Aquila Zaffiro Non-Petro Nylon

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Keith

Aquila Zaffiro Non-Petro Nylon

Post by Keith » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Aquila Zaffiro strings were mentioned in another thread and I investigated them and learned they are made with plant based oil rather than petro oil. In researching non-petro nylon I learned castor oil is used--finally, a good use of that nasty oil once used in the olden days to regulate one's bowels. I am curious as to how non-petro nylon holds up and the quality of sound. Any other string makers using non-petro nylon?
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

epcritmo

Re: Aquila Zaffiro Non-Petro Nylon

Post by epcritmo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:11 am

Hi I'm interested in environmentally friendly strings too.

Have you tried them?

I need bright powerful trebles as I don't play classical music, but songs by John Fahey for example.
Camps Primera Negra A, Cordoba Mini M, NeckUp,
Music I play/am learning currently: Bert Jansch, John Fahey, Joseph Spence, Ali Farka Touré, Bob Dylan, Santaolalla
https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:47 pm

I don't know how they hold up, but they feel soft and easy on the fingers. They are bright sounding. I can't say they are bad or good, I like them but really take most kindly to the Nylguts.

I think the Zaffiro is a good string, if you like Savarez brightness of the trebles. But the basses are nylgut, warm and not at all bright like a fresh set of basses. I prefer deep and percussive to bright and ringing.

epcritmo

Post by epcritmo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:14 am

I have recently tried the Alabastro set from aquila, but as I have moved from steel strings, I preferred the stiffer feel and more powerful sound of the Savarez Alliance. This is to do with my style of playing and the songs I play.

I am concerned enough about the environment to consider these strings (I am a biology teacher!), so can anyone who has tried both the Alabastro set and the Zaffiro set, give a description of the differences and similarities, especially to do with the perceived projection, the brightness (I have read that they are bright like carbons, so is this more than the alabastro set?) and the feel.

Camps Primera Negra A, Cordoba Mini M, NeckUp,
Music I play/am learning currently: Bert Jansch, John Fahey, Joseph Spence, Ali Farka Touré, Bob Dylan, Santaolalla
https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:34 pm

If you want stiffer get the Alabastro in "superior tension" They are pretty darn tight.

Zaffiro strings are lower in tension than Savarez if you are using higher tension strings. The Zaffiro strings are bright if that's what you are after, but maybe a touch warmer than the Zaffiro. I think most Aquila strings favor a warmer timbre than other brands. There is a warmth and brightness to them that I quite like.

Now if you want a cross over string, look at the Thomastik Rope Core Flatwound strings, they are a hybrid steel/nylon...

Leo

Post by Leo » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Cristallo and Zaffiro are my two favorite types of strings, both sweet and rich and the Zaffiro a bit brighter. For some reason the Alabastro's high E string seems a bit dull to me on my guitars. :)

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”