Aquila Basses

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Icarus11

Aquila Basses

Post by Icarus11 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi,

Can you tell me what are the different basses from Aquila, I feel that they are similar in a lot of different set?

Keith

Re: Aquila Basses

Post by Keith » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:46 pm

different tensions for one. go to stringsbymail for a good description of the various lines.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:51 pm

The standard alabastro are in different tensions. The Ambra/Romantic have a different core material, contributing to an overall different sound. If you want a warmer less bright tone, the Ambra are the basses you want to use.

If you want to have a brighter, but still warm tone, the standard nylgut basses that are included in the regular model strings are the way to go. I highly recommend them if you want a warm, full percussive tone. The lack of brightness and punch is something you miss at first, but once you get accustomed to the overall tone, I think you might be pleased.

Different strings for different folks.
Even with tarnished windings and copper showing, I still retain a pretty good tone on my sets. The D strings...well they just like to wear so much faster than the others...

Icarus11

Post by Icarus11 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:00 pm

Thank you Messy, so the basses are the same for Alabastro, Perla, Zaffiro, Cristallo and Rubino with different tensions for Alabastro and Perla. Ambra 900 and 800 are different, Granato too and Seta are in silk. Is that a fair summation?

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:35 am

Yeah Icarus...very close. I am pretty sure they are all the same basses. The Cristallo are the most normal sounding strings I think Aquila has ever produced. If you like D Addario EJ45 or EJ46 strings the Cristallo will give you a fairly brilliant and neutral color to the sound in the trebles. The basses have a signature warmth and lack of immediate brightness. I happen to like this characteristic a lot.

As the strings age they remain warm and percussive, some would describe it as dead. But I sort of disagree. Certain basses in fresh packs of strings have this big bright ringing overtone to them, then they lose that brilliance and it sounds weaker.

The Aquila remain full bodied even as they age and get really used up.

The Granato trebles the same as the Rubino, so if you want to mix trebles and basses they are a nice string, but on the brighter side. I think the Perla are a bit firmer in feel than regular tension strings and have a bit more sparkle than Pro Arte strings. If I were to transition to this over Pro Arte I'd be happy if I enjoyed Pro Arte strings. I simply don't care for them and I've been a D Addario steel player for decades.

The Zaffiro is a nice alternative to nylon, I think the feel of the strings is slightly more supple than regular nylon and the tone is really bright and sweet.

I like the Alabastro strings a lot, they just have a sound of their own.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:50 am

I've only used the Alabastro basses, but I have to say that they sound good as they age. Surprisingly good. Sad that they don't last forever like the treble strings do. :mrgreen: I'm exaggerating there as the trebles don't actually last forever. They just seem to. And that would depend on the abrasiveness of your nails, certainly.

Strings are always an adventure. Trying a new set of strings is like trying out a new mic for recording... a new filter to listen to your playing through. We're in a golden age of guitar strings, I think. Thanks, Mimmo, should you see this, for your part in that.

Leo

Post by Leo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:13 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
I like the Alabastro strings a lot, they just have a sound of their own.
They do have a unique sound, last a long time, and are well priced.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”