Ramirez strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
ScottPhillips

Ramirez strings

Postby ScottPhillips » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:26 am

I see that Ramirez offers two sets of medium tension strings, one with an extra third string (in carbon) and a set withou. I am just wondering why you would want just one carbon string?

petermc61

Re: Ramirez strings

Postby petermc61 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:57 am

The G string is well known to be a bit 'tubby' sounding. A number of people find that carbon G sounds better and transitions the sound between the wound d and a nylon b that would a nylon G.

You might ask why not then just buy carbon trebles? That's because many people find carbon b and e strings to be bright and sometimes thin tonally. The carbon G/nylon b and e works very well as a set on many instruments.

Regards
Peter

zupfgeiger

Postby zupfgeiger » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:48 am

Totally agree. Apart from the fact, that I prefer Knobloch carbon g string over Ramirez. They sound excellent, very nylon-like, not bright at all, but feel much better than clumsy nylon g strings. A joy to play - and they last for many months.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:10 am

zupfgeiger wrote:Totally agree. Apart from the fact, that I prefer Knobloch carbon g string over Ramirez. They sound excellent, very nylon-like, not bright at all, but feel much better than clumsy nylon g strings. A joy to play - and they last for many months.

+1 on Knobloch. By far my favourite carbon G.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:13 am

Time for a plug for these strings.

I have been searching for the best strings for my Simon Ambridge 'Hauser'. A remarkable guitar, thanks Dofpic!

I was playing it during the week when I checked the strings installed on it - Ramirez medium tension basses and Mari 100p trebles. This surprised me a little as the Ramirez are normally a little "fatter" sounding than they are on the Ambridge. On it, they have a lovely balance of warmth and brightness and a great variety of tone. The Mari (with about 40 hours on them) were getting just a little scratchy so time to change them out. After pondering a few choice for trebles I went for the Ramirez so I had a full set installed. Just have to say the tone and beauty of the guitar with these strings (particularly the top e and b) is remarkable. The g is a little less defined and more tubby than the Mari, and I may yet try a Knobloch carbon G. Despite the slight tubbiness the Ramirez g is very musical so it may stay on a while.

I'm A happy chappie at the moment.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:47 am

Does anybody know where to get the Ramirez strings for less than 20 bucks a set. And I wonder who makes their strings for them? I mean they farm-out a significant number of their guitars to other factories, and I imagine that that is true with the strings too.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:54 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:Does anybody know where to get the Ramirez strings for less than 20 bucks a set. And I wonder who makes their strings for them? I mean they farm-out a significant number of their guitars to other factories, and I imagine that that is true with the strings too.

Mail order from Strings by Mail, US$17 a set.

The question has been asked on this forms a few times and the answer is nobody here knows.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Trader Joe's now sells bourbon for $14.99 down here in Louisville. In the spirit of 2 buck chuck (now $3) I nicknamed it 3 Lincoln Drinkin' (three $5 bills will get you a bottle). It was easy to find out who makes it--Buffalo Trace. Of course BT is not using their formula which they use to make their own bourbon. TJ bourbon is the equivalent of a factory guitar? Anyway, for food products it is probably very easy to find out who makes what given the FDA requires some transparency. For guitar strings it is probably not as easy unless eating strings becomes the new thing.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”