintla wrote:So in my long quest for the "perfect" string I have never played or tried rectified strings.

They're are great. I've always used them.

astro64 wrote:A lot of extra work...worth the trouble?

... When I started with RTs, I saw it as a fun way to perfect my technique.

What's more: I dare say that a guitarist with proper technique, must be able to play perfectly with rectified trebles.

Greetings,

Icarus11

Postby Icarus11 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:35 pm

I tried a number of important strings on my Kohno and I always consider that the red and white cards are best for this guitar. I do not know why but the comfort of play and the tone are perfect for this guitar. I do not know what makes these strings so soft and pleasing in their composition, any ideas?

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

I am fond of neither rectified trebles or any of the Savarez trebles, so I guess this counts me out of the rectified Savarez fan club. I don't like their feel, left hand noise or sound! The packaging is OK I guess.... :lol:

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:15 am

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:23 am

Interesting Rob, thanks for posting. The Pepe Romero are certainly quieter than the Savarez.

I still don't get why one would use rectifued yrebkes though - the claims include better intonation due to better control on string diameter etc.

However D'addario, Aranjuez and Mari to name a few seem to have achieved very good intonation on their unrectified stings and are essentially silent to play.

What are the other supposed benefits my good 'rectified string advocate' friends?

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:30 am

It's the tactile quality - for the flesh especially. People with long nails should avoid them, while people with very short (or no) nails will find they get better traction on the string.

Pepe attacks the string mainly at a 90 degree angle, while someone like Russell perhaps is about 45 degrees. The more acute the angle, the more noise is generated.

As far as left-hand noise is concerned, I've never found it an issue.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:54 am

Thanks Rob, a helpful explanation.

souldier

Postby souldier » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:45 pm

petermc61 wrote:What are the other supposed benefits my good 'rectified string advocate' friends?

I'm not exactly an advocate but every now and then I do like throwing some rectified trebles on for something different. The benefits are:
-Tactile feel that gives you more grip, thus giving you more control, easier vibrato execution, etc. Ever have slippery trebles due to sweat, etc.? Not an issue with RTs
-Supposedly more consistent intonation
-Unique tone. I'd say RTs have a warmer, more unique classic tone with a good blend of warmth and brightness. This of course depends on the brand.

If ever you want to dip your feet into RTs my favorites so far are made by La Bella - great tone and less string noise. Haven't tried the Pepe Remeros but they also seem promising, which happen to be made by La Bella as well.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

2014 James Frieson | Swiss Spruce . Madagascar Rosewood

astro64

Postby astro64 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:21 pm

My recollection is also that I don't like the finger and nail noise but do like the warm tone. Bright, yet warm, not nasal, as I recall. I have a set of the Pepe Romero's to try in the new year.

Icarus11

Postby Icarus11 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:00 pm

Ok Rob, I ordered the La Bella!

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:15 pm

Good luck!

Kintla

Postby Kintla » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:59 pm

Main reason I tried rectified trebles is the tone, warmer imo. I play with very short nails, I don't notice any additional noise but it certainly could be a problem with longer nails I guess. I still like regular nylon, especially Augustine imperial trebles on other guitars. Basses depends on the guitar I think, I use Savarez Cantiga with the rectified trebles. Am curious to try D'Addario composite basses with Augustine Imperial trebles on my other two guitars. My cedar Lee guitar doesn't seem to like bright basses (Cantiga's). Choices, choices. I also will use a carbon third sometimes, usually a Seaguar 90 lb test.
'

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:43 am

I can't use the Savarez 520R "frosty" strings because of my callouses. They are huge because I play steel strings also. On those strings I squeak like crazy!
Ramirez George Harrison 2012 SP/IRW
Ramirez 4NE 2011 CD/IRW
Ramirez 125 an~os 2011 CD/IRW
Kremona F65CW TL CD/IRW

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:48 pm

Here's the sound I get off of rectified trebles: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=109603

These are the Savarez White Card - I'm going to try the La Bella low tension rectified next...supposedly they are a bit quieter.
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”