Bass strings with the least intonation problems?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Moje

Bass strings with the least intonation problems?

Post by Moje » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:42 am

After a solid couple of years making the rounds I'm back to plain-jane pro-artes; damn good strings for the most part. But every so often I get a bass string with really bad intonation, the better part of a semitone in some cases. My saddles are professionally-made replacements (although the Sakurai isn't compensated the intonation is usually fine.)

I don't recall ever having this problem with Savarez, but then I also haven't used them nearly as much as D'addario. It's possible that I've just had bad luck and D'addario are on average as good as any other but I do know some strings are prone to intonation problems (Oasis trebles, I'm looking at you . . . )

Anyway thanks to the magic of SBM I can easily order mixed sets so I'm open to all suggestions,
Thanks for reading,
m.
2014 Michael Thames 650mm Cedar & IRW
1976 No. 10 Sakurai 660mm Spruce & IRW

Jack Douglas

Re: Bass strings with the least intonation problems?

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:35 am

Personally I've never had an intonation problem with basses. Depending on your budget you could try Luthier Dark Silver, Hannabach 815 med tension, knobloch, and Pyramid Sterling silver.
Hauser III 2014!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:38 am

EJ45, while not a string I am that much in love with, has a reputation (well deserved) for excellent intonation. I always have a set around I can throw on if I have a new guitar with intonation problems - usually they point back to the previous strings as the source of the problem.

I'd say you have just had some bad luck.

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:44 am

Ive never had this problem. I variously use different tensions of Augustine, D'addario, or sometimes ill try something different. I had a treble string that was off out of the package once, (e i think it was) but only once. I don't remember who made it.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”