Concrete advice and suggestions from "Strings Gurus"

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Oleo

Re: Concrete advice and suggestions from "Strings Gurus"

Post by Oleo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:52 am

MessyTendon wrote:The Zaffiro strings are also nice...really a nice softer feel on the hands and a very bright powerful sound.
Thank you MessyTendon, for your detailed reviews.. I'll order a Zaffiro set, too.
Jack Douglas wrote:I prefer Hannabach 815's or Augustine, but the finger feel of the Alabastro is very hard to beat.
Yes, one 815LT. Set and is also added to the basket. And with Augustine, I am thinking which one to try first: :red or blue imperials...

Greetings

dilettante1000

Post by dilettante1000 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:08 am

I'm with Peter on this one. I used to like 520Rs a lot. Never been quite so fond of the 'glassy nylon' smoothness of many strings. For me, Aquila strings work very well. They are on a flamenco guitar I own and they give it brightness, sweetness and punch.

The trick to the stretching is to be quite hard when you install them and give them a good pull once they are locked in at the bridge, before tensioning them at the head; this reduces the tendency for them to need bedding in. Once installed they hold their tuning and tone exceptionally well. I haven't tried their Flamenco strings, but the Alabastro's do it for me...

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:52 am

Oleo wrote:And with Augustine, I am thinking which one to try first: :red or blue imperials...
I actually think the Black Imperials have the best sound of all Augustine strings, but if you need a little more tension try the Red Imperial.

Dyingsea

Post by Dyingsea » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:03 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
The Zaffiro strings are also nice...really a nice softer feel on the hands and a very bright powerful sound.
Strange as on paper they are a very high tension set, something like 98lbs if I recall.

Oleo

Post by Oleo » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:32 am

dilettante1000 wrote:I'm with Peter on this one. I used to like 520Rs a lot. Never been quite so fond of the 'glassy nylon' smoothness of many strings. For me, Aquila strings work very well.
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I've seen the strings on the packaging, I touched the material and it is very promising!
Dyingsea wrote:Strange as on paper they are a very high tension set, something like 98lbs if I recall.
98 lbs ?? :shock: Well you're right, at least on paper, that's not exactly soft ...
petermc61 wrote: I actually think the Black Imperials have the best sound of all Augustine strings, but if you need a little more tension try the Red Imperial.
I take note! The truth is that I have MT in most of my guitars and I'm really comfortable.

But I have two guitars from the same luthier - my favourites - so comfortable that transform normal tension into pure "butter", and a little more allows you to increase dynamic range without losing comfort or sensitivity.

Talking about it with "dynamic" I don't mean volume, but the whole palette of different intensities! :D

Actually volume doesn't worry me. I'm used to mics and now, I like them: They are new colors...

Moreover, I've seen Hannabach P.S.P. polished strings reasonably economic. They are fine?

Greetings,

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:13 am

I don't recommend anybody's polished strings - period. Practice shifting quietly. Polished strings just seem to rip the vibrancy out of the string.

Oleo

Post by Oleo » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:15 pm

petermc61 wrote:I don't recommend anybody's polished strings - period. Practice shifting quietly. Polished strings just seem to rip the vibrancy out of the string.
Oh, I see. I ask because I've heard of them in recording studios. Well, I've always used the same 520Rs and some noise is inevitable... Especially with "gleaming" new strings.

Sometimes I thought if I'm a irresponsible guitarist because I don't record with polished strings... :roll:

And now I'm thinking that reading all these questions about strings can be extremely boring... I don't want to abuse your kindness and hope not! Thank you very much for your help. I sincerely appreciate it.

Greetings,

Oleo

Post by Oleo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:19 pm

Thanking the interest of those of you who have helped me, I inform you of my initial impressions:

-The 1st set that I tested is a Hannabach 825mt - which I ordered by mistake instead of 815mt -, on a 660mm Brazilian Rosewood & Spruce "flamenca negra".

Verdict:

- I'm really impressed with this set: Trebles are sweet and expressive, basses are warm and beautiful. I find the set excellently balanced, with a soft and elegant "dark mood".

The feel (touch) is excellent as well as extremely pleasant & comfortable to play: The distribution of tension and thickness of the strings is fabulous.

In reference to the previous strings (Knobloch Double Silver Q.Z. Nylon Medium High Tension), I have to say:

- Knobloch set is much more metallic and "noisy", and it doesn't allow so many nuances. I clearly find it less refined and definitely less balanced.
  Maybe the Knobloch set projects a little more... But what's it worth? Undoubtedly it'll have his public, but without a doubt it is not me.

I'll try 815mt and other sets of Hannabach (like 728, or 900...). Does anyone want to tell me the differences you felt between them?

I also have other sets of different brands to test:.. But as I see it, I think Hannabach is going to be a very, very strong contender.

Greetings,

Oleo

Post by Oleo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:18 am

Second test: La Bella 900-B on a "flamenca blanca" guitar (cypress & spruce), 650mm. Previous set: Savarez 520R.

- From what I've seen, La Bella seems to have great acceptance in flamenco focused forums (not exactly polished basses, right....But I wanted to try them); so, my impressions about this set:

- Trebles are correct: nothing special, but nothing wrong. They are a bit wide for my taste, but they combine properly with basses.

- These polished basses are interesting; they remind me the strings of an electric bass... That kind of sonority and "touch". They are warm.

These basses don't make noises and are very comfortable to play, defining notes very well... But they aren't the most suitable ones for flamenco, IMO. They lack something in rasgueados, alzapúa or with the typical flamenco thumb technique... It is missing that little "quejido" of the strings, something characteristic of flamenco sound and interpretation. I don't like it being too present, but always a little.

However, the set seems interesting to me for jazzy passages, for example. So I'll leave this set on another guitar for this purpose... But not on this one.

Greetings,

Oleo

Post by Oleo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:34 pm

Another Test: Aquila Alabastro 19C on a "flamenca blanca" guitar (cypress & spruce), 650mm. Previous set: La Bella 900-B.

These strings have pleasantly surprised me. Definitely, they are different... And at the same time, they have a feel very similar to rectified nylon, simply better (without unwanted noises).

The strings fit quickly: Shortly after putting them on, and my guitar was already shining. They produce a beautiful clear and bright sound, in no case overbright. The dynamic response is fine and the set is very well balanced.

So, I'm really enjoying the Aquila Alabastro set; these are excellent and totally recommended strings, and they have a lot of personality. Compared to the previous set (La Bella 900-B), well ... The guitar shines much more with the Alabastro strings - in fact, the 900-B set is too dull for me -.

Wonderful Strings. :bravo:

... But, even more than these strings I like the Hannabach 825mt.

** UPDATE of the Hannabach 825MT "Pure Gold" set review:

After the first few days, the sound of the strings has settled on the guitar even more. I've been making some recordings and the result is excellent.

There has been no appreciable loss in string quality until about the month (basically, they begin to lose a bit of the warmth in bass notes) and I've been playing a daily minimum of two hours of flamenco, which is a style that deteriorates the strings a lot. The loss is smooth and progresses very discreetly, so the strings will reach two months of durability well, which is what I consider suitable for quality - and expensive - strings.

I have to try more sets of Hannabach, but as I am recording and these strings are giving me such a good result, I will repeat with the same set for now.

Greetings,

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”