Opinions on Dogal NR88B Hard tension strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
jferris

Opinions on Dogal NR88B Hard tension strings?

Post by jferris » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:07 am

Hey there, everyone

I've been looking into new strings but have many questions. Typically I play Augustine Regal Blue's, but am looking for a less strong tension as I'm curious to the tonal effect it will have on my Ramirez. I've come across the Dogal NR88B's, and from what I've read, people speak kindly about them. Does anyone here have any experience with these strings? Would someone be able to compare them to the Regal Blues and break it down for me here? Any information would appreciated and considered. Thanks, everyone! Cheers. :merci:
"The Guitar is the instrument most complete and richest in its harmonic and polyphonic possibilities."
- Manuel de Falla

Brandon Walker

Re: Opinions on Dogal NR88B Hard tension strings?

Post by Brandon Walker » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi there,

I saw your post looking lonely... I googled NR88B and found out it's the Dogal Venetian strings you are referring to. These strings are on my (long) list of strings to try, so if you do give them a go, please let us know what you think. :)

I have tried Dogal Infinito strings, which I think are a very unusual and interesting option (there is a thread discussing them), with clear, singing trebles, nicely rounded and full. They did not suit the guitar I had them on - it has a loud voice, and became too prominent and unsubtle in tone; they went a lot better on another instrument, though.

My understanding from other posts on Dogal strings is that their tension is comparatively low - something you may want to consider if you are moving from Augustine Regal Blue, although I'm sure you know there is no substitute for just having a go; the rest is just guesswork. The Regals have a smooth and rounded tone to my ear; my guess is that you might get at the least a pleasant surprise if you try Dogal's formula on the same instrument. At any rate, the search is often as important as the find; do post if you find out anything interesting.

All the best for the festive.

-Brandon

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”