Tying strings to a tailpiece. - Solved!

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Fingers

Tying strings to a tailpiece. - Solved!

Post by Fingers » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:56 pm

I have a new-to-me classical guitar with a tailpiece. The strings I bought need to be tied. Anybody have any idea how to tie on to it? It's an Eko but there are no other markings stating model. Is it even a classical guitar?
Last edited by Fingers on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fingers

Re: Tying strings to a tailpiece.

Post by Fingers » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:45 pm

Sorry guys, I meant to attach some pictures but I guess they were too large for the forum. I just discovered that I can't resize photos on my tablet with my current set of apps. I'm going to try a bit more with it, because it's something I shold know how to do, but if I'm unsuccessful I'll load them up with my laptop. Please bear with me.

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:31 am

Okay, I think I've got them sized appropriately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:48 am

It doesn't look like any classical guitar I've ever seen. Some sort of jazz/steel/who-knows-what hybrid? Good luck.

robert e

Post by robert e » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:03 am

This may be a stupid question, but how are the current strings attached?

From what I can tell of the diameter of the winding posts, I suspect this guitar was made for steel strings. One can, however, buy nylon strings with ball ends, or tie big knots at the end of them to simulate ball ends. Do these strings actually fit properly in the nut slots?

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:25 am

When I bought it the strings just had a knot tied in the end. I tried the same thing but had one repeatedly pull through. If the tailpiece was meant to simply have knotted strings, the slots should vary in size to accommodate the different thickness of strings. In fact, all the slots are the same width. This unit appears to require ball end strings, but it has a classical head.

I could put steel strings on it, but if it's a classical, then the tension may be too much for the neck. I don't need another steel string acoustic, but aybe I can trade it for a classical.

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:27 am

By the way, now that you mention nut slots, I remember seeing that the strings didn't seem to fit properly in the slot. I guess I have my answer.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:26 pm

Steel string:

EKO
model P8

Jazz Blues fingerstyle
Guitar

Made in Italy arround the mid 1960s

- about 98cm total length, scale lenght 64cm
- mahogany top with multiple purfling/binding, with Eko decal and original & unique marbeled Eko perloide pickguard
- nice grained mahogany body with arched back and solid mahogany sides, lower bout 35,7cm, center bout 24cm, upper bout 27,7cm, sides`height 8,5cm
- totally straight set mahogany neck with multiple reinforcement stripes (strong Eko neck, will never bend under normal circumstances), rosewood fingerboard with slightly radius, 18 frets + zerofret, large dot grip aids, original multi-ply nut, width at nut 49mm
- original tuners, Eko stamped
- quality rosewood bridge
- original steel tailpiece
- original strap pin
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Fingers

Re: Tying strings to a tailpiece

Post by Fingers » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:03 pm

How about that? Thanks very much, Beowulf! So it's a fingerstyle guitar after all, just with steel strings. Well, I have plenty of steel strings in stock, so Ithink I'll string the little thing up and have a go. It's a parlor guitar and I don't have one of those in my collection, so I'm ahead of the game. Considering I bought it at auction for under $30 there was no losing anyway.

Beowulf

Re: Tying strings to a tailpiece. - Solved!

Post by Beowulf » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:07 pm

Groovy! Let us know how she plays and sounds.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:34 pm

That is a heck of a guitar for < 30 bucks! I know that head type in the steel string world is called a "Slotted" headstock. Let's us know how it sounds and how you like it.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:27 pm

Use the Thomastik Infield strings for a hybrid/nylon steel sound, it will allow you to practice classical technique, and also fingerstyle...

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:29 pm

So I strung it up with the steel strings but of course it can't hold a candle to my Gibson. The action is good, especially considering it had nylon strings on it. As Beowulf said, it has a good neck that won't bend. I find it kind of tinny but the neck is a little wider than what I usually use so that's in line with the classical style. The floating bridge is unique to my experience so I have to play around with that.

I'm going to look into those Thomastik strings, MessyTendon. Thanks for the tip. The strings I put on are pretty cheap and I'm comparing it to a Gibson with coated Elixers on it. Maybe a quality set of strings will improve the sound.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:00 pm

That l'il darlin' needs to be woken up with playing for awhile...she's been asleep for what appears to be some time. Then experiment with different strings.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:48 am

When you change the strings just intonate the 1st and 6th strings with a strobe and from then on change them one at a time. I had an old Gretsch that had a bridge like that. It won't move as long as ther is string tension. But anytime you change string brand or gauge you have to re-intonate which is kind of a pain in the arse.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”